Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #46
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question

In regards to these freeze-ups, I have two naive questions:

1. Has anyone who has NOT synced with Sony's Reader software had the freezup? I have NOT synced.

2. When you "flip" the pages, how gentle are you? I use barely enough pressure to touch the screen (remember the sensors are hovering above the screen, not in the screen itself) and I only drag my finger about 1/4 of an inch, not all the way across the screen. Am I doing this the same way everyone else is? I haven't frozen yet, but I haven't read a lot either.

Any comments on these?

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #47
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post

1. Has anyone who has NOT synced with Sony's Reader software had the freezup? I have NOT synced.

2. When you "flip" the pages, how gentle are you? I use barely enough pressure to touch the screen (remember the sensors are hovering above the screen, not in the screen itself) and I only drag my finger about 1/4 of an inch, not all the way across the screen. Am I doing this the same way everyone else is? I haven't frozen yet, but I haven't read a lot either.

Any comments on these?

AJ
Question 1 - It happened before I synced.

Question 2 - I have a light touch. I don't swipe the whole screen & do a light flick. Do that with my PRS 350 too.

My new reader from Sony should be coming in today. So we'll see how it goes.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #48
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hi AJ,

My freezing started as soon as I stared reading a book on it within an hour. I did not charge it first. Then it did it again after i loaded 12 books onto it. Then again after I connected to the new Reader software.

My belief is that it is an OS or equipment issue. Charging it doesn't matter, the types of books put on it doesn't matter, how you swipe doesn't matter, nothing. After mine freezes, it stays that way for at least half and hour before touch application works again.

If not for the freezes, I would actually be in love with this piece of ......

This is the first Sony reader that I truly am begining to dislike, out of the five different ones I have.

Why five, because I have liked each upgrade that I tried and didn't want to get rid of them, outside of gifting them. Hmmmm

Thanks Sony for sucking at customer service
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Okay, this Jonathan, Sony Customer Service Rep, is REALLYY getting personal here. He tells me he thinks I just don't like the product. I had to correct him and advise him how many Sony readers I currently own, and how many I have bought as gifts.

After I stopped him being angry and reminded him IIII should be angry after spending my money on Sony's product, where Sony can't seem to answer the questions about the unit or fix the problem, without getting personal with CUSTOMERS, he made a suggestion to do a hard reset, which would erase everything from the unit. I told him I already had, and no joy..the problem was not fixed.

Then he wanted to know the color....of the...unit? Why? Arrrgggh.

No solutions were given from Sony, who is about to suggest I send the unit to them. NOT. I will take it back to Target and wait it out.

Obviously I don't want to give up on this thing, but, I'm already 60% there.
Over the years I've owned the 505, 300, 600, 900, 350, and 950. Most were great and never had problems, but occasionally I had to call Sony CS. I noticed that it made a huge difference in whether I had bought the reader directly from Sony or through a retailer. If through a retailer Sony CS treated me like sh**, if I had bought directly from Sony they treated me a lot better. Sony needs to take a CS lesson from Amazon--the customer is always right!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #50
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post

2. When you "flip" the pages, how gentle are you?
AJ
1. I charged mine fully before first use. Did not use Sony software. All my syncing is done through Calibre.

2. Very.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #51
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Over the years I've owned the 505, 300, 600, 900, 350, and 950. Most were great and never had problems, but occasionally I had to call Sony CS. I noticed that it made a huge difference in whether I had bought the reader directly from Sony or through a retailer. If through a retailer Sony CS treated me like sh**, if I had bought directly from Sony they treated me a lot better. Sony needs to take a CS lesson from Amazon--the customer is always right!

I've been fortunate so far. I got mine from Best Buy & in each contact with Sony CS, I have been treated well.......Hope I didn't jinx myself now.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #52
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Question 1 - It happened before I synced.

Question 2 - I have a light touch. I don't swipe the whole screen & do a light flick. Do that with my PRS 350 too.

My new reader from Sony should be coming in today. So we'll see how it goes.
Pomtroll, I do wish you luck. But this is becoming more widespread, so I would suspect it is a firmware issue. I hope someone at Sony is seeing this. By the way, is there a forum on the Sony site?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
...By the way, is there a forum on the Sony site?
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewforum...4129619d13cdf4
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #54
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks, SCION! That forum is not so good. I went there to see if I saw a mention of the freezing problem. I couldn't find a one.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Thanks, SCION! That forum is not so good. I went there to see if I saw a mention of the freezing problem. I couldn't find a one.
Everyone should post there at least once regarding the issue. It'll get visibility. Someone start a thread, and others can chime in as confirmation. Just copy and paste what's going on here.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #56
jersysman
Wizard

Good idea. I don't have mine yet or I would start it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #57
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I may have missed this, but has anyone had an issue with the red one freezing?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #58
Pomtroll
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

And also from Scion: Everyone should post there at least once regarding the issue. It'll get visibility. Someone start a thread, and others can chime in as confirmation. Just copy and paste what's going on here.

I just made a post there about the freezing & crashing.

By the way my Sony replacement didn't come today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #59
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I may have missed this, but has anyone had an issue with the red one freezing?
S

My red one has not frozen, but I've been very gentle with it and have only read a few pages as I've been learning it. I did not and will not use the Sony Reader Software so I have not sync'd it.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #60
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Got a new unit from the Sony Store where I purchased mine and it seems to work find; been a few days and no more freezes. Talked to the sales rep (same one I purchased the original from) and he seemed really surprised that I had a good experience with customer service—then he said "wait, did you use live chat?" Yes, I had. Apparently live chat is the way to go, don't call them.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote