Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Can Nook read Multi-level TOC?

I'm reading "The Nightmarys" and it's got a multileveled TOC, which I assume means it's built with

<h1>Part #</h1>

<h2>Chapter #</h2>

The problem comes when I go between multiple devices, I read several chapters on my phone which Aldiko supports the multiple layers, to my Nook, where I see only the Part numbers.

Is this an issue for anyone else?

EDIT: After looking at the ePub in REGEX mode, I found that even the Chapters have the <h1> tags, it looks like this:

<body>
<h1 class="chapter" id="c01"><a id="page8"></a>1.</h1>

And reads with just the number 1. But it doesn't show up in the TOC on the Nook, but does everywhere else.

Last edited by jhempel24; 12-07-2010 at 06:28 AM.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I'm reading "The Nightmarys" and it's got a multileveled TOC, which I assume means it's built with

<h1>Part #</h1>

<h2>Chapter #</h2>
That's not actually true. In ePub, all of the TOC information is in a .ncx file. Reading software does not use the content for this purpose.

Quote:
Is this an issue for anyone else?
nook supported multi-level TOC until 1.4. They appear to have taken this away with the 1.5 update, but I haven't used my nook extensively since the Nook Color came out.

The Nook Color does not support multi-level TOC, either.

No cover support for O'Reilly and no multi-level TOC support (heavily used by O'Reilly) makes me think the development team doesn't have any programmers.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Something happened in the 1.5 update. Some e-books with multi-level ToC are fine, others now only show the top level. I've looked at the NCX files from one of each, and I don't see any significant difference. It makes no sense to me.

By the way, Sigil gives the same results as NOOK 1.5. But darned if I know why.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
While it is true that epub uses the table of contents file for its TOC, and not any particular data in the file (like H1s), the original poster is no doubt thinking about the fact that Sigil generates its TOC by using H1 and H2 entries.

I do know that an epub file that I have been working on in Sigil used to show h1 and h2 TOC items on the Nook. Under 1.5 it only shows the h1 items. In Sigil, all the items (h1s and h2s) are checked in the TOC tool to be used for TOC entries, and they all appear properly in the TOC display of Calibre Viewer, Adobe Digital Editions, and the Firefox Plugin.

Sooooo, I think that 1.5 in the Nook just lost its ability to show secondary TOC items.

As far as the original question about the epub file having chapters that are implemented with h1 tags but are not showing up in the TOC, I'd suggest opening the file in Sigil and looking with the TOC tool. Maybe those entries that aren't working are not checked? But then I can not explain why they are showing up in the TOC in other devices. Sounds odd.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad there are people smarter than me on here that can decipher what I mean by my cryptic messages LOL.

Yes, I was looking at the HTML inside Sigil. And it really stinks that it doesn't support multi-level toc, I guess now I'll just make all my Chapter Markers the same rather than embedded and nice and neat.

I really hope they fix this, but of course, I'm using the softrooted 1.5. So maybe the nookdevs will come up with something.
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
traycold
Connoisseur
traycold doesn't littertraycold doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo Hd, Kobo H2O2
hi all,
i realized a modified version of Nook ePub reader application. Its main purpose is to allow using custom fonts other than the 3 default ones (i.e. Amasis, Helvetica and Light Classic).
But, as a bonus feature, this version also solvea the TOC issue mentioned in this thread. With this version, the TOC is loaded up to level 3 (that i suppose it's the behaviour of previous firmware). This should be enough, but in case is needed, it would be possible to increase it up to any leve with a slight modification.
You can find the files and the install procedure on my blog.
Of course, you will need to have a rooted firmware based on original 1.5.0 (like for instance the softroot 2.5.1 by Perfinion).
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

I'll give this a shot tonight when I get into work! Thanks man!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard

Just followed the instructions on your blog, and everything worked as it should, and now it reads the multi-level TOC's!!!!

Perfect, and thanks for your hard work!!!

EDIT: Just an FYI, you have to re-register your Nook and re-download your files, at least I did anyway....the book that I did have to re-download still left off on my bookmarked position, but everything worked just fine!

Last edited by jhempel24; 12-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
traycold
Connoisseur

Quote:
EDIT: Just an FYI, you have to re-register your Nook and re-download your files, at least I did anyway....the book that I did have to re-download still left off on my bookmarked position, but everything worked just fine!
Thanks for your feedback.
I don't know if you are also interested in font hack and if you tried it. If you have any feedback on it, please let me know.

Regarding the issue you mentioned, that is caused probably by the fact that overwriting the reader application with a new version, the existing B&N registration data are invalidated / deleted. To be honest, my Nook is not registered (as i'm not in USA and my native language is not English, i normally don't use at all B&N direct purchase feature), so i don't have occasion to test registration related issues.

Anyway, i will add your remark in my blog.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard

I did try the Font, I went between Georgia and Book Antiqua, they looked the same, I'm using Amasis right now, it seems to work well, the other two spaced the lines too close together.

Also, in your instructions, you have connecting through ADB over USB, but you can't do that with 1.5, you have to do it through Wi-Fi, I already knew that, so it wasn't an issue.

Other than that, it worked great!! I had one book that was on my Nook software that I didn't sideload, so I was worried when I couldn't access that, but figured it out when I went to the original library, and the it said I needed to register. Once that happened it was all good.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
traycold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Also, in your instructions, you have connecting through ADB over USB, but you can't do that with 1.5, you have to do it through Wi-Fi, I already knew that, so it wasn't an issue.
actually, the latest softroot firmware (2.5.1) by Perfinion allows ADB over USB and it's based on original 1.5.0 firmware. I'm pretty sure of it because i did all my test using it and i used ADB over USB.
The link to that firmware is on my blog.

Again, thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

hmm....okay, so there is a new softroot firmware then?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
traycold
Connoisseur

Quote:
hmm....okay, so there is a new softroot firmware then?
it was released on 24/11/2010 by Perfinion, i.e. just some hours later than the 2.5.0 (i.e. the version not including ADB over USB).
But on Nookdevs site there is no official mention of this firmware (apart on some discussion page, i think; i didn't verify); i got the info about this firmware on #nookdevs irc channel.

Regards
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
jhempel24
Wizard

Ah okay, thanks! I'll update at some point, but using Wi-fi isn't that big of a deal. Just takes a little bit longer.