Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
BoB selling books they don't have?

Yesterday I bought four books on Books on Board, but I could only download two of them. I opened a support ticket.
This is their reply
------
Hello,

Thank you for shopping with BooksOnBoard. Unfortunately, I was unable to
establish a link to these files. I have issued a credit to your Rewards
Dollars. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Regards,
Jack
------
Isn't Jack saying that BoB put out books there they can't supply?
In other words, they are selling books from someone else's server. Or am I missing something_
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe it means that they've calculated that the cost of actually investigating the issue and correcting it will cost them more than just refunding your money.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Maybe it means that they've calculated that the cost of actually investigating the issue and correcting it will cost them more than just refunding your money.
Hmm, for my personal case, you might be right, but this would happen to others trying to buy those books too, I assume.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In other words, they are selling books from someone else's server. Or am I missing something_
Why not reply and ask for further clarification about the cause of the problem? That's what I'd do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Yesterday I bought four books on Books on Board, but I could only download two of them. I opened a support ticket.
This is their reply
------
Hello,

Thank you for shopping with BooksOnBoard. Unfortunately, I was unable to
establish a link to these files. I have issued a credit to your Rewards
Dollars. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Regards,
Jack
------
Could they be region restricted?

That is, the publisher won't sell those particular ISBN's into Sweden and BoB didn't action that until download - instead of at time of purchase, or earlier.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Could they be region restricted?

That is, the publisher won't sell those particular ISBN's into Sweden and BoB didn't action that until download - instead of at time of purchase, or earlier.
Then why don't they just do like Amazon and not show them as available?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they say in response to you questioning further.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Their database seems a bit slow to react on occasion, it there a copy of the book from a different publisher on the site? if so they will generally switch the title.

I've had it a few times (an incorrect listing normally, but also when sfgateway pulled some titles).

For some reason they seem to list the US titles of books for some publishers although they usually download fine.

At least BoB respond fairly quickly to questions.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Then why don't they just do like Amazon and not show them as available?
They do.

I've got a feeling that BoB has been doing some housekeeping lately as half the books in my wish list recently became unavailable overnight (i.e. they stayed in my wishlist but there's no Add to Cart button next to them, just a Delete one).

I haven't gone through all of them but for all of those I tried, I was able to find a different edition of the same titles (in all cases slightly more expensive) by another publisher.

So I guess they have been doing some georestriction-related work lately and perhaps some titles are still messed up because of that? And not every title will have more than one publisher and even if they do, so they may not have a legally available file to switch it with.

It happened to me a few weeks ago that I couldn't download a specific title I'd just bought, and the customer relations person who replied to my e-mail said that they'd switched the download link to another edition (or something along those lines), so I could download the title after that.

I wonder if some publishers have also been doing some georestrictions-related housekeeping of their own? Because I just recently noticed that books by one author, which had been available on Kobo some years ago but were then removed, but which were always legally available for me on Amazon, had re-appeared on Kobo.

Anyway, I'd think it's worth following up with BoB to see if they can give you a straight answer - if it's for example really due to geo-restrictions changing on that book and you just had the bad timing to buy it just as it happened or before some database or another had refreshed, or if it's something else. I love BoB but if it becomes a more widespread problem - that international customers can see and buy specific books but not download them - then it's pretty worrying.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Or, wait a few days and try buying them again.
If it's a housekeeping issue, it should be fixed by then...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
I think maybe some (indie or tiny) online ebook stores like BoB, Feedbooks or some others similar share the same content server.
Then BoB didn't know those two titles have been removed from the content server.
When you contact them, oops, they found they can't find those titles in the server, either.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

That seems reasonable. Servers are maintained by some back operation and BoB is simply a store front without actual content then.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I had a similar problem with Kobobooks. I bought a book from them last night, but it wasn't available for download. I wrote to them, asking to resolve the issue or give me a refund.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Werepuppy
Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Werepuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3
I have had this twice now, and both times the books were published by Tor and are supposed to be without DRM. The initial download was a .epub which was encrypted and could not be read. When I tried again later you get the file not found message.
Werepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Well I learned something.

I had never heard of Books on Board.

What is the advantage of using them?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote