Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Book covers on home screen?

Any bored hackers out there want to develop a hack to show book covers on the Home Screen (similar to how the Kobo does it).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Hmmm, let me think...
I'd have to inspect the .mpb (sp?) files to see if/that they keep a log of the last access time, and compare it to all the others to confirm it was the last book read.

That might be hard because a lot of people read a ton of books at the same time. But, theoretically, I think it's possible. It would have to, in real time, parse/extract the book cover from the last book and dynamically create a png/jpg of it with the proper formatting and put it in the (hacked) "screensavers" folder on the file system.

I think that would be really cool; I'll see what I can do. I also think it would be boss if the screensaver could be a real-time clock, or something like that
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A screensaver of the currently reading book would be cool but I was actually thinking of the home screen (where you select the books).

Here's a picture of the home screen on Kobo.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Nesokas
Nesokas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you really think you can do that statethatiamin? It would be really cool XD
Nesokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think statethatiamin had a slightly different picture of what was asked for first. Creating a user interface for selecting books is much more difficult than displaying a book cover as a screensaver. It would involve a tremendous amount of work.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Even though it's not what the OP wanted a screensaver of my current reading book would be primo.

Realtime clock would be a no go, because the kindle would have to live outside sleep mode to update it.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
just_jeepin
Addict

Yeah, the current book cover as screen saver would be cool (and has been mentioned before) but as some people have mentioned... some people read more than one book at a time (personally I'd hate to read more than one thing at a time).

I was hoping that adding book covers to the book list would be easy. I assumed that it wouldn't be much different than just adding a few lines of code to an html file.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Yeah, the current book cover as screen saver would be cool (and has been mentioned before) but as some people have mentioned... some people read more than one book at a time (personally I'd hate to read more than one thing at a time).

I was hoping that adding book covers to the book list would be easy. I assumed that it wouldn't be much different than just adding a few lines of code to an html file.
It would involve de-obfuscating and decompiling the Kindle OS (Java compiled bytecode) and modifying it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover art, hack, idea