Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2023, 01:19 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No idea, sorry. That error is basically windows telling calibre it could not create the folder. There's not anything calibre can do at that point. Only suggestions I can come up with is try a different usb cable/port and if that doesnt work try resetting the nook.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 03:57 AM   #17
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
I am also having this issue. I did not have the problem with Calibre 6.28. It started with 6.29. I have reset the device. Made sure the NOOK folder is there and made sure the .calibre files were not present. From what I am seeing from other posts, this seems to be a problem for a lot of users with this device.
irishmac473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:34 AM   #18
Redshirt #24
Redshirt #24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PWSE/Scribe/Oasis 3/PW2, Kobo Sage, Nook GL4+/Simple Touch
I didn't get around to trying to connect my GL4+ to Calibre until after I'd updated it to 7.1.0, but...

Quote:
calibre, version 7.1.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 558, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 229, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 202, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in _update_drive_info
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 161, in put_calibre_file
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 414, in ensure_parent
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 409, in create_folder
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error
The three seemingly expected directories are there on the device, before and after multiple reboots, but there are no files present whatsoever (at least via Windows File Explorer). If I have to create a file and drop it somewhere, okay...but where exactly and what?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:55 PM   #19
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I just bought my Glowlight 4 Plus. I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Am I going to have to stop using Calibre? This is very disappointing. I am not real computer savy. I have been using Calibre for 10 years with many different Nooks and Kindles and have never had this problem. Usually it just works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:30 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I just bought my Glowlight 4 Plus. I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Am I going to have to stop using Calibre? This is very disappointing. I am not real computer savy. I have been using Calibre for 10 years with many different Nooks and Kindles and have never had this problem. Usually it just works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rather than stop using Calibre, I'd stop using Nooks. B&N has tried to find ways to discourage users from sideloading for a long while now. Before the latest Nook their usual tactics was to partition the storage, but now it appears they have found a new way.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #21
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Rather than stop using Calibre, I'd stop using Nooks. B&N has tried to find ways to discourage users from sideloading for a long while now. Before the latest Nook their usual tactics was to partition the storage, but now it appears they have found a new way.
Yes, I know what you are saying. I wish someone else made a nice symmetrical reader with a flush screen and page turn buttons on both sides. I guess we all have our preferences when it comes to features.

I have found that I can sideload books from the Calibre library using Windows file explorer, so that will have to do.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, I know what you are saying. I wish someone else made a nice symmetrical reader with a flush screen and page turn buttons on both sides. I guess we all have our preferences when it comes to features.
I do like their hardware. But as long as their software is the same as it is now, I'm not buying any Nooks. I don't need the frustration and headache.

Of course other brands have their own frustrations and headaches, nothing is perfect. Kobo has the least amount of them for me, though (not saying it's necessarily true for you - as you said, we all have our preferences).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #23
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

I have found that I can sideload books from the Calibre library using Windows file explorer, so that will have to do.
InkBook makes Android readers with flush screens and buttons on both sides ― I have one, the InkBook Focus, which I was using before my wife got me the Nook as a gift ― but they are in Poland, so if you are in the US, getting them shipped is a little pricey. (They used to sell on Amazon in the US but not anymore.) Also the Focus is slower than the GL4+ when running the same apps, not unusably so, but definitely noticeably. Of course it's several years old at this point.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 04:52 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I know nothing of Nooks, but if you can copy books using windows explorer then you should be able to use the "Folder device". It lets you pick a folder somewhere and treat it as a device. Connect the Nook then go to Connect/Share / Connect to folder and navigate to the place on the Nook where copying books books works.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 06:59 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without calibre running, can you create a folder on the nook with Windows Explorer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #26
irishmac473
Enthusiast
irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'irishmac473 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without calibre running, can you create a folder on the nook with Windows Explorer?
Yes you can which led me to believe I might just be able to use Calibre to send my books to the “Nook” folder on the device. But, this does not work either. It worked fine when I first bought the Nook but then they pushed an update about a month ago and it hasn’t worked since.
And now, they just discontinued their windows app. So we have no way of getting our purchased books into Calibre. I really wanted to support B&N but I’m not putting up with this. Switching back to Kobo ereaders and getting my books from the Library or ebooks.com.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #27
irishmac473
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmac473 View Post
Yes you can which led me to believe I might just be able to use Calibre to send my books to the “Nook” folder on the device. But, this does not work either.
Something interesting. You can use Calibre to save to the NOOK folder with Linux. I don't currently have a Mac but makes me wonder if it would work on Mac too?
Old 01-03-2024, 09:28 AM   #28
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Something interesting. You can use Calibre to save to the NOOK folder with Linux. I don't currently have a Mac but makes me wonder if it would work on Mac too?
The current version of Calibre works with the Nook GL 4/4+ on my Mac, as well as for other Mac users who have discussed it over on the B&N forum, but when the GL4+ was new and didn't work with Calibre yet I was using the Android File Transfer application on the Mac to copy books to it manually. I haven't tried it recently though.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:01 AM   #29
Lunar Ronin
Lunar Ronin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
FWIW, I'm getting the same error on Windows 10 Pro with calibre 7.3:

Code:
calibre, version 7.3.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to create the folder: NOOK in ('Internal shared storage',) with error: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 410, in create_folder
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 104, in run
  File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 558, in _books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 230, in books
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 203, in get_driveinfo
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 193, in _update_drive_info
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 162, in put_calibre_file
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 415, in ensure_parent
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
  File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 412, in create_folder
OSError: Failed to create the folder: NOOK in ('Internal shared storage',) with error: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_enumeration.cpp:619:Failed to create folder:[hr=0x80004005 wCode=0] Unspecified error

Quote:
Yes you can which led me to believe I might just be able to use Calibre to send my books to the “Nook” folder on the device. But, this does not work either. It worked fine when I first bought the Nook but then they pushed an update about a month ago and it hasn’t worked since.
And now, they just discontinued their windows app. So we have no way of getting our purchased books into Calibre. I really wanted to support B&N but I’m not putting up with this. Switching back to Kobo ereaders and getting my books from the Library or ebooks.com.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way myself. With Barnes & Noble closing off the Glowlight 4 Plus a couple of months ago, discontinuing their Windows program, and leaving the Glowlight 4 Plus out of stock for weeks and supposedly for months in the future, it's clear that they don't really care about the Nook.
Lunar Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote