Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Talking Just bought a prs-505 at the sony store

After much debating I've settled on the prs-505 as my ebook reader for the time being, I think the technology is too new to expect it to just have minor changes over subsequent generations for now.
so I'm getting the least expensive option with the most buttons which usually helps when the interface hasn't had 1000's of users and years of fine tuning(ie ipod video)

also in the goodie bag: 3x2gb sd cards, I wanted smaller ones but the store doesn't carry 512's

and a sony 2gb pro duo chip as well.

a few questions to start off:

Am I better off loading all my books on one chip, or loading them all fairly evenly?
I was thinking I'd load things I'm most interested in internally, second tier stuff into the sony card, and then use a pile of sd cards for everything else since I read that internal is fastest, sony is second and sd is the worst.

is there any benefit to highspeed sd cards?

am I better off with 2gb on the sony card, or splitting it between 2 cards at the same time(one sd and one sony)?

any spyware or nasty things sony is going to do that I should know about?

anything I should download to use with it right away?

is the screen supposed to be so shiny? I find it problematic in bright lights as it is now.

any suggestions on anything about else about it appreciated too

this is just too cool way better then the original ipod, e-ink is amazing!
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
If you're hopping between books a lot, keep the split even (i.e. minimum amount on each) would be my recommendation,for the fastest speed.

If you read one book after another, it's probably moot. The speed issue only shows up (for me anyhow) when refreshing the card (e.g. after disconnection from the computer or inserting a new card). I can't really tell a difference reading from a card or the internal memory - YMMV.

If you are really interested in speed (and battery life) and the internal memory holds all you need to keep handy, put all your stuff there. The only downside is you can't manage that without using a computer and Sony's software, or one of the alternatives you can find here, courtesy of the generous programmers on MR. If you want to buy books from Sony you have to use their software.

I haven't had any issues with the Sony software (under XP) on a couple of machines. Not a real speed demon, but it gets the job done. If you've got more demanding uses (e.g. 'subscribing' to web sites) you'll want to use some of the alternative software.

Consider getting a good protective case that prevents flexing the reader and an external charger (Playstation Portable models work fine).

Have a look around at the free books here and the alternative pay and free sites (e.g. manybooks.net, gutenberg.org, baen.com, etc.). There's more to the Reader than Sony.

Welcome aboard!

Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 07-02-2008 at 09:43 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I doa fair amount of reading on a daily basis, and don't need a card at all. Are you sure you even need one before you bought 3? My 505 right now has about 70-80 novels on it, and some short-medium length stories. That's at least 6 months of reading right there. And there's still lots of free memory space left over.

Your best bet is to simply load a whole bunch of books you plan to read into internal memory. It is easily accessible and has the least battery drain. If your internal memory is full, you aren't really going to read those 'second tier' books in a card any time soon.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
It's mostly so I can choose, some will be for me(first tier), some for work(second tier), some for my girlfriend, and some just in case books(sd cards), some reference ones(second tier) and I'll be away from the computer for up to a month sometimes, and will likely be traveling with it in '09, up to a year of travel if I can afford it.

It's nice to have the right book for the occasion

I have a terabyte is called Alexandria, so far it has a library in it and is almost 1/3rd full, so with just 3 cards I will really be picking and choosing.
I collect free books the way some people collect stamps I suppose.

Last edited by JGB; 07-03-2008 at 12:10 AM.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just remember this, using an SD card will use more battery power to run the SD card. If you don't need the SD card, it's best not to use it so you have more reading time per charge.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
One further consideration (this may be different on the 505) -- when I did use a SD card in my 500, I did notice a longer page turn time and a longer time opening a book when I turned the reader on. Once I took the SD card out, the page turn time improved as did the time opening a book. I found the same thing with a Memory Stick also.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

A lot will also depend on how you use the reader. Looking inside the case for mine there are cards containing:

1) Game walkthrus and maps. (Not for me. I never need help. They're for...a friend. Ya, a friend.)

2) Various programming sheets, articles and books for CAD and tooling work. (Actually used to make working for the man a bit more efficient and keep the work area cleaner.)

3) Maps. (Don't even ask.)

4) Every hardware and software manual that came in an digital format (including RTF, PDF and, after a little converting, CHM). Anyone with a small apartment knows how easy it is to lose docs. Especially docs for something a couple years old. This also includes printed website forums since often those contain better info than official product documentation.

5) Ummm, a card with the chant "You do not want to go back to jail. Let it go." with some nice soothing music under it. (Usually used only in extreme situations. Useful when people won't let you read in peace and insist on telling you all about there current fungal problems and, oh hey, what are you listening to?)

All of it would fall in the category of "like to have available but do not need immediately". Cards are perfect for that.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello JGB and welcome,

I gathered some simple tricks and ideas in this other thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=24487&page=2

Hope you find them useful
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have one SD chip but leave it out of the reader as that does improve battery life. I keep all my classics on the chip so they are available should I need them. Keep all my regular reads (Sci Fi, Trashy Detective novels etc) in the internal memory
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote