Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #91
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Another Chicago area resident here.
So let's get something planned. Everyone is welcome to a party at my place. Pool table, big screen, poker table, etc. I think I can even arrange wine/cheese, if we get enough people to come and chip in a few bucks apiece.

Home-warming gifts appreciated but not required.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #92
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Strange... ...Hard to imagine why anyone would move into the "loop". Particularly someone on a budget. Do you rent or own? I couldn't figure it out and got very confused by the mention of apartments that didn't come with appliances. In my thirteen years of living in Chicago proper I have not heard of such a thing. Its a big city with lots of affordable housing, complete with appliances.

Perhaps it is your choice of neighborhood. The loop is primarily a business district. Great for the swanky and well-to-do but since you are new in town and claim to be on a budget you should consider hopping on a bus or the 'L' and heading into other neighborhoods. To start, you might like Wicker Park. Just take the BLUE line to the Damen stop- Then wander around. Lots of small shops, books stores, cafes, bars, etc. For your next excursion head to Lake View. Just take the RED line to the Belmont stop- Then wander around. Similar stuff but different then what you will find in Wicker park. Consider these your starter neighborhoods.

Beyond that I recommend doing your homework and/or joining some local interest groups:

CTA (Chicago Transit Authority)
http://www.transitchicago.com/

Neighborhoods of Chicago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_of_Chicago

MeetUp
http://www.meetup.com/

Yelp
http://www.yelp.com/chicago

You've mentioned you are new in "town" and looking for things to do and people to socialize with but I didn't read anything in this thread that describes what interests you. Beyond Mobile Reading that is.

As for me, I'm a Chicago resident. I live in a neighborhood known as East Rogers Park which is way up north but very affordable and also in spite of gentrification still quite culturally diverse. For work I head down to Streeterville which is the area east of Michigan avenue and north of the Chicago river, near the apparently rather famous West Egg Cafe.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Do to being a creature of habit I'm not a Chicago expert by any means but I figured this little bit of advice and information would be better then nothing.

Feel free to inquire about anything more specific then the city as a whole.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #93
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm here too -- but you only asked on Saturday (at least, that's when I saw the note) and my weekend was already spoken for. Besides, "I'm so much cooler on line" .... I'm an introvert and prefer to do the listening. Need at least 2 or 3 other people so I'm not required to be witty in real time.

That, plust I *hate* to drive in Chicago. Maybe we could pick a meeting place near Water Tower Place, and I could have the excuse of doing some shopping (that I don't need, and would never do in an expensive place like that).

bgDeb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi dcbcreative, i see you're new here so this thread might seem a bit strange to you. but actually we've started a tradition of organising informal meetups in various cities where members get together to talk about the mobilereading experience (among other subjects). everyone who has a liseuse (reading device) brings it (some people have several !), so you can get the chance to try out different models, and talk about how they work, and such.

originally it was launched by a certain parisian member who was really dying to see an e-ink device in person ! now they've really taken off and we've already had meetups organised in lots of different cities in at least 4 countries (off the top of my head. i hope i'm not forgetting any) ! we even have the "meetup" thread prefix to easily find them (do a search by prefix in the lounge to see all the threads about meetups).

they are a great way to learn more about liseuses and ebooks but also a fun event with people with a shared interest (reading, don'tchaknow ).

as for taylor, once you've been around the forum a little bit you'll realize that among the regulars he needs no further introduction.

so although the catalyst for this meetup was his recent arrival in chicago, as you can see the MobileRead meetups have a large and glorious tradition, if not very long.

welcome to the forum.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #95
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, glad we got that cleared up.

Taylor: The best sandwich in the world can be had at Marshall Field on State, which is erroneously labelled Macy's. In the Frango cafe, it's the chicken salad on cinnamon bread. To die for!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #96
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #97
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints! Frango Mints!
here we go again... i was just waiting for those to come up.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #98
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Taylor: The best sandwich in the world can be had at Marshall Field on State, which is erroneously labelled Macy's. In the Frango cafe, it's the chicken salad on cinnamon bread. To die for!
I second that nomination. I could not *imagine* a sandwich on cinnamon bread until I tasted this one. Yummy, yummy.

I should add that "sandwich" in my mind is a savory, not a sweet. PBJ doesn't count as a "sandwich" any more than an Oreo cookie does!

Last edited by Elsi; 11-11-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #99
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Plus you can pick up some Frango Mints as you walk past the display.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #100
zelda_pinwheel

hm. but what might i find in the way of bonbons, candies, or sweets (etc.) ? like say if i were looking for something sweet yet refreshing all at once ? perhaps something in the mint department ? could anyone recommend anything like that ? preferably, available in chicago, of course. would there be anything like that around there ?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #101
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm. but what might i find in the way of bonbons, candies, or sweets (etc.) ? like say if i were looking for something sweet yet refreshing all at once ? perhaps something in the mint department ? could anyone recommend anything like that ? preferably, available in chicago, of course. would there be anything like that around there ?

You might try Marshall Fields' Frango Mints at Macy's. And they come in lots of flavors besides mint. Watch out for the sugar-free varieties - excessive consumption may cause... well, you remember, right?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

"frango" mints, you say ? i'll have to try to remember that.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #103
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbcreative View Post
Strange... ...Hard to imagine why anyone would move into the "loop". Particularly someone on a budget. Do you rent or own? I couldn't figure it out and got very confused by the mention of apartments that didn't come with appliances. In my thirteen years of living in Chicago proper I have not heard of such a thing. Its a big city with lots of affordable housing, complete with appliances.
Hi. Welcome to MobileRead. The choice of my neighborhood was predicated by location. I work at home, and have clients in Prudential Plaza, the Chase Buiding, One North Dearborn, Sears Tower, etc. I wanted a location within 20 minutes walking of these buildings. Plus, there were some great incentives offered in a new building.

I'm also a culture vulture, so liked being near to Grant Park, the Art Institute, even the library.

The "budget" and "I'm broke" comments you can take as a bit (though just a little bit) of hyperbole. Setting up a new residence after a divorce, so a bit of "I don't even have a spatula" panic.

I'm pretty familiar with Chicago, as I was here very frequently for business, though I love all the great recommendations. Some I knew of, others will be fun excursions.

Deb: Water Tower Place is fine. A good hike, but no problem at all. Yes, let's wait until we get a nice good-sized group together. I'm in no rush, just wanting to do the typical e-book geek oooh-ahh thing.

So, what next? We've thrown out a couple of place ideas:

1. DesCartes coffee, on Michigan
2. My apartment's party room (New East Side, Waker/Randolph area)
3. Water Tower Place

Any other suggestions? Times?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #104
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Indeed, thanks for the welcome to MobileRead and in return welcome to Chicago.

The additional info and clarifications helped considerably in improving my understanding what is fact and what is funny in the post thus far. Some things just don't interpret well without exposure. And then there is spatula humor.

If you care enough to give them the very best, give them a spatula.

Anyhow, it good to discover that your residential placement is out of necessity not naivety. In that case, I actually envy you. It would be nice to just be able to walk a few blocks of so to meet with clients. Instead its the daily commute to the office- Fortunately I am better off then most since I work rather flexible hours and thus rarely, if ever, am in transit during the dreaded urban rush hour.

The horror.

I noticed that you sketch and doodle. It was sketching and doodling that brought me to MobileRead. Well not the act of so much as the want for something to use as a digital sketch book. I had hopes that one of these newfangled eInk devices with the Wacom stylus could be used for drawing. Alas, not so much- Yet. the point is, if you are interested in drawing, particularly life drawing you might be interested in the following artist groups / social activities:

The Chicago Palette and Chisel
http://www.paletteandchisel.org/

Dr Sketchy's Anti-Art School (Chicago)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Sketchy's_Anti-Art_School
http://www.myspace.com/drsketchyschicago

The Brimstone Drawing Club
http://brimstonedrawingclub.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/brimstonedrawingclub

The first will probably appeal to the culture in you, the other two the vulture. Actually they are all pretty classy and well run organizations even if the later are less then conventional.

For the reader in you, something conventional but unfortunately only annual so mark it on your calendar. Every spring, either the first or second weekend of June be ready for the best street fair in town, Chicago Tribune Printers Row Book Fair, located in the south loop at Dearborn and Polk. Blocks and blocks of books new and old. A little taste of literary heaven.

Until then, I'm game for joining your MobileRead MeetUp. Not sure what I have to offer it since I don't own a mobile reading device and the only real knowledge I have of them I have gleamed from here. Still, if more is the merrier then more it shall be.

Oh, and I second the vote for the Watertower location- But suggest the Boarders Cafe across the street from the mall to be the actual rendezvous spot.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbcreative View Post
Indeed, thanks for the welcome to MobileRead and in return welcome to Chicago.

The additional info and clarifications helped considerably in improving my understanding what is fact and what is funny in the post thus far. Some things just don't interpret well without exposure. And then there is spatula humor.

If you care enough to give them the very best, give them a spatula.
i'm glad we've got that all straightened out. i can tell you're going to fit right in around here (now that you've caught on to the spatula humour. ). take a wander around the lounge for more madness in a similar "spatula humour" vein. i'm glad you've decided to go to the meetup ; it's a great occasion to see different liseuses and get a feel for them, although as you said none yet will really allow you to draw on them.

Tags
10-w-40, blue one next to the fish, can you spare a dime?, chicago, chicagoerrrrr, destitute, he's so pitiful, lonely android, meet-up, meetup, spare change, subverting the system, wd40