Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Manual update of 1.2.1 for Nook Glow

Hi

I've today bought a Nook Glowlight and its on software is 1.2.0.

I wanted to manually update to 1.2.1 so I downloaded the zip file (called Nook_1_2 update zip) using winrar. I duly followed the instructions on B&N and copied the zip file into the Nook main drive, disconected correctly and waited for the update. Which doesn't happen. When I press the N again to wake up the Nook no update has taken place, and when I plug in the Nook and look at the Nook drive the zip file has vanished.

I am baffled as to what I am doing wrong.

Its not a big deal as I am happy with what i see right now, but I am perplexed as to why the zip file is not updating, but is disapearing.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Sounds like you might be reinstalling 1.2.0 each time...
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Hi

I've today bought a Nook Glowlight and its on software is 1.2.0.

I wanted to manually update to 1.2.1 so I downloaded the zip file (called Nook_1_2 update zip) using winrar. I duly followed the instructions on B&N and copied the zip file into the Nook main drive, disconected correctly and waited for the update. Which doesn't happen. When I press the N again to wake up the Nook no update has taken place, and when I plug in the Nook and look at the Nook drive the zip file has vanished.

I am baffled as to what I am doing wrong.

Its not a big deal as I am happy with what i see right now, but I am perplexed as to why the zip file is not updating, but is disapearing.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Make sure you are downloading an update from the UK website, I've read some comments about how the firmware differs between the UK and the US, and the latter won't work on your UK bought Nook.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.
My 1.2.1 update is named Nook_1_2_update.zip, and it certainly brought the Nook Glow to 1.2.1.
I seem to remember that was discussed here back in January some time, about the misnaming of the file.
Ëdit: The discussion I vaguely remembered wasn't here, it was on another forum. The file name is "wrong", but the content is right.

Last edited by Asawi; 05-09-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. My Nook Glow went back as faulty, hubby has picked me up a Simple Touch. I'll see what software version that's on when I get home.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Strangely enough the download works perfectly with my Simple Touch. The Nook_1_2_update.zip updates my Touch to 1.2.1
Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Make sure you are downloading an update from the UK website, I've read some comments about how the firmware differs between the UK and the US, and the latter won't work on your UK bought Nook.
I've just downloaded from the UK website and the US website.

Much to my surprise, the files are different sizes with different modification time (by six minutes).

But before I found this out, I put the US one on my NOOK ST GlowLight. It's sleeping now, I'll see what happened when/if it reboots, and then I'll try the UK one.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-10-2013 at 03:56 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've just downloaded from the UK website and the US website.

Much to my surprise, the files are different sizes with different modification time (by six minutes).

But before I found this out, I put the US one on my NOOK ST GlowLight. It's sleeping now, I'll see what happened when/if it reboots, and then I'll try the UK one.
I think I was originally downloading from the US. I can't be sure as I didn't link the page but the 'click here' link I clicked on yesterday was in a different place on the page, on the far left, rather than in the middle like before.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No update happened, the file just got deleted. But adding in the file from the UK site is working. I now have a screen telling me the update is installing.

[Yes, that worked. Now at 1.2.1]

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-10-2013 at 03:57 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote