Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
J-Mac
J-Mac began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Question Calibre 32-bit and 64-bit Installed; Uninstall 32-bit?

Hello all!

As the subject states I have both the 32 and 64-bit versions of Calibre installed. I didn't mean to have both but unfortunately I do at present. I had the 32-bit version installed and when checking for a new version I saw the 64-bit version was available. So I downloaded and installed it, thinking that it would replace the version already on my computer. I realize that wasn’t a good assumption on my part, and I don’t often make mistakes like that - I must have been really tired at the time!

Anyway since I obviously do not need both versions installed, and I imagine that there is a potential for conflict with both, I plan to uninstall the 32-bit version. My question is: When I uninstall the 32-bit version, will I lose my library? And possibly lose any files that may be shared by both versions?

I hope it will be a perfectly clean uninstall and yet leave all that is necessary for the 64-bit version to continue working well, but I understand that is not likely - unless there are steps I can take to prevent any problems. (Shout out if you know of any!)

Does anyone here know the best way to remove Calibre 32-bit without adversely affecting the Calibre 64-bit version? Or at least how I can minimize the damage?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I had both versions for a while, I wanted to make sure the 64 bit didn't cause me any issues. Once I was satisfied I uninstalled the 32 bit version with the normal add/remove programs and didn't have any issues with my library at all.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uninstall does not touch (remove/change) ANY Library or settings.
You could uninstall BOTH and then install either one and it will even use the last used (if you had more than one) Library and settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You libraries and configuration will be fine, to be on the safe side back 'em up first, but...

Before you uninstall 32 bit remove/replace any references that you have added to the Windows Registry to anything in Program Files (X86)/Calibre2

Specifically I am thinking of file associations for EPUB and maybe other file types, that you established to Program Files (X86)/Calibre2/ebook-reader.exe. Otherwise you may end up with a registry that is in a state where you have to hack it manually, or run it thru a cleaner in order to 'point' EPUB etc at Program Files/Calibre2/ebook-reader.exe

Uninstalls cannot be expected to remove things that the install did not put there in the first instance.

I've noticed some programs wont allow or will ring alarm bells if you install both the 32 and 64 bit version - eg Macrium Reflect.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-28-2013 at 06:11 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I keep both because sometimes I want to go back to an older version to check something.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
J-Mac
J-Mac began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Thanks all. Sounds like it most likely won't be a problem. I will post back to let you know.

@BetterRed: Is this a common occurrence?! I mean, I am certainly capable of editing my registry if needed, but I don’t recommend it! I haven't often added keys/entries for programs - most programs seem quite capable of screwing up a registry all be themselves!!

Also, Revo Uninstaller Pro will probably uninstall it cleanly.

Thanks all!

Jim
J-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@J-Mac

It happened to me a few weeks ago and a colleague last week

Just change the association to the 64 bit version before you uninstall 32 bit version and you'll be fine.

br
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
32-bit, 64-bit os, uninstalling calibre