Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #1696
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@SASSBS - the officially released version does not support AZW3 files. There is an unofficial version in the last few pages somewhere, but use at your own risk/no idea how well it works. It is not the firmware changing causing your issues - it is your desire to start using azw3 format
Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #1697
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@SASSBS: As kiwidude said, the latest official version doesn't handle .azw3 files.

The patched version is available here .

The main goal was to be more friendly with Touch users, but the backward compat was (vaguely) tested on a K3, so you should be safe, without losing any features .
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #1698
splitloop
splitloop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3G
Question

How do you, guys, add new books to your Kindle with this plugin? I thought I'll be able to send them to collections from my computer, but how should I do this?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #1699
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
See the first post in the this thread for a description of how to use the plugin.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #1700
splitloop

I've read the first page thoroughly, but yet didn't understand the workflow..
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #1701
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@splitloops - if you can't understand the first post, then just do some googling to find examples from others. For instance this post is quite good:
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/using-k...n-for-calibre/

I personally don't agree with its "recommendation" to use a custom column, I think for most users requirements (like having collections by author) the simplicity of an automatic collection is the way to go. That is what I use. But if you want more flexibility then a custom column will give you that.

Then all you have to do is plug in your device, send books to your Kindle, then click on the Kindle Collections icon to get it to regenerate your collections for you - eject the device, restart it and job done.

Alternatively you can use the Reading List plugin to allow you to queue up books for when the Kindle is next connected, and it can be configured to automatically call this plugin and regenerate the collections, saving you remembering to click.

It doesn't get any simpler than that - the only hard part is the initial configuration.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1702
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
@NiLuJe thanks got the collections working now
Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #1703
splitloop

@kiwidude - thanks, now I got it.
Quote:
the simplicity of an automatic collection is the way to go.
but if I have 100+ authors, 100 collections instead of 100 books won't make any difference.. Or am I missing something?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #1704
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@splitloop: Unless you have multiple books by the same author, or you set a minimum threshold greater than 1 for the author column .
Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #1705
splitloop

most of my books won't meet that criteria, so what will be the effect of the affair? And I read articles from different websites, where will they go?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #1706
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Kindle Collections not hadling .azw3 on K3

I have a K3, with the newly released 3.4 firmware.

I have been experimenting with .azw3 file formats, and they are being handled mostly quite well.

However, Kindle Collections does not recognise them, or include them in my collections. As an experiment, I removed two .mobi files from my K3, used Calibre to convert them to the .azw3 format, then used Calibre to add them back to the K3.

I then used Kindle Collections to recreate my collections, and the two books were not included in the collections where they would normally be found. Scanning the K3, I am able to find and read the books, but I notice that if I try to use the Kindle Collections manual process, it thinks these books have no files.

Is there some setting required for Kindle Collections to recognise them properly?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #1707
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I have a K3, with the newly released 3.4 firmware.

I have been experimenting with .azw3 file formats, and they are being handled mostly quite well.

However, Kindle Collections does not recognise them, or include them in my collections. As an experiment, I removed two .mobi files from my K3, used Calibre to convert them to the .azw3 format, then used Calibre to add them back to the K3.

I then used Kindle Collections to recreate my collections, and the two books were not included in the collections where they would normally be found. Scanning the K3, I am able to find and read the books, but I notice that if I try to use the Kindle Collections manual process, it thinks these books have no files.

Is there some setting required for Kindle Collections to recognise them properly?
Hi
Just FW upgrading my K3 to fw 3.4 so no experience yet.
But I think you should look at this post, in this thread, on this page :-)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1697
Let us know if it's the solution.
Cheers,
Old 09-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #1708
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Bernard - see the top of this very page for two answers about this

I'm sure meme will release a new official version soon for this, but we are putting massive effort into an upcoming Sigil release at the moment so I know his time has been limited. In the meantime there is that version linked above you could try if you want to, some others have reported success with it as a workaround.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #1709
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hah!

Believe it or not, I had read those posts, but for some reason, had in mind that a newer version had already been released, don't ask me why. So I thought I was reporting on a newer release. I think I shall blame Harry, who reported he is reading .azw3 exclusively.

Thanks for the replies.

I can be patient.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #1710
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
...I think I shall blame Harry, who reported he is reading .azw3 exclusively. ...
Bother!

IIRC, Harry maintains his collections manually. I shall have to find someone else to blame.
Closed Thread