Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
PE tethering w/wifi hotspot

Just to let folks know the PE establishes wifi connection just fine with phones that are wifi hotspot enabled. Nexus S comes to mind. Anyone else have experience with this? Do the data tier carriers have a problem with this arrangement? I can see where Sprint would on their unlimited plan? Anyone know?
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
True, wifi hotspots can be used to connect Android to Android for internet. But that's fine if your phones carrier doesn't have a wifi hotspot extra charge to activate. Mine does sadly through Sprint that charges to activate wifi hotspot. That's cool yours works, the AdHoc problem is a nuisance. I suppose I'm on a multiple user account, so that may stop my rooted phone from it too.

If anyone finds a way to steal their wifi hotspot that the company makes you pay for, just keep monthly data use on it reasonable. They usually pick out high rated customers.

What kind of phone do you use?
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Actually w/Sprint the nexus s 4g came from Sprint with the wifi hotspot fully functional. Now heard that their latest update (2.35) cripples the wifi hotspot feature. There is a workaround already out already. So my nexus came from Sprint w/wifi hotspots working (2.34). Frankly when not at home I use the phone for internet and haven't used the hotspot feature except to confirm it works. I use the PE more for reading and reference pet's and not for the net. At home our cell signal so lousy I use our cable internet for everything.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
dee_castile
dee_castile began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
PE tethering w/wifi hotspot

I just received my Pocket eDGe today. Tried to set it up using my iPhone 4 Wi-Fi's hotspot and the eDGe is not seeing it. I cannot manually create the network, either. I thought maybe it was the iPhone, but my laptop is picking it up just fine; in fact, that's how I am on this forum right now.
dee_castile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

dee_castile - this is from obssessed2's sticky thread
"To Setup Wi-Fi: 1. Select Apps 2. Select Network Controls 2. Select Wi-Fi Settings 3. Select Add Wi-Fi network 4. Enter the Network SSID (network name). 5. Select the Security type from the pulldown menu. Enter the password or key for the network if necessary. NOTE: You may select Show password to make sure you are entering the password correctly." When I tested mine it popped right up in the network list
and after entering password the PE connected. Is this the procedure you followed?
I looked at the IP4 wifi hotspot setup should work like the android one does. Luck.

Last edited by bunodosoma; 09-22-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
bumblebum
bumblebum began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe, Kindle 3G, Toshiba NB505, Samsung Gravity
I have broadband with Tmobile, but decided it would be easier to set up my mobile phone using a hotspot. It costs about 15.00 for the tethering plus whatever plan you want about 20 bucks on top of that. Not terrible.

I had immediate connecting. No problems and to tell you the truth...I get better transmission from the Wifi connection than I do on my broadband that drops me like a hot potato....like AOL in the good old phone connection days!

I just made sure that the wifi (under settings on the pe) searched and connected when I turned it on....took less than 10 seconds. Brilliant.
bumblebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
dee_castile

Bunodosoma, that is exactly what I did when I posted that I couldn't set up the network manually, either. I am going to try McD's this morning. I am currently camping. The eDGe picks up a neighbor's MiFi, but can't find my own iPhone which is four inches away. Also, my neighbor's MiFi signal disappears and comes back multiple times within a minute, even though the signal is pretty good. I hope I don't have a defunct eDGe.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

dee_castile I you've probably done this - but have you powered down both the PE and IP4,
bring up IP4 (analagous to resetting router) then start the PE and trying again? I also did a quick forum search and got numerous hits. Also remember the Entourage archive at the top of this forum. Both are amazing sources of info. I'm off to work and don't have time to plough through right now but I'll take a look later. Good luck with public hot spots it'll give more info. Luck.

Another quick thought - is the Personal Hotspots set up to use Bluetooth instead of wifi? Evidently that's an option. And would explain why the PE doesn't see the IP4.

Last edited by bunodosoma; 09-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
You can find all available Networks by pressing the MENU button on the Tablet and selecting Scan on the Wi-Fi Settings Page. This is useful when trying to find a hotspot. I dug up one of the Documents I downloaded from Entourage when I first got my Edge that explains how to connect to a Wireless Network. I also updated the Sticky to include this information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to Connect to a Wireless Network.pdf (11.5 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
dee_castile

Well, I've searched and experimented until I am blue in the face and cannot find a answer to my problem. I have a feeling that the iPhone, with AT&T data service, will not tether to an Android device. I tried Bluetooth and the eDGe is not compatible -- both the phone and the eDGe found each other and paired but then the phone said that edgejr wasn't an authorized device or something like that.
I tried shutting both devices down for 20 minutes and powering back up. I found on another thread that someone created two Wi-Fi networks on the eDGe, one with a password and one open. I tried his method and that didn't work, either. I tried Wi-Fi with Bluetooth on and Wi-Fi with Bluetooth off. Nothing works. I still get the same result "Not in Range."
I did go to McDonald's this morning to see if the Wi-Fi feature of the eDGe actually worked, and it did. I had no problem surfing the net or setting up my e-mail account.

I am very disappointed and unless I can get this thing to recognize my iPhone's Hotspot, the eDGe is worthless to me. I purchased it so that I wouldn't have to lug out my laptop whenever I wanted to look up something quickly. The iPhone is great, but the small screen is killing my eyes.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_castile View Post
Well, I've searched and experimented until I am blue in the face and cannot find a answer to my problem. I have a feeling that the iPhone, with AT&T data service, will not tether to an Android device. I tried Bluetooth and the eDGe is not compatible -- both the phone and the eDGe found each other and paired but then the phone said that edgejr wasn't an authorized device or something like that.
I tried shutting both devices down for 20 minutes and powering back up. I found on another thread that someone created two Wi-Fi networks on the eDGe, one with a password and one open. I tried his method and that didn't work, either. I tried Wi-Fi with Bluetooth on and Wi-Fi with Bluetooth off. Nothing works. I still get the same result "Not in Range."
I did go to McDonald's this morning to see if the Wi-Fi feature of the eDGe actually worked, and it did. I had no problem surfing the net or setting up my e-mail account.

I am very disappointed and unless I can get this thing to recognize my iPhone's Hotspot, the eDGe is worthless to me. I purchased it so that I wouldn't have to lug out my laptop whenever I wanted to look up something quickly. The iPhone is great, but the small screen is killing my eyes.
Check this out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=adhoc
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:

Check this out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=adhoc

I'm not sure if the tether program discussed in this thread has an iPhone version but its worth looking to. It shouldn't matter if the tether is Apple or Android. As ar as the Edge is concerned Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi so there probably is a solution.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
dee_castile

Thanks, obsessed2, but nope. You can tether an Android to an Android and you can tether an AT&T to a Mac and you can tether both to a PC, but I have yet to find someone who has successfully tethered an AT&T to an Android. I saw one forum where it is possible if I jailbroke my iPhone and use MiFi, but because I already have tethering capability and the data service legally, I see no reason to jailbreak my phone.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, obsessed2, but nope. You can tether an Android to an Android and you can tether an AT&T to a Mac and you can tether both to a PC, but I have yet to find someone who has successfully tethered an AT&T to an Android. I saw one forum where it is possible if I jailbroke my iPhone and use MiFi, but because I already have tethering capability and the data service legally, I see no reason to jailbreak my phone.
I wouldn't jailbreak the phone either. I looked around the Internet and found some other info on this. I think it can be done and done without jailbreak.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1759733
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

Have you tried usb tethering? And what about att tech support?

Also found this which made think about usb tethering although their technique made me smile.
http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/how-to...ilbreaking-it/

Last edited by bunodosoma; 09-24-2011 at 12:37 AM.