Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
pan2
pan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 frozen during update?

My Kindle started a software update this evening. The progress bar made it just under 50% full and then stopped. It's been stopped for going on 20 minutes. This does not seem right. Ideas?
pan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
pan2
pan2 began at the beginning.

just discovered the 15-second hold to reboot. did that, and now the kindle is back to updating itself. it's at 75% now, so hopefully it finishes this time.
pan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
It will. It happened to me too once or twice. Got the battery out, rebooted, and bam.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

I've had this happen a few times as well, and it's always taken care of itself. Perhaps some muck up with the whisper-net connection or the hardware itself, hard to say.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Old Man
Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Received my update yesterday with no problems. In fact I didn't even know it had updated until this morning when I picked it and noticed I was now at 2.0.2.
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If you *know* it's about to do the update, it can be helpful to plug it in. Just to make sure there is enough juice in the battery. Running out of power halfway through an update COULD be a problem.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
If you *know* it's about to do the update, it can be helpful to plug it in. Just to make sure there is enough juice in the battery. Running out of power halfway through an update COULD be a problem.
Very true, though the K2 does try to check that there's at least 15% of the battery remaining before performing the automatic update.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Very true, though the K2 does try to check that there's at least 15% of the battery remaining before performing the automatic update.
Does it?? How clever of it! That's good programming on their part.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
snakestrike
snakestrike began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan2 View Post
My Kindle started a software update this evening. The progress bar made it just under 50% full and then stopped. It's been stopped for going on 20 minutes. This does not seem right. Ideas?
The same thing happenned to me except it stayed at 0% for days. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
snakestrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakestrike View Post
The same thing happenned to me except it stayed at 0% for days. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Try rebooting it, as Pan2 did? Hold the screensaver slidey button to the left for 15-20 seconds. When it starts to reboot, let go. It will possibly start the update again and do it right this time.

P.S. Plug it in while you do this, so it has plenty of juice.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
snakestrike
snakestrike began at the beginning.

Thanks! Instead of trying an update again I am going to manually download the update via the usb when amazon releases version 2.5 online. They are going to soon.
snakestrike is offline   Reply With Quote