Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #31
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
While I do understand the one device. There is no way in the "mange your kindle" section that allows for any other device but a physical kindle. I will be calling amazon today to verify.
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Glad to see I was wrong about this. I do wonder why anyone would now buy a book from Apple given that with the Kindle app you can read on multiple devices.
Count me in as one who won't be buying from Apple. And what is that other device I want to read on? My iPhone. It's really odd that Apple is supporting it's books only on the iPad and not also the iPhone/iPod Touch.

What really sux is that the kindle app is not the app I want to use on either device.

For now I guess I'm sticking to reading on my iphone with Stanza.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #33
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2photo View Post
While I do understand the one device. There is no way in the "mange your kindle" section that allows for any other device but a physical kindle. I will be calling amazon today to verify.
I know from using the Kindle app on the Touch that you can't transfer your subscriptions to it. I don't know for sure if it's an Amazon or an Apple decision but I suspect that subscriptions would compete with existing Apple apps so book purchases but not subscriptions are allowed.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
d2photo

Amazon's official response

"Hello,

Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, blogs, and personal documents can currently only be delivered to a Kindle and cannot be viewed on Kindle for iPad. However, most books available for reading on Amazon Kindle can also be read on Kindle for iPad.

I'll let the Kindle team know that you're interested in the ability to receive subscriptions on your Kindle for iPad. They're always looking for ways to improve our Kindle offerings and may be able to make this feature available in the future.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?
"

Nope
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
It's simply far far beyond a device like the Kindle DX.
My daughter's netbook is simply far far beyond a device like the iPad, but for reading I would sooner use the Kindle DX then either my daughter's netbook or the iPad.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #36
d2photo

Different devices for different uses..

Everybody has the machine of their choice. I have my MacBook that I use for most everything while traveling but the iPad allows me to haul it around the house and do much more.

My setup at the house is I have a mini mac hooked up to our big screen and am able to control it through the iPad and iPhone to launch apps (hulu desktop, Front Row, Plex and general browsing without a keyboard/mouse or looking for that damned little white remote (2 yr old in house).
I can check my server and windows machines and other macs in the house remotely from the pad as well.

It is not just an e-reader to me.. I am typing this on the couch from the reader now. The biggest bonus I have noticed is the battery life. This is where it is putting the laptops to shame. So far the longest run I have obtained is 11 hours with multiple movies and constant internet use.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2photo View Post
It is not just an e-reader to me.. I am typing this on the couch from the reader now. The biggest bonus I have noticed is the battery life. This is where it is putting the laptops to shame. So far the longest run I have obtained is 11 hours with multiple movies and constant internet use.
My daughter's netbook is one of those 10+ hour netbooks. Extended battery life is a must. If I had the extra cash I would definitely pick up a iPad it looks like great fun.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #38
snarkler
snarkler began at the beginning.

Device: reb 1200
How do you get non-drm titles not purchased from Amazon on the IPad?
snarkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #39
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkler View Post
How do you get non-drm titles not purchased from Amazon on the IPad?
if its an epub file drag it straight onto iTunes on your desktop and sync with iPad

if its not epub use calibre to convert to epub and then drop onto iTunes.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #40
d2photo

Calibre = conversion savior

I have converted a TON of mobi files to epub. All have transferred fully readable with no issues. There have been some titles I have had to find replacement covers for but thats about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #41
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Accordéon for iPad live demo

I will not buy iPad to read ebooks but I may buy it to play accordion
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #42
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the main reason for the desire of the Kindle app is for existing Kindle owners that want a larger format device and still retain the ability to access their Kindle ebooks. Frankly I have not bought any reference or programming Kindle books... but with Kindle for PC and iPad available I am much more likely to.

BOb
I'll be getting an iPad as soon as G3 is available, and I read a lot of history: the illustrations are a real problem on the Kindle. So I usually buy history books hardback. I will be looking to see if the iPad solves my problem about viewing photos of Czar Nicholas II and sugarcane cutting in Barbadoes. If so......a bigger market for ebooks just opened up.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #43
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Hm... "Yes, we will allow bookstore apps on the iPad"

Oh, logic, nm.
They have to allow the Kindle app. We are their market! Kindle users are Early Adopters cubed, right? And a whoooooole lot of us are interested in the iPad like we're interested in all Great Next Things. It has to all be fungible or they would alienate us.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #44
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Phebe, if I saw logic in the way Apple have handled the app approval process I'd agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't (There's no conspiracy, it's a series of screwups, of course).
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #45
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
At the moment, I wouldn't, but I'd rather buy an ePub from Apple that I can rip the DRM from than an inferior Mobipocket file from Amazon.
Has apple's drm been broken as the epubs they are selling aren't using the same drm system as other epubs?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote