Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle for Android App Adds Voice Search

From PC Magazine

Quote:
The app, which was released in June, now includes features like searching within the text - by typing or voice. Users can also make annotations and highlight text. There is also a connection to Shelfari, the book-focused social network, which includes things like description of the book, synopsis, summary, and cast of characters.
Kindle 3 currently has a non-functioning microphone. I wonder if a future firmware update will enable it and allow voice search on the Kindle as well.

Is there someone with the Android app who could tell us how this works?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
I just tried it on my Droid. It brings up the standard Google search widget and you can type your search string or touch the microphone icon and speak it. I used "Gulliver's Travels" and tried Lilliput and Brobdingnab with no success. Then I made it easier and tried "species". This time it got it right and found the word 31 places in the book. It brings up a list of text snippets with your search string highlighted. You touch one of them and it immediately goes to that point in the book, again with the search string highlighted.

Cool, but is it useful. Maybe...
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks OakdaleMike! I wonder if this is a step toward making the Kindle and it's apps more usable for low vision people. Voice navigation, TTS and voice search would be a useful combo.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Can you tell me how easy it is to get non-Amazon content into the android Kindle app? I tried Kindle on the iPad and it was quite difficult to load other content than the Kindle store.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Can you tell me how easy it is to get non-Amazon content into the android Kindle app? I tried Kindle on the iPad and it was quite difficult to load other content than the Kindle store.
I don't believe any of the Kindle apps work with non-Amazon content.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You know, it SAYS they don't on the Amazon page, but I dragged a non DRM'd mobi into the Kindle folder on the SD card of my Android phone, booted up the Kindle for Android program, and Voila! the book is right there. So hey, I even put a few things of my own in there, like my prescription list, converted to mobi.

Try it. It works.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
As Betty notes, it is as easy as placing your Mobipocket files in the /Kindle folder of your device.

Android is not Apple

However, the Android version doesn't show cover artwork for all non-Amazon files, relying upon an Amazon ASIN tag in metadata as opposed to simply showing the internal cover as other Kindle apps do.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, I believe all of them work with Mobipocket files that are not infested with DRM. Certainly every one I have used does.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I did a search test on my HTC Desire, a book about golf and I spoke "pitch" the search widget began looking for "bitch". Why are programmers such misogynists?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Actually, I believe all of them work with Mobipocket files that are not infested with DRM. Certainly every one I have used does.
You cannot sideload files to the Kindle app on a non-jailbroken iThing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks for the correction bjones6416 and bwaldron!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You cannot sideload files to the Kindle app on a non-jailbroken iThing.
True -- but the Kindle app supports the content if you get it there...or at least the version I used did, back when I owned a Touch. Splitting hairs, I know.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thanks for the correction bjones6416 and bwaldron!

I drag my books all over the place on all my devices. I apparently have a phobia of being somewhere and not having something to read RIGHT THAT MINUTE.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote