Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2006, 05:32 AM   #61
dreadnought
Sony Reader owner wannabe
dreadnought began at the beginning.

Device: Archos PMA400
I've finally found someone in the States who's agreed to buy the Reader for me and ship it to where I'm currently living (Kyrgyzstan - don't ask ). She lives in New York, so I directed her to the Sony Style shop on Madison Avenue. However, reading some of the other posts, it seems that the stock is dwindling pretty fast! I'm hoping she'll be able to get it there, but if not, what other options are there for B & M stores in New York? Any other Sony outlets that might stock them? What about Borders in NY? Would be grateful for any info that people can pass along. My friend's not much of a gadget freak, so the more info I can give her about where to go, the better...
dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #62
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check the Sony's dealer locator.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #63
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Unhappy None available in Western PA

I called all three Borders stores in the area. They all have them on order (even though the Sony dealer locator only lists two of the three!), none have received any stock yet.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #64
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutestory
@NatCh: I guess I had the telltale signs of a "typical" new poster, asking "Hey, does anyone out there know the answer to this really-obvious-question-answered-in-a-sticky-and-in-the-FAQ-which-I-didn't-bother-reading?" I really do appreciate the nudge; sorry I didn't make myself clearer about using the locator.
actually, my thought was more along the lines of "that's a new thing, perhaps he missed it."

It's all good, we're on the same virtual page now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #65
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Does anyone know if the sony style store in Ceasars Las Vegas has/is stocked/stocking the reader?
I'm from the UK and I was going to do one of those shipping services using Amazon, but I'm heading to Vegas in a couple of weeks so will try to pick one up whilst I'm there (But I do need to confirm that the store does indded sell them as I don't believe it's a 'full' sony style store)
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #66
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought
I've finally found someone in the States who's agreed to buy the Reader for me and ship it to where I'm currently living (Kyrgyzstan - don't ask ). She lives in New York, so I directed her to the Sony Style shop on Madison Avenue. However, reading some of the other posts, it seems that the stock is dwindling pretty fast! I'm hoping she'll be able to get it there, but if not, what other options are there for B & M stores in New York? Any other Sony outlets that might stock them? What about Borders in NY? Would be grateful for any info that people can pass along. My friend's not much of a gadget freak, so the more info I can give her about where to go, the better...
I called all of the Borders in NYC and they didn't know what it was. Someone asked me if it was some sort of dictionary. Tell her to get to the Sony style as soon as possible.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #67
dreadnought
Sony Reader owner wannabe
dreadnought began at the beginning.

Device: Archos PMA400
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42
I called all of the Borders in NYC and they didn't know what it was. Someone asked me if it was some sort of dictionary. Tell her to get to the Sony style as soon as possible.
Will do. Thanks for the tip. Seems that Borders has really been left out of the loop with the Reader's release....
dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #68
Cutestory
Voice of Reason
Cutestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505
@tekchic: Thanks!

@dreadnought: One of the Borders I talked to seem to think it was some kind of history of Sony products: the "Sony Reader" as it were. Another wouldn't bother searching for me. Borders should train their sales people better. Sheesh!

I really should try to get some work done today, and stop trying to kick myself in the head (I'm not nearly flexible enough) for not ordering one the second I got the notice from the Sony online store...and to think I could be reading a friend's book on it right this second!

That's right--I was browsing the Connect store and was surprised to notice a book a friend of mine wrote was for sale there. I can't wait to show it to him! I'm sure he'll freak out.

By the way, just to keep this from going totally OT, I called Sony Style in the Beverly Center again today. They think Saturday, though that's not going to keep me from calling every morning.
Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #69
m42
Enthusiast

When I bought mine one of the salesmen was willing to hold one for me. However, I don't have the funds to purchase another one quite so soon. His name was Troy, 212-833-6344. Dreadnought, perhaps he can hold one for your friend, until she can make it to the store.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #70
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Poor Troy's going to be getting a lot of calls today! Hope he doesn't lose his job, lol.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #71
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I used to carry such things in a belt pouch, which my wife hated. Something about making me look deformed.
The DH uses his diaper bag which is a Jack Spade bag. Why don't more men carry those messenger type bags?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #72
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
Why don't more men carry those messenger type bags?
Probably because we've been socially programmed for generations against anything that might get us accused of carrying a 'purse.'

Speaking for myself, I'll set a bag down and forget it, but things attached to my body/worn I don't lose.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #73
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by THJahar
Does anyone know if the sony style store in Ceasars Las Vegas has/is stocked/stocking the reader?
I'm from the UK and I was going to do one of those shipping services using Amazon, but I'm heading to Vegas in a couple of weeks so will try to pick one up whilst I'm there (But I do need to confirm that the store does indded sell them as I don't believe it's a 'full' sony style store)
Anybody? Surely there must be some inveterate gamblers amongst you who can drag themselves away from the craps table to have a look?
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #74
m42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Poor Troy's going to be getting a lot of calls today! Hope he doesn't lose his job, lol.
The salesman at SonyStyle were all very helpful and willing to give you a card so that you can contact them directly. I think they train them that way because that area is full of tourists. But even so, if a fellow techie needs a device I must do what I can to help him.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #75
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
THJahar:
>Does anyone know if the sony style store in Ceasars Las Vegas
>has/is stocked/stocking the reader?

IMHO, once you are in Vegas, just call them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote