Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is my kindle display broken

Please look at the attached image. As you can see there is a line (within the 7th line of text) of broken pixels (apparently). Do you think it is a hardware problem? Any of you had the same problem? Do you think there is any chance I get it replaced by amazon? Do they want it to be sent back in advance or I have any chance to be allowed sending it back when the new device arrive (I live in Italy and delivery can be quite slow).

BTW, the device is quite new (Kindle 3 just a few weeks old) and I am a bit upset of what happened.

Thanks in advance for your kind answers/suggestions.
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_kindle.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	62213  
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes I think you would need a replacement unfortunately

Amazon are normally very good about replacements. I have heard of people who've returned the defective device after receiving the new one but you may have to pay for the new one upfront and then be refunded for the old one when Amazon receive it back. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

I don't see this problem reported very often but I don't think the dead pixels will magically go away.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianpaoloc View Post
Please look at the attached image. As you can see there is a line (within the 7th line of text) of broken pixels (apparently). Do you think it is a hardware problem? Any of you had the same problem? Do you think there is any chance I get it replaced by amazon? Do they want it to be sent back in advance or I have any chance to be allowed sending it back when the new device arrive (I live in Italy and delivery can be quite slow).

BTW, the device is quite new (Kindle 3 just a few weeks old) and I am a bit upset of what happened.

Thanks in advance for your kind answers/suggestions.
G.
I also think it needs replacement.

I'm in Europe and Amazon delivered my replacement within 3 days (!)last month; it can help to phone them about the delivery.
You can send the Kindle that gets replaced, back after you've got the replacement, in the same box it came in. They'll refund your cost of shipping if you write that amount on the outside of the box.
For faster customs-clearance, Amazon bills you for the replacement and refunds you that same amount a few days later; promptly.
Don't you worry about it. Just phone them.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I'm in Europe and Amazon delivered my replacement within 3 days (!)last month;
Good thing it happened LAST month.
THIS month you'd have to wait till NEXT month until they send out replacements to Europe...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Good thing it happened LAST month.
THIS month you'd have to wait till NEXT month until they send out replacements to Europe...

Well, at least gianpaololoc can still read, even if he misses a line of pixels.

It looks as if Amazon is speeding her delivery to Europe up .

Last month (19 nov.) I got a message from Amazon they would sent my replacement from 11-24 of jan. I then phoned them, if they couldn't do any better (well, twice and asked nicely) and I got my replacement in a flash, within 3 days.
They also send out the new ones (I 'asked and ordered ' one at the same time for my birthday) very fast; it was also scheduled for jan. but it was delivered yesterday.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
@gianpaololoc : Call Kindle CS, I just did. Your K3 has a black line when showing screensaver as well ? I live in Denmark, have similar problem. Called CS, it only took 6 minutes !! Now I wait for email from replacement team. Tip: Have your kindle order nr. handy;helps with "strange" names, email adresses etc ;-D
Best of luck to you !
@ws64: Hmm - well I could live with next month, if no more problems comes along.
Can still read.
@desertblues: Thanx for the tips. Might have to be polity pushy :-)
Cheers all
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
@gianpaololoc : Call Kindle CS, I just did. Your K3 has a black line when showing screensaver as well ? I live in Denmark, have similar problem. Called CS, it only took 6 minutes !! Now I wait for email from replacement team. Tip: Have your kindle order nr. handy;helps with "strange" names, email adresses etc ;-D
Best of luck to you !
@ws64: Hmm - well I could live with next month, if no more problems comes along.
Can still read.
@desertblues: Thanx for the tips. Might have to be polity pushy :-)
Cheers all
And another good tip when phoning with Amazon:
have the American phone alphabet at hand so you can spell your email etc!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ok, I followed your tips and placed a phone call to the toll free number: 1-877-453-4512. I am in Italy but I used skype and was able to call that number for free (thanks skype :-)

Everything went smooth as reported by other users. They let me restart the kindle just to check it was not a software problem and when confirmed that the "white line" was still there they said me I will receive a replacement soon. Only afterwards I will have to send back my kindle at their expense.
Now I just hope it will arrive before I leave for Christmas, but actually this is not fundamental since my kindle is still usable.

Thanks for your suggestions

G.
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
@gianpaoloc: Just received email from replacement team. My new K3 is shipped and should arive around 8th. or 10th. december. Keep in mind you have 30 days to return the defect K3. Good luck to us both.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote