Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
kb7rjf
kb7rjf began at the beginning.

I tried to charge mine from the USB charger that I use with my Blackberry. No Joy.
I was able to charge from my Mac G4 Powerbook.
kb7rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Charger from Frys

I was out in Denver recently and found a "multi-charger" there. It plugs into a USB on the computer and has an octopus of other connectors at the other end. There are PSP/eReader, mini-usb, iPod (also will sync), gameboy, and a few others. Very handy. Was something like $10. A very handy investment.

P
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
borrowed my niece's psp charger, worked fine
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke
borrowed my niece's psp charger, worked fine
What is the power output shown on the PSP charger? I want to make 100% sure that it is the same as the Reader's charger.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's not exactly the same, but ... well, let me put it this way: when we were at the Blogger's Day thing last September, they were using PSP chargers on some of the Sony Readers they had set up for that, so it would seem that the Sony Reader team believes they PSP chargers are 'close enough.'
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would not close enough possibly cause some damage since it's not the same?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Charging via other USB connections

I have tried other USB connections for charging as well and they drain the Reader's battery rather than charging it. I have several small chargers that are designed to plug into a mini-USB connection to provide charging power. They do not work with the Reader.

If I had tools and parts here I would make a little breakout board to analyze what is happening. I suspect the Reader has a way of enabling the power connection from the USB port to its charging circuit. Why did Sony design the Reader this way? Maybe they are trying to protect the Reader's charging circuitry from non-compliant USB power supplies, though they are all supposed to be standard. Any thoughts?

Thanks to NatCh for the clarification (see next).

Last edited by mogui; 05-24-2007 at 03:52 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Would not close enough possibly cause some damage since it's not the same?
I dunno what might happen with other chargers, but I think that the PSP one is fine, on the basis of the Sony team using them.

I probably should point out (since this is nominally a USB charging thread, and there might be some confusion on the point) that the PSP charger won't charge via the USB port, but rather the DC in jack. It think the multi-charger that Plowman found is the only non-Sony USB charger that I've heard of working with the Reader.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #24
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Charging via USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowman
I was out in Denver recently and found a "multi-charger" there. It plugs into a USB on the computer and has an octopus of other connectors at the other end. There are PSP/eReader, mini-usb, iPod (also will sync), gameboy, and a few others. Very handy. Was something like $10. A very handy investment.
Plowman, your charger sources power from USB, but does it plug into the Reader's mini-USB port to charge via USB as well?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I dunno what might happen with other chargers, but I think that the PSP one is fine, on the basis of the Sony team using them.

I probably should point out (since this is nominally a USB charging thread, and there might be some confusion on the point) that the PSP charger won't charge via the USB port, but rather the DC in jack. It think the multi-charger that Plowman found is the only non-Sony USB charger that I've heard of working with the Reader.
I'll also point out that my Reader has charged successfully from the USB port of every Mac I've tried it with. Without installing any Sony software ('cause there isn't any! ).
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
I'll also point out that my Reader has charged successfully from the USB port of every Mac I've tried it with. Without installing any Sony software ('cause there isn't any! ).
Yet on a PC the Sony driver must be installed for the USB charging to work.

The PSP charger I have seen is rated at 5.4 V which is within the range (limits) of the Sony Reader charger. I also use the iGo Juice charger which works from the wall outlet, the car adapter, and an airplane power connection.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I also use the iGo Juice charger which works from the wall outlet, the car adapter, and an airplane power connection.
I'm gonna to have to get me one of those. (sigh)
Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm gonna to have to get me one of those. (sigh)
The iGo iTip adapter I use for the Sony Reader is A54.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Is that the same one for the PSP, then? I was assuming I'd just look for that one.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Yet on a PC the Sony driver must be installed for the USB charging to work.

The PSP charger I have seen is rated at 5.4 V which is within the range (limits) of the Sony Reader charger. I also use the iGo Juice charger which works from the wall outlet, the car adapter, and an airplane power connection.
So the Reader accepts a MAC to charge its battery because it's not possible to install Connect on it. But if it is a PC it wants to see the Connect software in order to charge the battery. So who at Sony came with this brilliant idea?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote