Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
apropos
apropos began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub to Kindle and page numbers

I am deciding between a Nook and a Kindle. Basically I like the Kindle device better, but I like Nook's e-books better (displays page numbers and uses the epub).
So what I'd like to know is, if I get a Kindle and convert epubs to Kindle's format on Calibre, will the Kindle display the page numbers in the epub file, or will it convert to using those damned "positions"?
apropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Both the page numbers and the Kindle positions are made up numbers based on counting bytes in a file. So, no they won't get preserved between ePub and Kindle.

In the case of ePub, it is possible to have the page numbers explicitly defined in the document. But this isn't common at present.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
apropos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Both the page numbers and the Kindle positions are made up numbers based on counting bytes in a file. So, no they won't get preserved between ePub and Kindle.

In the case of ePub, it is possible to have the page numbers explicitly defined in the document. But this isn't common at present.
I did comparisons on the Nook, and talked to the guys in the store, and for every book I checked, the page numbers on the Nook's epubs were identical to the page numbers in the corresponding book. I want that.
The only problem is when there are multiple versions of the book, there is no way of finding out which version the ebook is based on. But they seem to always correspond exactly to some physical copy of the book at least.

So what do these numbers translate to when converting to Kindle? Something arbitrary?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
I did comparisons on the Nook, and talked to the guys in the store, and for every book I checked, the page numbers on the Nook's epubs were identical to the page numbers in the corresponding book.
This is always the case for PDFs, but B&N sells ePubs. What titles were you looking at?

Quote:
So what do these numbers translate to when converting to Kindle? Something arbitrary?
They don't get translated at all.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I did comparisons on the Nook, and talked to the guys in the store, and for every book I checked, the page numbers on the Nook's epubs were identical to the page numbers in the corresponding book. I want that.
No, in devices which use ADE to display ePub files (which includes the nook, Sony, etc), ADE page numbers are a count of 1024 characters in the compressed file. They certainly don't have any correspondence whatsoever with page numbers in any particular printed edition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
apropos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is always the case for PDFs, but B&N sells ePubs. What titles were you looking at?

They don't get translated at all.

I looked at the bestsellers they had downloaded already. Bush's Decision Points, that Patterson book. Then I looked at Infinite Jest (I thought it might be a weird book to read on an e-reader). All in all I looked at probably 5. The guy at the store said the page numbers always correspond. So on the Nook, you might be on "page 6" for a few 'screen pages' depending on how big the font size is.

So the Kindle won't display anything relating to your progress through the book?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
apropos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, in devices which use ADE to display ePub files (which includes the nook, Sony, etc), ADE page numbers are a count of 1024 characters in the compressed file. They certainly don't have any correspondence whatsoever with page numbers in any particular printed edition.

Damn, so maybe I just got lucky when I looked through them. I'll have to go back and look in more detail. Thanks. If this is right, it changes everything.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Damn, so maybe I just got lucky when I looked through them.
As Harry says, Adobe uses a complicated algorithm that is approximately 1024 characters in the compressed file. So the actual number of bytes in a "page" varies but it is often more than one screen full of text. Also, a new chapter always starts a new page.

On the Kindle a location unit is 128 bytes, so divide by 10 or 20 to get something like an Adobe page.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
apropos

Thanks for the replies. This helps. I would have been really annoyed if I got the Nook and found out later the page numbers didnt correspond.

So if I get a Kindle, will there be a way to take DRMed Epub files downloaded from Google's new ebook store and get them on the Kindle? I imagine I'd have to strip the DRM. Is there a utility for that?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Apropos already said this but the point should be made again:
An epub can contain information that explicitly defines page numbers and overrides the default algorithm. Its purpose is exactly to allow the ebook version to match "pagination" with a particular print version. Some publishers may implement this.

The format used on the Kindle does not have this capacity, so the page map in an epub will not be reflected in an azw or mobi file.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
So if I get a Kindle, will there be a way to take DRMed Epub files downloaded from Google's new ebook store and get them on the Kindle? I imagine I'd have to strip the DRM. Is there a utility for that?
The latest long thread on this is: Is it easy to remove DRM protection? The short answer is see Apprentice Alf's Blog for tools_v2.3 which contains Calibre plug-ins.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
apropos

Just for anyone who might search for this later and won't know if the page numbers in the Nook correspond to the physical book:

They don't.

I went back to B&N, and looked again. The numbers might correspond on some books at the very beginning, but as you go along, the differences, of course, get much greater.
When I went the first time, I only did it very quickly because the rep there was seemingly very certain that they always correspond exactly.