Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #16
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
I've cleaned, brushed, and blown under the bezel all around. The letters still don't work.

It does appear that it's a whole column on the device ... none of the letters, numbers, or symbols that occupy that area work.

How far under the bezel can I go? Using my fingernail, it doesn't seem I can go very far. It also doesn't look like there is anything under the bezel all the way around.

My first thought was that I can work around the issue. Now, I realize I want to re-do my Collections/shelves. I would need to use "c", "f", and "r"!

Any other thoughts?
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #17
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
It is much easier to create and organize and update shelves/collections via Calibre on your pc. And as an added bonus, you don't need to type using the kobo.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

I did use Calibre to re-add all my ePubs ... and my Collections/Shelves.

But, it's just weird ...

Anyway, thank you to all who helped!

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #19
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Try wiping the top/bottom edges in that area with a barely dampened q-tip maybe (not wet, just enough moisture to maybe wipe off something stuck there)
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #20
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

So, hubby and I tried lots of things ... and now it works a few times ... like "rfcr" and then it stops working ... so, probably not something under the bezel.

Really odd.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

EEERRRGGGHHHHH ...

Now the light doesn't work!

The symbol changes when I press the button, so I know it's not the button.

Is it possible that, in trying to dislodge something caught in the bezel, the light mechanism was damaged?

In the past (though not recently), if the light didn't come on when I pressed the button, it seemed it was a power issue. I would plug it in and the light would work. Every once in a while, I would need to do a reset (paperclip in reset hole).

Neither of those things worked. Last night, I was forced to use a (gasp!) book light!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Susie
Kansas
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
EEERRRGGGHHHHH ...

Now the light doesn't work!

The symbol changes when I press the button, so I know it's not the button.

Is it possible that, in trying to dislodge something caught in the bezel, the light mechanism was damaged?

In the past (though not recently), if the light didn't come on when I pressed the button, it seemed it was a power issue. I would plug it in and the light would work. Every once in a while, I would need to do a reset (paperclip in reset hole).

Neither of those things worked. Last night, I was forced to use a (gasp!) book light!
I suspect it just failed. I have a Glo whose light stopped working when it was a little more than two years old. The button still works as the icon changes when you press it. Just no light. Nothing obvious happened, it worked on night when reading, it didn't the next.

I don't think that trying to clean under the bezel would do it. I don't think you could reach the LEDs or anything else doing this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, nightmode, update