Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Some simple questions . . .

So I'm torn between the Kindle DX and the Nook.

Will Calibre work and transfer mobi books directly to the Kindle DX without having to go through the email service? I can't seem to find a rock solid answer and see a lot of posts about texts moved to the device that don't show up.

Thanks!
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Calibre can sync to the Kindle DX if you have the Kindle connected to your PC with a USB cable.

You can also simply drag and drop content to the Kindle yourself since it shows up just like a normal USB drive.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes it will
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Good news. I'm just trying to decide between the larger (AND more expensive Kindle DX) and the dark horse Nook.

Dang why is it so hard to decide
Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
In my opinion the Kindles of whatever size are a lot more convenient, as they allow you to get free content from a lot of places wirelessly, for example Project Gutenberg, whereas the Nook does not, as I understand it. Also, in a pinch you can use your Kindle to read email and you can't do that with the Nook.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Good news. I'm just trying to decide between the larger (AND more expensive Kindle DX) and the dark horse Nook.

Dang why is it so hard to decide
You know they have the refurbished ones again for $399? Fully 1 yr warranty, free two day shipping, and 30 day money back guarantee...........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Rootman
Groupie

geneven, AFAIK you can get free content through a PC with the web browser from Gutenberg. Whatever I buy I plan on keeping a local backup on my PC using Calibre as by library pplication so Kindle or Nook doesn't matter in this case.

Does anyone use the free Wikipedia access? It sounds cool. This, the free dictionary available from any book and "maybe" the "read to me" function make me lean toward the Kindle - today at least. I am nearsighted and read while "watching" TV (drives my wife nuts! ) and the larger screens of both the Nook and Kindle appeal to me as I won't have to wear my reading glasses and then have to look over them or take them off to glance at TV.

The larger screen for PDF reading on the Kindle also appeals to me, I can see downloading a lot of technical stuff for later reading. It makes the DX my Kindle of choice. The higher price of the larger Kindle does NOT appeal to me.

The .epub support on Nook is nice. I rather like the epub format, the last format besides TXT files was PDB when I used to carry a Palm. I also like the lower Nook price, the touch navigation and most of all the expandable memory - so I can stop carrying my MP3 player and listen to tunes AND read at the same time.

Ahh, me thinkks I should try the Kindle and return it if it doesn't work for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Ahh, me thinkks I should try the Kindle and return it if it doesn't work for me.
And see............thats a HUGE selling feature of the kindle. No, you can't try it out in stores, but how much can you learn in the small amount of time if you do?

This way, you download, convert, play with and read.

After just a few days, you'll know if it is the device for you.

If so.......great!

If not........you are out maybe $10-12 for return shipping. Thats it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Rootman
Groupie

Well I pulled th trigger and ordered a DX. Got a "refurbished" one and it with a snazzy leather cover and screen protective film with shipping cost less than the retail price of a new one.

I'm anxious to start using it.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
What I am amazed with Calibre is that is is so user-friendly. It even produces a .mobi file that is text to speech!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Congrats on the Kindle DX, it's a very cool device apart from a couple of minor niggles!
I'm waiting for more Nook reviews and until the nook is in the hands of lots of users before considering a move in that direction. We'll soon know the deal.

As for Kindles, we might not see Kindle 3 before Christmas but Feb 2010 (one year after the release of Kindle 2) might be reasonable. Also with the potential Apple tablet in Jan/Feb 2010 I think I might just wait a little bit longer. I'm going to wait and see what's on offer Feb 2010 and make an upgrade then - nook, kindle 3 or apple tablet depending on what's happening..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote