Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
JetBook use questions

I have started to load ebooks onto a 2GB SD, although I have ample room on the device itself to hold the books. Is there any disadvantage to reading off of the SD as opposed to the internal memory?

Is there a virus or something that appears as a book called "Fernando?" shown as on device "flash". I saw this book - opened it and the device crashed. Easy to reset, then I attached to my laptop and couldn't find the file. Did a virus-scan of the folders and SD card and didn't find anything. "Fernando" did not appear and everything works fine now.

Can I clean the screen with the same "wipes" that I use for my laptop and netbooks LCD? Answer probablyy is yes, but thought I'd ask.

I'll probably have a few more questions as I play with formating files, but that's all for now!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I have started to load ebooks onto a 2GB SD, although I have ample room on the device itself to hold the books. Is there any disadvantage to reading off of the SD as opposed to the internal memory?

Is there a virus or something that appears as a book called "Fernando?" shown as on device "flash". I saw this book - opened it and the device crashed. Easy to reset, then I attached to my laptop and couldn't find the file. Did a virus-scan of the folders and SD card and didn't find anything. "Fernando" did not appear and everything works fine now.

Can I clean the screen with the same "wipes" that I use for my laptop and netbooks LCD? Answer probablyy is yes, but thought I'd ask.

I'll probably have a few more questions as I play with formating files, but that's all for now!
Other than more storage space, the SD card would have no advantage over the internal flash. Now some conjecture. I don't know the number of write cycles that the internal flash is rated for, so I guess it may be possible to exceed this by constantly copying to it. I would think that in real use, this is not an issue. The internal flash is probably faster and more energy efficient than the SD card. (Probably. I have no data.) I would use whichever is more convenient and not worry about it.

I don't know what to tell you about "Fernando". Perhaps it was a corrupt ebook file.

I believe the front of the screen is glass, so anything you can safely use to clean glass should be fine. I use regular window cleaner (without ammonia). Just make sure not to let any liquid run down inside the device. It is safer to spray the liquid onto the cloth first. On LCD screens with plastic fronts, you have to be more particular about what you clean them with.

Hey, why do you need to clean your screen anyway? It's not a touch screen, so it shouldn't be covered in fingerprints already And when you're not reading, your precious Jetbook should be safely tucked away in it's snug little case
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fast becoming addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Hey, why do you need to clean your screen anyway? It's not a touch screen, so it shouldn't be covered in fingerprints already And when you're not reading, your precious Jetbook should be safely tucked away in it's snug little case
I seem to be a "make a mess" type of person!

Will clean as you suggest - thanks for the info! I haven't noticed any delay with using the SD card, or any difference whatsoever. The SD is easier to update when I finish reading the 50-or-so books I've already loaded onto it. Seriously, I could go about 2 years without having to do anything but top off the battery every week or so.

I find that I reach for the jetBook to read with over either of my other 2 netbooks, even at home. I'm fast becoming addicted.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you do not have need for the SD card because all of your content currently fits into the internal memory, then what you will be saving is battery life between charges. The SD card does take battery to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you do not have need for the SD card because all of your content currently fits into the internal memory, then what you will be saving is battery life between charges. The SD card does take battery to use.
Note that I said "The internal flash is probably faster and more energy efficient than the SD card. (Probably. I have no data.)" If you have hard data from Ectaco, or current consumption measurements that you have taken on an actual Jetbook, please share.

Not knowing the read current of either the internal flash or the SD card (which probably varies by brand), it would be difficult to make a blanket statement. If all of the ebooks are on the SD card, then the internal flash is not being read and would most likely only be drawing a minimal standby/sleep current. We just don't have enough information on the actual parts and design used in this particular reader to know for sure.

Having said that, I doubt that the additional current draw of an SD card would affect the battery life significantly (my opinion at this point). I may do a test with my Jetbook to determine if it matters or not. If I do, I'll certainly report my findings.

The situation may be different with eInk devices. Since they don't draw as much current continuously, the additional current draw of an SD card may be a more significant percentage of the whole. I have no hard data, so this is just speculation, based on my knowledge of electronics.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru

Hmmm...actually I seem to remember reading something like what Jon writes in his post (SD card draws power). Don't know if it'll make a difference to me as I don't read many hours per day and am happy to recharge every 7-10 days. Maybe I'll see how this week goes with the SD card inserted? Thank you both for looking into this.

At least I don't have to have the SD in to prevent dust from entering the card-slot - the jetBook has a protective cover for the 2 ports. But, I bought the SD card 'specially for this use so I would like to use it. Maybe I'll put some music or an audio book on it - the card is practically empty with only the 50 books!

Probably playing audio drains the battery much faster?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I believe the front of the screen is glass, so anything you can safely use to clean glass should be fine. I use regular window cleaner (without ammonia). Just make sure not to let any liquid run down inside the device. It is safer to spray the liquid onto the cloth first. On LCD screens with plastic fronts, you have to be more particular about what you clean them with.
Actually the jetBook screen IS LCD, that's why the refresh time is acceptable and the horrid eInk flash doesn't exist.

As for it being glass, I've seen no specs either way; but I think it's plastic.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
yea i say plastic too, doesn't feel anywhere near like the itouch.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
I don't use the internal memory at all as all my books fit nicely on my SD card.

As for the screen I say its plastic,but I don't know for sure.
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
SNIP SNIP
Probably playing audio drains the battery much faster?
I know that it does on the 505 and you have to be careful to make sure that the music is turned totally off when done or it will continue to drain.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I know that it does on the 505 and you have to be careful to make sure that the music is turned totally off when done or it will continue to drain.

I keep all my books on 2GB SD card and I didn't find any problem with jetBook battery.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
JennBandersnatch
JennBandersnatch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
I just got my Jetbook and love using it so far. However, I am having trouble recharging it. It doesn't seem to charge w/ the wall adapter at all, and I left it plugged into my USB for the better part of 2 days and can't seem to get it better than 2 bars.

Is the LED light supposed to come on to show it's charging or is there some other visual clue?

I'm getting frustrated with it now and need to know if I should send it back for a replacement.

Any advice? Anyone else have a similar problem?
JennBandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
wiggle it,

if you plug it in usb, and all you see on the jetbook is the connection to the pc, but not the charging battery screen, wiggle the plug, imo i think it's either loose or cheaply made(thats how mine felt)

if not that, power off your jetbook , or even restart it(the recessed button on the back, get a toothpick, pin, etc) reset it, then poweroff and make sure you see the power charging screen, if not, keep wiggling.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
JennBandersnatch
JennBandersnatch began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
What does the battery charging screen look like?

Should I have the Jetbook on while it's charging?

Does the LED light come one while charging?

I tried plugging it in and wiggling it. It shows it as connected to my PC but I can't tell if it's charging or not.
JennBandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
rgeorg
Guru

When I used the A/C adapter it had a very graphic "charging" screen. It never changed to "all done" - but I left it on all night and the battery indicator read "full" when I switched on the device. Perhaps you have a faulty A/C adapter? Is there any way to check or return/replace?