Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I don't even keep a card in my 505; it's pointless w/o folders.
Same here. I bought a 4GB card and then hit the "it takes an hour+ to index a large number of books" wall. The card is useless to me now, and gathers dust in my desk drawer.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
Wow, so at $4-$6 per book, you must have spent around $20K, you are richer than I, sir. I buy probably close to 50 books a year, maybe more. Even at a hundred books a year, it would take me 40 years to reach your lofty limits.
I'm not sure what relevance this has to the topic at hand, but manybooks.net has over 40,000 books, and they are all free for the download. The Silk Pagoda DVD have 10,000 ebooks on them for $10. So it is very easy to get thousands of ebooks.

Back on topic... This is one of the great things about the Kindle. I don't need to store 5000 ebooks on it... but with Whispernet and the feedbooks and mobilreader download guides I have access to that many and more in a matter of seconds. I think the feedbooks guide will be even better soon once Hadrien adds summaries for the ebooks to it. Although the file is already pretty big at this point.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-21-2008 at 11:15 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would like to have this option to keep all of my titles on the EB-1150 for a specific reason: My husband is a social butterfly and every new friend he meets gets to hear "Hey Honey, show them your book." I kept everything on there for a while, but it was hard to manage.

I could not tell which were read and unread without a lot of back-and-forthing with the PC. I would have to switch the categories from TBR to Finished, then reload them onto my device. Sounds simple enough, but it took a lot of time.

I would keep them all on there if I could change the categories directly on the EB-1150. As it is, the dozen or so I carry around waiting to be read get deleted off the device as I finish them, so the only things on my reader are TBR.

Now everybody play nice and congratulate Sealbeater for his accomplishment. He did what many of us can not do: Made his device go outside its specs to satisfy his personal needs. That is a nice accomplishment.

Signed,

The Other Social Butterfly (We never meet a stranger)

Last edited by DixieGal; 10-21-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Sorry, I put David instead of Sealbeater. Horrible handle, by the way.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
When I'm finished with my library, I will very likely have more than 4,000 books in it. Why?? Because I use my library for research. Being able to conduct a search on my Kindle for instant access to the information I need is incredibly valuable to me.

Not everyone uses their ebook reader for purely recreational reading. I have absolutely no intention of reading every case reporter ever published, or all of the statutes from all fifty states, but would I like to be able to carry them around with me when I need a quick reference (?) ... you bet!!

And, I also carry about a month's worth of listening around on my iPod, and the only time I sit back and just listen to any of it sequentially is when I am on a long drive or flight. But, nothing bothers me more than wanting to listen to a particular song, knowing I own a copy, and not finding it on my iPod.

So ... sealbeater, although I find your choice of screen name in bad taste, I agree with you completely on this issue.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Same here. I bought a 4GB card and then hit the "it takes an hour+ to index a large number of books" wall. The card is useless to me now, and gathers dust in my desk drawer.
The workaround I have used is to aggregate multiple books into one file. So rather than a book for each Sherlock Holmes story, for example, have one big file with a table of contents, pointing to each book. Doing this has let me have my 2000+ real books on a memory card, but because there are <300 ebook files, it is only about 5-10 minutes to rescan the card.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #21
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Now everybody play nice and congratulate Sealbeater for his accomplishment. He did what many of us can not do: Made his device go outside its specs to satisfy his personal needs. That is a nice accomplishment.

Signed,

The Other Social Butterfly (We never meet a stranger)
Thanks, I'm going to keep working on it but I'm taking a break to enjoy it, I do want to make everyone aware of openinkspot (not sure if it's that or inkPOT), hopefully one day soon, we'll have open firmware for our various devices. I hope this was helpful to someone.

I know my handle is horrible but I like it. I swear I love animals.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Thanks, I'm going to keep working on it but I'm taking a break to enjoy it, I do want to make everyone aware of openinkspot (not sure if it's that or inkPOT), hopefully one day soon, we'll have open firmware for our various devices. I hope this was helpful to someone.

I know my handle is horrible but I like it. I swear I love animals.

Okay, so I'm dying of curiosity. What is the background of your 'handle'? Like RM, who should be looking at the "off topic" thread right now, I'm wondering.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #23
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
[/COLOR]

Okay, so I'm dying of curiosity. What is the background of your 'handle'? Like RM, who should be looking at the "off topic" thread right now, I'm wondering.......
Well, when I was younger, I was into online first person shooter games, and there was a java game that I used to play where you took swigs of beer and took swings at virtual baby seals, the more you drank, the worse your aim, and I needed a good bloodthirsty name hence, Sealbeater was born.

If you think that's bad, you should have seen some of the names my friends came up with. I really can't print them, much worse than mine.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure what relevance this has to the topic at hand, but manybooks.net has over 40,000 books, and they are all free for the download. The Silk Pagoda DVD have 10,000 ebooks on them for $10. So it is very easy to get thousands of ebooks.
OK, more stuff.

It appears that this link is still active for the 10,000+ .pdf ebooks available on the Silk Pagoda DVD. It was being offered for free for a while!

BTW, these are all from the original Blackmask.com site, which now are available at www.munseys.com .
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #25
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
When I'm finished with my library, I will very likely have more than 4,000 books in it. Why?? Because I use my library for research. Being able to conduct a search on my Kindle for instant access to the information I need is incredibly valuable to me.

Not everyone uses their ebook reader for purely recreational reading. I have absolutely no intention of reading every case reporter ever published, or all of the statutes from all fifty states, but would I like to be able to carry them around with me when I need a quick reference (?) ... you bet!!

And, I also carry about a month's worth of listening around on my iPod, and the only time I sit back and just listen to any of it sequentially is when I am on a long drive or flight. But, nothing bothers me more than wanting to listen to a particular song, knowing I own a copy, and not finding it on my iPod.

So ... sealbeater, although I find your choice of screen name in bad taste, I agree with you completely on this issue.
Kind of like you would like there to be a button you press on your reader that would tell you 'move', and then show you which folder to move to (like eg: the 'read' folder?

-----------------------------

The topic 4000+ books somewhat reminded me on writing a CD-ROM, where you can have (depending on what format you burn your CD-ROM;Joliet,ISO...) upto 256 characters, 8 subdirs and couple of thousand files on the root.

I think every subdir supposed to display 1000 files accurately without trouble, but if you need a file in the middle of the dir, you'll probably spend more time scrolling and getting there, than actual reading.
So I don't know what you're really investigating here;maximum amount of books, or what is most comfortable to browse through?

If it would be from browsing point, I'd find it easiest to have 50 - 100 books per folder.

But if you really want to know how you will browse through your list the fastest, simply do the square root of all books you have on your device.
eg: 4.225 books? => do 65 books in 65 folders (or about).
400 books? => 20 books in 20 folders.

etc..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Ah, well, if you love animals, then you can call yourself anything you want. Reminds me of that SNL skit, a parody of the Smuckers ads. It was for a product called "Dead Baby Ducks" .... and you know, if it's called Dead Baby Ducks, it just HAS to be GOOD!!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #27
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Kind of like you would like there to be a button you press on your reader that would tell you 'move', and then show you which folder to move to (like eg: the 'read' folder?
Actually, that would be a great thing to have. I could keep all the Ninth Circuit stuff in one folder, Supreme Court cases in another.

Someday .... someday.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #28
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
What do you use to consolidate your books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The workaround I have used is to aggregate multiple books into one file. So rather than a book for each Sherlock Holmes story, for example, have one big file with a table of contents, pointing to each book. Doing this has let me have my 2000+ real books on a memory card, but because there are <300 ebook files, it is only about 5-10 minutes to rescan the card.
I know this is an old thread - but does anyone know what program to use to consolidate?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #29
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Having that many books loaded at once when you KNOW the hardware doesn't like it seems over indulgent in my opinion. I like the old adage "Quality over Quantity". I would rather peruse through a bookstore with 300 quality books than a bookstore with 10,000 mediocre ones. Same with cable, there are hundreds of channels and thousands of shows of which I only watch a choice few. To each his own.

-Laserjock-
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I know this is an old thread - but does anyone know what program to use to consolidate?
What format are you trying to put them in?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote