Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #151
TMark
TMark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
That's a very strange logic - just because there is nothing better on the market doesn't make DX good.
I think it does in this case. Good is relative anyway. Amazon's monopoly makes mediocre good enough for me.
TMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #152
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMark View Post
I think it does in this case. Good is relative anyway. Amazon's monopoly makes mediocre good enough for me.
Do you own DX?
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #153
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I love mine! For my purposes it is far superior to my Sony and I'm enjoying it immensely. Today I went to manybooks and downloaded Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde directly to my kindle. I have some Pdf's and they all workfine for me. So I'm not real sure where the mediocre part is. No doubt in 5 years there will be a superior product out there but I don't want to wait for it. Since I started this epic thread I get to render the "verdict" and my verdict stands.

It's awesomely cool!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #154
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Actually I liked Conroy's Beach Music far more. I just checked and it's not available as a Kindle book.... (Lucky me... I would have bought it... I gotta chill on this.)

His writing is so lyrically rich Prose dripping with images overlaid through the hearts yearing. There's a scene in Beach music where the sun is going down at the same time the moon is coming up. He said something like.. "My souls grazed like a sheep on the beauty... I cant remember now exactly but so Beautifully written. It made me weep.

Conroy has a new novel out, South of Broad, and it's available for the Kindle.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebri...lid=sldr_aa_hm

Last edited by BenG; 08-19-2009 at 11:01 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #155
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

I'm already on it. I put it on my "save" list and when the price drops a bit (and Ive read the 10 or 12 books I've already bought) I'm buyin it.
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #156
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
That's a very strange logic - just because there is nothing better on the market doesn't make DX good.

I'll tell you what does PDF better (being usable for reading without getting a headache) - my printer and my laptop.
Haha, that would be a bit of an unfair comparison, imho. But overall, I think as a PDF reader, it's ok for most people (probably) though I know what's lacking, for example, no TOC support, no highlighting and annotating. But the only other devices that I know does both that is Sony's 700 and the iRex 1000s. However, the 700 is 6" while the iRex is far too expensive.

Hence, to your first statement, good is a relative thing. You are probably measuring it against the wrong category of devices. But honestly, what was your main issue against the DX? I bought the DX primarily for the PDF support and though I think it was lacking in the sense that I can't highlight and annotate, which is my biggest disappointment, but in a certain sense, I hedged against feeling disappointed since I already knew that before I purchased. What is your expectation when you bought the DX?
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #157
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acextreme View Post
What is your expectation when you bought the DX?
Being able to read PDFs without getting a headache. It seems that I'm asking too much.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #158
Roy White
Evangelist

I'm certain that in 5 years the Kindle 25 will be out... or the Sony 25 whichever one... And it will be perfect! Until then the DX is working for me and I have no complaints.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #159
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I'm certain that in 5 years the Kindle 25 will be out... or the Sony 25 whichever one... And it will be perfect! Until then the DX is working for me and I have no complaints.
Roy - I am SO happy you love your DX (especially after I nagged you for months to buy one). Happy reading stuff!

P.S. I encourage you to add a solid black skin (mine is from Decalgirl) to the front of your DX - the black border tricks your eyes into seeing even more contrast in the text - to look sharper and clearer. Even less eye strain this way.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #160
Roy White
Evangelist

Hmmm... A black border huh? Actually I was thinking of buying the "starry night" skin. That looks like it would be a nice contrast. I spent a couple of hours reading outside in the Sun last weekend and the bright border was a little too reflective. What think you?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #161
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Being able to read PDFs without getting a headache. It seems that I'm asking too much.
Hmmm, but how exactly has the DX caused you to have headache when reading PDFs? Is it because the fonts are too small or because the contrast is bad, or because the words are too faint to read comfortably?

Not trying to be critical here, but more curious about how and what you felt the DX is lacking. It must have been quite serious to cause you to advise against owning one; but for me, I thought it was pretty ok a device.
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #162
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Hmmm... A black border huh? Actually I was thinking of buying the "starry night" skin. That looks like it would be a nice contrast. I spent a couple of hours reading outside in the Sun last weekend and the bright border was a little too reflective. What think you?
That one (starry night) looks WAY TOO busy for my eyes. I find a solid black border helps focus my eyes on the page - and eliminates reflections/glare from sunlight or indoor lights. But these skins are easy to replace, and relatively inexpensive, so you may want to try several to find your "ideal" border.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #163
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I picked up my new Kindle DX yesterday morning along with the Amazon leather cover. So far, I think it's fantastic. It's great for reading at home or taking to the park to read. I think I'll keep my small Kindle for hiking, taking to work, etc. I bought a small slim neoprene laptop case with handles at Target this morning to lug it around.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #164
Roy White
Evangelist

I'm a total DX addict now!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #165
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Roy,

I'm curious as to what you like most about the DX?

I'm considering a DX to replace my K1 for no other reason than more script per page may result in easier reading? I also read the newspapers on my Kindle and it looks like it may be a much better device for my morning paper.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote