Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's not very clear, but I think you can download AZW files to PC and transfer them to the Kindle over USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I don't think so because on the Amazon site, the only option is to get the book sent to your Kindle.

I wonder, then, if you have more than 200 books, what happens? Can you save to an SD card and then transfer them to your computer. I suppose you could email them to yourself? Maybe not. It sounds like the ebooks are trapped on the Kindle.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I don't think so because on the Amazon site, the only option is to get the book sent to your Kindle.

I wonder, then, if you have more than 200 books, what happens? Can you save to an SD card and then transfer them to your computer. I suppose you could email them to yourself? Maybe not. It sounds like the ebooks are trapped on the Kindle.
They say they store them for re-download if you want to free up room on the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It should be possible to transfer AMZ files from the Kindle to your PC via USB. I assume they will still work if they are transfered back. Since Amazon once before had e-books on-line and then deleted them after one year, it is a very good idea to have a backup copy of all AMZ files on your PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
silvania
Enthusiast
silvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura about

Device: palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh well - should make our Mobi downloads more popular, at least .

I would GUESS (and a guess is all it is) that the Kindle is a standard DRM-encoded Mobi file, and that the sales mechanism will encode it for the user's registered device automatically. IF that's the case, and IF the Mobi PID is accessible somehow, that would let Kindle owners buy other Mobi books. What it will NOT do, of course, is allow non-Kindle-owners to buy Kindle books.
The kindle manually explicitly says there is no way to put a drm mobi book "from another retailer" on the kindle. Looks like they torqued it to lock out other retailers.
silvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Kindle's User Guide in ".AZW Kindle Format". The file IS Mobipocket format (rename it to .mobi).
Just tested this on my Iliad. Renaming to prc worked without a problem.

I wonder if you used your Kindle's serial as your Mobipocket PID, if it'd allow you to buy books from the Mobipocket store.

I've tried entering my iLiad's PID as my Kindle serial, and it doesn't allow it.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
@Adam: Is this for sure? A kindle-file IS a normal Mobipocket-file that just needs to be renamed?
Oh well, then I will stop ranting - or wait, there is still no europe-support and it is not sure, wether this is true for every file and wether they will change it in the future. AND I would need an kindle to buy those, so .. I probably will go on.

@AMAZON: Please, just sell those kindle-files to everyone. In both - kindle and mobipocket format.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
@Adam: Is this for sure? A kindle-file IS a normal Mobipocket-file that just needs to be renamed?
Oh well, then I will stop ranting - or wait, there is still no europe-support and it is not sure, wether this is true for every file and wether they will change it in the future. AND I would need an kindle to buy those, so .. I probably will go on.

@AMAZON: Please, just sell those kindle-files to everyone. In both - kindle and mobipocket format.
Pardon me for butting in, but I think a DRM-free .AZW is just a Mobipocket file that you can just rename to read. You can change the name of a DRM-ed .AZW file but that doesn't get you past the DRM. You still will only be licensed to view it with a Kindle.

Hopefully the publishers will start selling their ebooks through multiple sources. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon gets a little better price, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Kindle doesn't own them, per se, any more than they own the rights to say, The Hobbit, they just have distribution rights to them.

The folks who own the files are the copyright holders or publishers, depending on contractual nuances. I think I'll go out on a limb here and guess that they might have some interest in distribution deals with other sellers in other formats.

Assuming that Amazon's distribution privileges are non-exclusive (and they evidently are not), then there's nothing stopping other arrangements from being made with other sellers. "Rising tide" and all that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The cited problem from publishers has always been that they do not have their past catalog in digital form from which to create ebooks. If Amazon is getting them to create these "new" "old" ebooks then it is in their own best interest to allow other distributors to also sell these ebooks.

Perhaps, like Apple, they will start with DRM versions and move to non-DRM versions as time passes. Then again, if they are selling in DRM, why bother stripping it out.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Then again, if they are selling in DRM, why bother stripping it out.
I believe the common practice is to apply the DRM just before download -- that's how they lock it to a given device/account, as far as I know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
robhedin
robhedin began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post

you can down load them either via the kindle directly or through the "my media library" thingie on amazon. Each kindle edition book purchased shows up there with a download link that you can retrieve from a PC/Mac and then push to the Kindle via USB.

rob.
robhedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
you can down load them either via the kindle directly or through the "my media library" thingie on amazon. Each kindle edition book purchased shows up there with a download link that you can retrieve from a PC/Mac and then push to the Kindle via USB.
Yup, and I called Kindle Customer support to ask about the wireless and also asked this. That is what they said. Important to me as we do not get EVDO here, only the much slower 1x something.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:11 AM   #29
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The cited problem from publishers has always been that they do not have their past catalog in digital form from which to create ebooks. If Amazon is getting them to create these "new" "old" ebooks then it is in their own best interest to allow other distributors to also sell these ebooks.

Perhaps, like Apple, they will start with DRM versions and move to non-DRM versions as time passes. Then again, if they are selling in DRM, why bother stripping it out.
It's always possible that Amazon might be doing the work to digitise the books. So they might have a non-exclusive licence but the publishers woul have to do the work to digitse the book to make available in other formats.

It does seem really odd that the Kindle won't read mobipocket-format books bought from someone else.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #30
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
It does seem really odd that the Kindle won't read mobipocket-format books bought from someone else.
Amazon don't want it. They want Kindle customers to buy content from Amazon only. Although as long as you don't care about DRM I don't see any reason why to buy it somewhere else. I don't think anyone is going to beat amazon's prices for ebooks.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote