Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Saturn0660
Saturn0660 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3G
Cybook not working with Clevnet

Hi there all. I just got bought a Cybook for my wife. Heres the thing, before I bought it Bookeen said no problem with it working with Clevnet. However, all it says is "this book is not active yet". I did of course put in the PID. I'm using a Mac. I also tried this on my PC after installing Mobireader on it(XP machine). I'm at loss, I don't want to send it back but looks like i may have to.. Any ideas would help.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by Saturn0660; 03-16-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Saturn0660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you downloaded the eBook, did you make sure it had the correct PID for the CyBook> Did you make sure the time/date was correct?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Saturn0660

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you downloaded the eBook, did you make sure it had the correct PID for the CyBook> Did you make sure the time/date was correct?
Yes And Yes.

add on, when i installed mobireader on my XP machine. it would read the book.. this was before I even put in the PID from the copy i downloaded. it had my pid from cybook only on file..
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn0660 View Post
Hi there all. I just got bought a Cybook for my wife. Heres the thing, before I bought it Bookeen said no problem with it working with Clevnet. However, all it says is "this book is not active yet". I did of course put in the PID. I'm using a Mac. I also tried this on my PC after installing Mobireader on it(XP machine). I'm at loss, I don't want to send it back but looks like i may have to.. Any ideas would help.
Is this a library book thing were the time you can read it is limited? There has been some problem with this. As I undertand it you should use the latest Mobipocket Reader and you should make sure you have a firmware with build 538 in the Cybook. There was also an issue with turning the Cybook off. It works after the synchronization but you have to do the synchronization again if you turn the Cybook off.

As I understand it they are working on solving these kind of problem. You should probably report it to them and see what they say.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Saturn0660

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is this a library book thing were the time you can read it is limited? There has been some problem with this. As I undertand it you should use the latest Mobipocket Reader and you should make sure you have a firmware with build 538 in the Cybook. There was also an issue with turning the Cybook off. It works after the synchronization but you have to do the synchronization again if you turn the Cybook off.

As I understand it they are working on solving these kind of problem. You should probably report it to them and see what they say.
Yes it's a limited time book. 21days worth. As far as firmware goes. where would i find and how would i put on. What pisses me off is Bookeen said i would have no problems with it.. GRRRRRRR..... I do have latest mobireader but like i said I would even know where to check the firm..

ADDON... I found the build it's 538.. however, it says I'm using reader6.0 and i am using 6.1 build 592

thanks
Andy

Last edited by Saturn0660; 03-16-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Yes it's a limited time book. 21days worth. As far as firmware goes. where would i find and how would i put on. What pisses me off is Bookeen said i would have no problems with it.. GRRRRRRR..... I do have latest mobireader but like i said I wold even know where to check the firm..
Search the threads here since this has been discussed before.

Choose "Advanced->About" and you will see the version and build number of the Boo Reader.

Just to check, it was the PID on the Cybook you used?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Saturn0660

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Search the threads here since this has been discussed before.

Choose "Advanced->About" and you will see the version and build number of the Boo Reader.

Just to check, it was the PID on the Cybook you used?
PID: VRPSFXMXYA
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
You will not be able to read your time sensitive library books on your Cybook at this time.

I contacted Bookeen about this in January and was told they were aware of the problem and the problem would be fixed in the next firmware update - which supposedly will be available sometime this month.

In the meantime, I received the patch from Bookeen and upgraded my Cybook to build 538. This did not fix the problem. When I received the email from Bookeen that included a link to this patch, there was a "PS" from Bookeen that asked me to let them know once my Cybook had been updated and they would email me a little procedure to fix the time issue. I emailed them more than 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them, so I emailed them again yesterday. If they ever respond to my email and if their "little procedure" fixes the problem, I will post back.

So for now, I wait and wait and wait for the promised update that may or may not be available this month.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Saturn0660

Well crap.... Now i don't know what to do... the ONLY reason i bought this was for my wife so she could rent books from the Clevnet.. And whats funny is Bookeen said there would be no problems with this... I bought it from booksonboard.com and only have 7 days for returns.. should I keep it and hope it will work... or send it back and wait until i know for sure..

Thanks,
Andy
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Well crap.... Now i don't know what to do... the ONLY reason i bought this was for my wife so she could rent books from the Clevnet.. And whats funny is Bookeen said there would be no problems with this... I bought it from booksonboard.com and only have 7 days for returns.. should I keep it and hope it will work... or send it back and wait until i know for sure..
I was very disappointed when I checked out my first book and found out it wouldn't work, but I believe Bookeen will fix the problem eventually. They have stated to more than one person that an update will be available this month and since I have a January email from them stating that they are aware of this problem and plan to address it in their next update, I expect this fix will be part of that update. So I guess it all boils down to waiting.

If it were me, I would sit tight and wait for the update (well, I guess you could say that's want I AM doing, since one reason I asked for the Cybook for Christmas (over the other ebook readers) was because I wanted to read library books on it). In the meantime, I am reading library books on my Pocket PC and I am using the Cybook - there are a ton of free books (the classics) that are available both here and on other websites. I have also started purchasing books that I know are not available from the library, so all is not lost.

And if Bookeen ever gets back to me about this "procedure" I'll perform it and see if it resolves the issue and post back. It could be that the problem is fixed with build 538, and all I need to do is perform this procedure to get my library books working properly. If that's the case, then we won't even need to wait for the update before being able to read library books on the Cybook.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 03-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,

Given the preponderance of free ebooks (legal or otherwise), the prices of current titles and the fact that one could store over 3,000 titles on a single 2GB SD card... Well let's just say that I don't really understand the concept of a time-limited ebook. After all, the bother of 'checking out' library ebooks over-and-over-again in order to re-read after the 'expiration date' has passed, it's just too much hassle. Of course, I'm one of those who tends to come back to titles I enjoyed.

I mean, you spent the money for the Cybook, why not have her buy the ebooks she wants to read and store those ebooks to a DVD for later enjoyment?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Andy,

Given the preponderance of free ebooks (legal or otherwise), the prices of current titles and the fact that one could store over 3,000 titles on a single 2GB SD card... Well let's just say that I don't really understand the concept of a time-limited ebook. After all, the bother of 'checking out' library ebooks over-and-over-again in order to re-read after the 'expiration date' has passed, it's just too much hassle. Of course, I'm one of those who tends to come back to titles I enjoyed.

I mean, you spent the money for the Cybook, why not have her buy the ebooks she wants to read and store those ebooks to a DVD for later enjoyment?

Derek
I read a lot of best sellers....good, fast and entertaining reads, but not anything I plan to read more than once. I don't want to spend money on these types of books if I don't have to. I LIKE the idea of checking books out of the library. The time frame to read the books is 21 days which is more than enough time to get through these books.

It is so easy and convenient. I don't have to return the books so I don't have to worry about late fees, and rechecking them out is all done online so it is as convenient as buying books on the web, without having to pay for them.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For a start, take a look at the 1000 or so "hand crafted" Mobi books you can download from this site!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Saturn0660

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Andy,

Derek
I hear what your saying 100% but i agree with Julie... My wife enjoys just getting books to read... Not buy. I'm the same way.. I've already sent an e-mail back to booksonboard.com about sending it back and i'll sending bookeen e-mail about it as well.. My wife is bad about getting books back on time so i thought is was a great idea.. I could put it on our asus eee but i'm trying to get something small and great on batts..

Andy
Old 03-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I hear what your saying 100% but i agree with Julie... My wife enjoys just getting books to read... Not buy. I'm the same way.. I've already sent an e-mail back to booksonboard.com about sending it back and i'll sending bookeen e-mail about it as well.. My wife is bad about getting books back on time so i thought is was a great idea.. I could put it on our asus eee but i'm trying to get something small and great on batts..

Andy
Andy,

But you really *should* keep the Cybook. Bookeen *IS* working on fixing the problem with time-limited ebooks and I believe this is coming out in the next fix. (which should be released soon) Then, she'll be able to download library ebooks to her heart's content. And while she's waiting, she can always download a few dozen of the classics - not to forget all the Free Library ebooks available from Baen Books (www.baen.com). Baen has well over 100 titles available for free! Granted, they're all SF and Fantasy, but I'm sure she can find one or two titles she'll enjoy.

In my opinion, to return the Cybook now just doesn't make sense as the time-limit issue will be fixed soon. If it appeared Bookeen wouldn't fix it any sooner than four or five months from now, *THEN* I'd say switch to another battery-hogging eee pc.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote