Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #421
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Kindle PID and the PID used by the iPhone Kindle software are generated by software. At the moment, the software generates the PID based on a unique hardware ID in the Kindle or iPhone, but Amazon could change the way the PID is generated with a firmware update at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghchinoy View Post
I don't think Amazon can change the PID on the hardware, I believe this is the same reason why, if you deauthorize your Kindle and sell it to someone else, they get all the ebooks that remain on the device. Same thing with the iPhone/iPodTouch - that serial number's hard coded. (Until they change their their DRM scheme).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #422
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Kindle PID and the PID used by the iPhone Kindle software are generated by software. At the moment, the software generates the PID based on a unique hardware ID in the Kindle or iPhone, but Amazon could change the way the PID is generated with a firmware update at any time.
They could but they almost certainly won't. The amount of work required would be huge.

Since Amazon's DRM format (azw) is based upon Mobipocket DRM, we can be fairly certain that the .azw books are also encrypted the same way - with a PID. They'd have to reissue a new Kindle firmware, and also change the internal Amazon server encryption code. Depending on how they did it, they'd have to re-issue all of the old books or make both PID methods work at the same time.

After they did all that, it'd take a tiny effort to make a new kindlepid.py that accounted for the new scheme.

They'd be much better served to use the new 'unbreakable' format that I keep hearing about, Topaz. They would honestly just be better served to get rid of DRM altogether. Because Topaz will be broken next, so will Topaz 2, Topaz 3....
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #423
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
On top of all THAT, I think the Amazon store stands pretty well on its own. It's easier just to buy Kindle books from them than to pirate, based on ease of use and low cost. The DRM isn't even necessary in my opinion, at this point it's just bullying.
This is an excellent point, and one I wish Amazon (and its lawyers) would take more note of.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #424
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A good reason to stay away from Whispernet!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #425
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If Amazon had a clue, they would have modified the Serial Number to PID algorithm before releasing the iPhone software. Then KindlePID (with minor updates) would not have worked. The fact that they already knew (or should have known) that KindlePID would generate the PID weakens their case if KindlePID ever ends up in court.

I agree with pdurrant that Amazon could easily introduce a new Serial Number to PID scheme at any time, all it would require is a firmware update and redownloading all existing DRMed Kindle ebooks with the new PID. They could even modify AZW encryption (change it from MOBI encryption), which would close the OverDrive loophole completely and also prevent mobidedrm from working on AZW files. This is an advantage that a single-provider has over DRMed content which isn't easily available to multi-sourced content.

Since the PID was not designed by MobiPocket to be "secret", I doubt any PID modification would remain a mystery for very long. Modifying the encryption scheme would stop mobidedrm in its tracks, but I would not be surprised to see an azwdedrm within a few days of the change.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #426
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Single case specifically dealing with software, as far as I know.

Vernor vs Autodesk
Thanks. It was as I feared, just a US District Court case. It has no real value in terms of establishing rights except as between the parties directly involved. It would have more force if it were a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #427
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
Now I'm VERY glad I didn't buy a K2! This is exactly the mentality I feared Amazon had, even though they are just now fully showing their true colors. Whatever device I buy will support multiple non-drm formats. I'm holding out to see what the Hanlin/BeBook 2 looks like.

And FYI, I'm another of those that had no idea that script existed until I read this story. lol So GREAT JOB Amazon! Thanks for helping spread the word about the tools that give people their freedom back.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #428
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I know this much. I was going to order a K2 on Tuesday night. Now I'm going to buy a Sony Reader.
Well, I made that decision without Amazon's "help," but I feel pretty much the same way. And it will impact my buying decisions involving future purchases on Amazon, whether of books or other items.

I think that Amazon believes that ease of use will overcome negative goodwill, so that it can pretty much dictate to its customers on a take it or leave it basis. But everyone knows that the only company whose product is THAT good is Apple!

I think I'll mosey on over to Amazon and erase all my reviews...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #429
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Thanks. It was as I feared, just a US District Court case. It has no real value in terms of establishing rights except as between the parties directly involved. It would have more force if it were a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision.
The foundation case used to make the ruling, US vs Wise, is a 9th Circuit case. That's the one that established "if you don't have to give it back, it was a sale, not a lease or use license, regardless of what's written on the receipt." It dealt with films, which come out very close to ebooks, video games or software packages: you could use them by yourself, or you could share them, or give them away/sell them when you no longer have a need/interest.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #430
Gafle
Gafle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
[Offensive language removed by moderator]
Court battles are expensive Smokey so you cant really blame MR for taking the safe harbour option in this case.
Gafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #431
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I was waffling back and forth - my sister-in-law has a K2 and my brother was raving about it. However since she works for Amazon and not on the ground floor I can see why they are for it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #432
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I was waffling back and forth - my sister-in-law has a K2 and my brother was raving about it. However since she works for Amazon and not on the ground floor I can see why they are for it.
You couldn't get your sister to talk to Jess Bezos and make him see sense?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #433
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
This news has spread quite a bit (as a simple Google search will indicate) ... so Amazon must be getting some bad press.

Wonder (but not holding my breath) if they are preparing to issue some kind of an official response to deal with this PR nightmare.

Or may be they have become THAT arrogant to believe they have the market captured enough to be able to afford ignoring the bad press this issue is generating.

Curious mind wants to know which of these cases this is !
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #434
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
We respectfully demand that you immediatly remove [...] all such anti-circumvention technologies [...].
What?^^
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #435
Richie
Richie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Kindle DRM restricts usage of Periodicals purchased from Amazon

New to the Forum, but I was hoping someone might have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue.
---------------
I posted this on Kindle discussion forum on Amazon. Have also called their customer service and they say, that's the way it is.

---------------

If your Kindle 1 breaks or you purchase a Kindle 2 all your Newspaper and Magazine issues will be UNREADABLE on the replacement or new device.

First, Amazon does not archive Newspaper and Magazine issues in your account for more that a few issues unlike when you purchase books.

It is up to you to back up NPs and Magazines onto your computer to archive, for example The Wall Street Journal.

Here is the rub. Should you loose, receive a replacement Kindle (warranty or otherwise) or purchase a Kindle 2 ALL past issues of Newspapers or Magazines that were downloaded to the original Kindle will be UNREADABLE on any subsequent Kindle even though it is registered to your account.

Think about this for a moment. You BUY these periodicals and obtain the rights for your use, but if you purchase or replace your Kindle you have no further rights to read past issues YOU bought and paid for.

One better hope that their Kindle never breaks because Amazon does not repair YOUR Kindle they replace it with another. Therefore no more use of your periodicals.

Sound absurd? Well it is true. So much for a reference library.

On one hand you can purchase a hard copy of a magazine or newspaper and let 1000 people read it, but now it turns out you can't even read a copy of the very one YOU purchased.

For all the good that has come out of Kindle it amazes me some of the stupidity that has been built in to their policies
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote