Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
You forget the hidden super power of all squirrels - gravity control - they get to define their own local direction of down.
one of the hidden powers of all squirrels !! er, among the hidden powers of squirrels are...

(heheheh..)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Neiher GNU mount nor K3B recognize it as a valid iso9960 format file.
I'll look into it.

The real reason I never tried to burn it was that I had - still have - no handy blank CDs.

-JPB
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I'll look into it.

The real reason I never tried to burn it was that I had - still have - no handy blank CDs.

-JPB
Props to you (and Baen) for making it available.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Is the aforementioned "Ghost" story on this CD? Or, could somebody add a pointer to it? It sounds interesting!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ghost is available on the Ghost CD, freely downloadable from

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/08-GhostCD/

There's also a method on that web page for just downloading the eBook itself (the 'extract Individual book' link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Is the aforementioned "Ghost" story on this CD? Or, could somebody add a pointer to it? It sounds interesting!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #21
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Props to you (and Baen) for making it available.
All of it goes to Baen.

I just happen to have a ton of free space on the service where I host my snippet site, so I wrote a few short scripts to serve the CDs.

-JPB
Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Believe me, you don't want to read it. It's just plain sick.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
On Mac OS X 10.5.5 I get "no mountable file systems" when trying to mount the disk image.

The Disk Utility seems happy to burn from the image, but the resulting CD won't mount either.

Under Windows XP SP2, I get "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." when I load the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
What kind of error did you get?

I didn't actually burn it to CD before making it live, I used Deamon Tools to read its contents and build the zip archive.

I haven't received any email about it, either.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Believe me, you don't want to read it. It's just plain sick.
On the other hand, the series it spawned has a few redeeming features; it makes it up to the literary level of the "men's fiction airport novel" anyway. The first book (Ghost), on the other hand, was a "get this OUT of my head, so I can write the real stuff" production.

HarryT is certainly correct to suggest that Ghost is a deeply disturbing novel. As to "just plain sick," I'm not quite sure where I fall on that front. But I'm pretty sure I don't want to get to know anyone who finds it a "fun read".

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Spoiler:
And if you read Vorpal Blade (the second book in the Looking Glass series) you can cheer as the RedShirt with my name dies... after torturing the other Marines with his bagpiping "skills." I'm happy to say that Staff Sgt. Sutherland dies well.

Xenophon
Way to go posting uncovered spoilers for people who may not yet hgave read the book. Please go back and edit the message to add in a spoiler code.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
But I'm pretty sure I don't want to get to know anyone who finds it a "fun read".
I'd be more worried about the people who can dissect the whole book complaining about things not being "completely accurate". (And I'm not talking military discrepancies.)

I generally like Ringo's work but that was....let's just say I didn't finish it. Some of us just don't fall in that particular demographic.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #27
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The operative phrase for Ghost is "oh John Ringo no".

Or so I've been told.

I've never actually worked up the courage to read it for myself. (The really sad thing is, I'd probably enjoy it.)
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #28
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Way to go posting uncovered spoilers for people who may not yet hgave read the book. Please go back and edit the message to add in a spoiler code.
Done. (Actually, I edited a different posting that exposed more information). Although I really didn't think that what I posted (in either spot) was a spoiler. It gives little-to-no-info about any important aspect of the book. Oh well...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
On Mac OS X 10.5.5 I get "no mountable file systems" when trying to mount the disk image.

The Disk Utility seems happy to burn from the image, but the resulting CD won't mount either.

Under Windows XP SP2, I get "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." when I load the CD.
In that case, I'll take the ISO offline, for the time being, and try to remember to grab some CDRs from the office (that's my actual missing spindle...) and give it a whirl.

-JPB
Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #30
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
....let's just say I didn't finish it. Some of us just don't fall in that particular demographic.
OH! In that case, I won't bother to start. I've got plenty of other things to read.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote