Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Kobo still bricked

It's been 3 days since the update and my Kobo is still absolutely useless. Support has not yet been a help at all.

To recap, my problem is this:
Kobo no longer connects over USB
All of my books were deleted
It will not enter upgrade mode
It will go to sleep, but as soon as it tries to power off it locks up and requires a reset
Factory reset did nothing
It is outside my return period at the store of purchase

It would be really great if we could get it working again before tomorrow, as my job requires me to occupy myself for several hours a day sometimes and reading is what I usually do.

Thanks,
Giancarlo
MrBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
It's been 3 days since the update and my Kobo is still absolutely useless. Support has not yet been a help at all.

To recap, my problem is this:
Kobo no longer connects over USB
All of my books were deleted
It will not enter upgrade mode
It will go to sleep, but as soon as it tries to power off it locks up and requires a reset
Factory reset did nothing
It is outside my return period at the store of purchase

It would be really great if we could get it working again before tomorrow, as my job requires me to occupy myself for several hours a day sometimes and reading is what I usually do.

Thanks,
Giancarlo
Hi Giancarlo,

I'm sorry, I thought someone was already helping you. Let's try this.

To fix this short of getting you an SD card upgrade, you can try the following:

1. Download the newest version of the desktop application (this version allows us to force another upgrade).
- http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.exe (For PC)
- http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.dmg (For mac)

2. Try to get the device in upgrade mode by using MENU + CENTER DPAD + RESET (using a paperclip). Hard to do and you may have to try several times. (looks like you should put it to sleep first for it to 'lock up' and use that to your advantage to initiate upgrade mode in this manner). Upgrade mode = blank screen + red light.

3. Install the newly downloaded app and from the library view press CTRL + SHIFT + U to force the upgrade wizard to come up again.

4. skip through to step 5 (step 1 will redownload the firmware, let it do this).

5. Follow the steps to re-upgrade the device.

Let me know how that goes. I will be in and out, so best to email me with the results, which I'll get on my mobile:

shasan at kobobooks dot com

Thanks so much for your patience, sorry it's taken so long.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi, unfortunately it won't go into upgrade mode. I can press all of the keys without issue, the red light comes on for only as long as I am holding the buttons and the screen never blanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
As a stop gap, you can put books on an SD card and use them on the device or you can send books to the internal memory via bluetooth from either your computer or your cell phone. You'll have to plug the device into a charger or to USB port and then unplug it so the database will update. I've been using mine with this workaround. It's annoying and I have to keep a paper clip handy to reset the device when I return to it after a long period away, but it makes it usable at least.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
MrBig

Yea, this is what I ended up having to do today. Sorry to hear you're in the same situation, hopefully they'll figure this all out soon.
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
arpeggi23
arpeggi23 began at the beginning.

Hi, I've run into the same problem as Luqman and Mr. Big. This is ridiculous! I hope Kobo is fixing this! I am ready to take it back and give up... Good grief!!
arpeggi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... This is ridiculous! ...

No, this a a relatively new product to come to the marketplace. And we are ALL fortunate to have honest-to-gawd kobo representatives here to assist us. The vast majority of owners are pleased with their kobo units (do NOT start a poll here, folks).

If you are as impatient as your message implies, then by all means return your kobo and get a Kindle2 or Nook or something else. Burt to post, "Me, too!" without providing a single detail of what your system setup is - nor any purchase details - tells me that you really are not interested in getting your kobo fixed, and that you want instant gratification.

AND I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THAT. And that is OK. You just spent close to two hundred bucks on a device, and want it to work NOW.

But we purchased our kobos for a reason. And the VAST majority worked AS ADVERTISED up to a week ago. It is a "growing pains" upgrade that has some of us temporarily stumped.

Clint Bradford
NOT employed by Kobo in any manner
909-241-7666
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing is, this is not a particularly new device. The Kobo Reader is a Netronix EB600 with some modifications (i.e. Bluetooth). Kobo chose to make Firmware updates a Byzantine process involving their own proprietary desktop app. They chose to make the battery sealed in so that it cannot be removed (this would have been a great help in preserving the battery life of my device in its current semi-bricked state). They are chosing to go the rather odd route of sending software via snail-mail. They could just as easily post a binary and instructions with the option of a having mailed to you if you are not comfortable. I've owned many eReaders (Pocketbook, Sony, Kindle, Nook, Cybook) and none of them have had a firmware update process this odd. Sometimes the updated firmware didn't work properly or had bugs, but I had the option of downgrading to the previous version. I think, as time goes on, we should have less tolerance for mistakes and hold higher expectations. The ebook business is rapidly maturing now; we're not back in 2006. The only company that distributes firmware upgrades via a Desktop client is Sony. Do you know what the number one complaint about the Sony Readers (besides the touchscreen) is? The ultra-suckiness of the desktop software. Why one earth Kobo chooses to emulate Sony and not Amazon, B and N, or Pocketbook is beyond me.

Luqman
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
arpeggi23
arpeggi23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... This is ridiculous! ...

No, this a a relatively new product to come to the marketplace. And we are ALL fortunate to have honest-to-gawd kobo representatives here to assist us. The vast majority of owners are pleased with their kobo units (do NOT start a poll here, folks).

If you are as impatient as your message implies, then by all means return your kobo and get a Kindle2 or Nook or something else. Burt to post, "Me, too!" without providing a single detail of what your system setup is - nor any purchase details - tells me that you really are not interested in getting your kobo fixed, and that you want instant gratification.

AND I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THAT. And that is OK. You just spent close to two hundred bucks on a device, and want it to work NOW.

But we purchased our kobos for a reason. And the VAST majority worked AS ADVERTISED up to a week ago. It is a "growing pains" upgrade that has some of us temporarily stumped.

Clint Bradford
NOT employed by Kobo in any manner
909-241-7666

Dude chill the heck out, I am new to this board trying to figure this damn problem out.
A firmware update should not basically brick my device. Its not new tech, this is Kobo's problem. I was so excited to get the device i drove up to Canada to get it none the less, and then this happens. I believe my reaction is absolutely sound, and to you whos devices work fine, great, have fun reading. After a day of working on it I finally got some books on it. And yes I am very happy it works now. But I should be able to just plug it in via USB like the rest of the kobos out there and drop books on it - not have to reinstall the firmware, use bluetooth and then have to plug it in just to get some damn books on there. I expect they will fix this problem with the next firmware release.
The reply I got from Kobo customer care was slow and absolutely unacceptable as well, telling me to restart the computer (that is pretty obvious when you have tech difficulty with a plug and play device). I still haven't heard back! I guess I just expected better service.
arpeggi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

To be fair, the Customer Service I have received from Kobo has been excellent both from Sameer H. and from the Kobo CS person in charge of my help ticket. They are sending the SD card out today via Purolator which is both quick and expensive (it should be here either tomorrow or Friday). I appreciate that even if I still wonder why its necessary to send a physical medium. I guess I'll get a free SD card out of the deal, at least. I really want to try out library books on this device. I love my Pocketbook 360, but the only way to get Epubs to look decent under the current stable firmware is to liberate them. The Kobo should be an improvement. I also like the bluetooth function and the over-all feel and design of the device- light yet solid and well made. Not flimsy like my old Cybook Gen3.

Luqman
Luqman
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Any chance to get sd card image? Should be pretty
trivial to make workable medium.
Asking this cause I live on the other side of the planet.
Why should piece of plastic fly all over the world? Inter-net
made it obsolete.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
Hi, unfortunately it won't go into upgrade mode. I can press all of the keys without issue, the red light comes on for only as long as I am holding the buttons and the screen never blanks.
sorry for taking so long to get back to you. We are in the throes of releasing the upgrade for the whole world right now so that's taking up a lot of my time.

Did you try it with a paperclip instead of the power button, requires much more dexterity, but it's another way to get into the upgrade mode.

i.e. Center DPAD + MENU + reset with paperclip.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #13
rcanthony
rcanthony began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Same Bricked Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Giancarlo,

I'm sorry, I thought someone was already helping you. Let's try this.

To fix this short of getting you an SD card upgrade, you can try the following:

1. Download the newest version of the desktop application (this version allows us to force another upgrade).
- http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.exe (For PC)
- http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/0/KoboSetup.dmg (For mac)

2. Try to get the device in upgrade mode by using MENU + CENTER DPAD + RESET (using a paperclip). Hard to do and you may have to try several times. (looks like you should put it to sleep first for it to 'lock up' and use that to your advantage to initiate upgrade mode in this manner). Upgrade mode = blank screen + red light.

3. Install the newly downloaded app and from the library view press CTRL + SHIFT + U to force the upgrade wizard to come up again.

4. skip through to step 5 (step 1 will redownload the firmware, let it do this).

5. Follow the steps to re-upgrade the device.

Let me know how that goes. I will be in and out, so best to email me with the results, which I'll get on my mobile:

shasan at kobobooks dot com

Thanks so much for your patience, sorry it's taken so long.

Same problems as the original poster... I lost ALL books and documents on the device, including the 100 built in books!!! I can still send books via Bluetooth, and KOBO stores them 'somewhere' but I can not do the following:
- Connect my KOBO to my WinXP machine with USB (device doesn't register)
- view any built in books
- reset to factory defaults (without having to hit reset)
- power off/on the KOBO
- Upgrade the KOBO with the method described above...

So I was glad to find this helpful workaround to force an upgrade but here is what happens for me....
I get my KOBO into Upgrade Mode (after over an hour of messing with it)
I download the software noted in the quoted instructions
I try the force update trick

In the final stage when KOBO looks like it might upgrade I get an error saying my KOBO disconnected and a phone number pops up prompting me to phone... no dice... workaround that SameerH doesn't work for me...

What are my options at this point SameerH ?

As an aside I love this thing to death, its improved my workflow dramatically and I am hoping I can get KOBO back online ASAP.... I'm really wishing I'd looked to see if there were issues upgrading before I went ahead and did it... very depressing

Please advise rcanthony@mac.com

R

rcanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcanthony View Post
Same problems as the original poster... I lost ALL books and documents on the device, including the 100 built in books!!! I can still send books via Bluetooth, and KOBO stores them 'somewhere' but I can not do the following:
- Connect my KOBO to my WinXP machine with USB (device doesn't register)
- view any built in books
- reset to factory defaults (without having to hit reset)
- power off/on the KOBO
- Upgrade the KOBO with the method described above...

So I was glad to find this helpful workaround to force an upgrade but here is what happens for me....
I get my KOBO into Upgrade Mode (after over an hour of messing with it)
I download the software noted in the quoted instructions
I try the force update trick

In the final stage when KOBO looks like it might upgrade I get an error saying my KOBO disconnected and a phone number pops up prompting me to phone... no dice... workaround that SameerH doesn't work for me...

What are my options at this point SameerH ?

As an aside I love this thing to death, its improved my workflow dramatically and I am hoping I can get KOBO back online ASAP.... I'm really wishing I'd looked to see if there were issues upgrading before I went ahead and did it... very depressing

Please advise rcanthony@mac.com

R

Hey rcanthony, I got your email and replied. Please check your inbox.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
rcanthony
rcanthony began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hey rcanthony, I got your email and replied. Please check your inbox.

AMAZING service!!! I'm back up and running, thanks SameerH!
rcanthony is offline   Reply With Quote