Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #106
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Is it possible to associate epub books to this reader ? (for instance starting it after selecting a book from a shelf, replacing the built-in one)
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #107
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
Is it possible to associate epub books to this reader ? (for instance starting it after selecting a book from a shelf, replacing the built-in one)
Should be possible through the plugin interface provided by nickel, but not trivial I'd say.

regarding the other posts: I am trying to commit back all mods to the original koreader (avoiding a fork for kobos), so I'll see what I can take from your mods
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #108
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
I've made a tiny change to the launcher startup script in /etc/init.d/ that may fix the issue of booting directly into koreader.

If someone who had that problem could try and report back, that would be helpful.
Until then: be careful.

Also, could it be that people who had that issue didn't have Sergey's launcher installed at that time? (Shouldn't be necessary, but if that were the common denominator, that would confirm my hypothesis of what's going on).
For me with KoboLauncher installed and your new script, it just reboots to the slow dancing squares.

Launching with the KoboLauncher still gives me the corrupted nonresponsive File Manager display.

I had a working KoReader with your first script, but I was stuck in it, maybe that was not so bad.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #109
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I had a working KoReader with your first script, but I was stuck in it, maybe that was not so bad.
Since sleep mode works with the cgm mods, it isn't so bad.

You can also slide the switch over for 60 seconds, and it should turn off. (Granted, I've had trouble a couple of times and had to use the reset hole.)

The way your Aura gets stuck while rebooting is weird. I wonder if your file system is becoming corrupted with hard resets/powerdowns.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #110
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
@Ken Maltby

Sorry to hear that. I don't really see how it could be causing that. It works fine here. But since I didn't get any other feedback, I've removed the launcher attachment, and just keep using it privately on my Glo.

Last edited by xor_; 07-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #111
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm999 View Post
Screenshots attached to show the landscape/frontlight and the debug_cmd
(when 2nd icon from left is pressed )
Thank you for your work, cgm999 (and all the others, who contribute) ! I really appreciate it!

So far switching the light on and suspend mode are working fine, but after installing the files of koreader-cgm, the landscape menu at the bottom of the page has not changed. No extra icons, no option to configure the frontlight.

I used the koreader-v2013.03-266-g4f36cd2.zip. Then I copied/replaced all files from koreader-cgm to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader as it says in the README.txt. Device is Aura with firmware 2.6.1b.

Any hint what I might have done wrong?
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #112
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
So far switching the light on and suspend mode are working fine, but after installing the files of koreader-cgm, the landscape menu at the bottom of the page has not changed. No extra icons, no option to configure the frontlight.

(...)

Any hint what I might have done wrong?
If you're having trouble accessing the bottom menu in landscape mode, I found that I have to tap the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Tapping in the middle of the screen advances the page. (At least in the PDF reader.)

If you're looking for the bug icon, I found it in the PDF reader but not the ePub reader.

I haven't found the backlight settings yet.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #113
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If you're looking for the bug icon, I found it in the PDF reader but not the ePub reader.

I haven't found the backlight settings yet.
Thank you so much! Now I know, the menu I was looking for is in the PDF reader, not the ePub reader. If I want to change the frontlight to another setting while reading an ePub, I just have to open a PDF file, open up the landscape menu by tapping in the lower left corner, adjust the light to my needs and then go back to the ePub reader.

You made my day
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #114
fred01
fred01 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Still no luck with cbz on koreader-v2013.03-266-g4f36cd2 under 2.6.1
I get this crash log:
Code:
lua config error: ./frontend/document/credocument.lua:75: calling 'zipContentExt' on bad self (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'zipContentExt'
	./frontend/document/credocument.lua:75: in function 'init'
	./frontend/document/document.lua:76: in function 'openDocument'
	./reader.lua:125: in function 'showReader'
	./reader.lua:174: in function 'onFileSelect'
	./frontend/ui/widget/filechooser.lua:56: in function 'onMenuSelect'
	./frontend/ui/widget/menu.lua:197: in function 'action'
	./frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:132: in function 'checkTasks'
	./frontend/ui/uimanager.lua:158: in function 'run'
	./reader.lua:248: in main chunk
How would i go about compiling koreader with the new toolchain? I installed the linaro arm hf toolchain but got stuck soon after. Can I get the trunk koreader to compile on the new architecture or does it need some major changes? Any pointer is appreciated.
fred01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #115
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Since sleep mode works with the cgm mods, it isn't so bad.

You can also slide the switch over for 60 seconds, and it should turn off. (Granted, I've had trouble a couple of times and had to use the reset hole.)

The way your Aura gets stuck while rebooting is weird. I wonder if your file system is becoming corrupted with hard resets/powerdowns.
With the new script I never get to KoReader it reboots to the Kobo UI but I wouldn't say it was stuck while rebooting.

(With the old XOR_ script):
It doesn't get stuck while rebooting, it reboots just fine - only it reboots to the KoReader File Manager not out of KoReader and back to the Kobo UI. This is not really a problem for me as I am coming to prefer the KoReader. It is much more the all purpose ebook reader and not a frontend for Google Analitics or Kobo marketing. The hardware is great and with KoReader the software is headed in a better direction and has some potential.

I find Kobo's Tile UI to be very attractive but totally annoying when I want to look through my collection for something to read. KoReader isn't very fancy looking but it is much more of the practical ereader. The Kobo readers have limited themselves to just the two most popular formats in Canada, while the KoReader can handle a goodly number right now and given the nature of its development will most likely be able to handle any others that obtain a following. For me that it can read the many .pdb (Palm/eReader) files that I have on hand is a big plus. For a Russian it might be .fb2. But the main thing that I find of use is the ability to have a truly large library of ebooks that I can look through.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #116
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
@Ken Maltby

Sorry to hear that. I don't really see how it could be causing that. It works fine here. But since I didn't get any other feedback, I've removed the launcher attachment, and just keep using it privately on my Glo.
Actually, I like your first script even though I had expected to be able to return to the Kobo UI. Personally, I would be very happy if all the database and Kobo server linkage were removed and I was left with KoReader and the Adobe Reader Mobile. I can certainly live without the tile interface, that whole approach is much better suited to a full color display.

So, thanks for this nice briar patch you threw me into.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #117
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Actually, I like your first script even though I had expected to be able to return to the Kobo UI.
There was a reproducible bug in the first version. It started the launcher2 program multiple times if the icon for the original launcher program wasn't found. I still don't understand how that would translate into auto-launching koreader on the Aura, though.

The second version seems to do exactly what it's supposed to on my Glo. It's hard to remote-debug something like that. Oh well...
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #118
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
There was a reproducible bug in the first version. It started the launcher2 program multiple times if the icon for the original launcher program wasn't found. I still don't understand how that would translate into auto-launching koreader on the Aura, though.

The second version seems to do exactly what it's supposed to on my Glo. It's hard to remote-debug something like that. Oh well...
This thought may be too linear for today's programming, but It puts me in mind of a cmd queue needing flushing. Something still waiting on return.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #119
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
This thought may be too linear for today's programming, but It puts me in mind of a cmd queue needing flushing. Something still waiting on return.
It would be interesting to find out if something like that is happening, because it would imply that nickle is saving its state somewhere along the way. I'm fairly certain that it is nickle though, since everything in the initialization scripts is very linear and doesn't appear to preserve any state or a command queue.

It'll probably be a non-issue when koreader is more robust anyhow, since it'll make sense to remove nickle from the works altogether. As you said, it supports more file formats. It supports organizing ebooks into directories, which a lot of people demand (and I prefer personally, no matter how much I think it would be a bad design decision for Kobo), and the PDF viewer is just plain better than Kobo's.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #120
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Another KoReader response to the users issues that are ignored by Kobo, Full Screen: and Landscape:

Luck;
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	081.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	107922   Click image for larger version

Name:	099.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	107924  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-08-2013 at 10:59 PM.