Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
v0.5 preview

I have been able to create a KF8 mobi with an embedded font (attached). It renders correctly on my Kindle:
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoomed screen_shot-37628.gif
Views:	687
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	101799

But when attempting to embed the same font in my dictionary I have the following warning
Code:
 Amazon kindlegen(Windows) V2.8 build 0208-797bf75 
 A command line e-book compiler 
 Copyright Amazon.com and its Affiliates 2013 
Info:I9007:option: -c2: Kindle Huffdic compression
Info:I9014:option: -verbose: Verbose output
Warning(parser8):W26001: Index not supported for enhanced mobi.
Info(parser8):I12001: Enhanced mobi generation suppressed.
Info(prcgen):I1041: The file format version is V7
Info(prcgen):I1031: Saving PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1032: PRC built successfully
Info(prcgen):I1036: Mobi file built successfully
Apparently, when Kindlegen detects indexing --the essence of dictionaries-- it downgrades to KF7 file format. I have seen similar reports in the Mobi/Prc Books forum.

Is there a way to bypass this problem? My future v0.5 dictionary needs this font to properly render Klingon translations!

BTW When opening the KF7 document with the (unreliable) Kindle Previewer, characters are correctly rendered using the embedded font:
Spoiler:

Name:	Kindle Previewer.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	101801
But the Kindle physical device refuses to use the font because the book's file format is not KF8.

Last edited by PoP; 02-26-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Removed attachment. Grab the latest Klingon.mobi from first post.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
There has to be! This is not a good day to die!

hehehehe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_212.png
Views:	1338
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	101806  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
font embedding

I had similar problems, can't remember all the details. Things to try are mobigen (not calibre like I just typed.) ... are you sure you need kf8 for fonts?

Anyway, I punted and put my font in /mnt/us/fonts and set ENABLE_ALT_FONT(s), and went on with my life.

My font was in extended unicode, so getting it to show up on the kindle involved many, many possible points of failure.

Last edited by shakaote; 02-23-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: brain lapse
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakaote View Post
I had similar problems, can't remember all the details. Things to try are mobigen (not calibre like I just typed.) ... are you sure you need kf8 for fonts?

Anyway, I punted and put my font in /mnt/us/fonts and set ENABLE_ALT_FONT(s), and went on with my life.

My font was in extended unicode, so getting it to show up on the kindle involved many, many possible points of failure.
Sure, Mobigen produces a KF6 mobi with no error:
Code:
* Mobipocket mobigen.exe V6.2 build 43  *
* A command line e-book compiler        *
* Copyright Mobipocket.com 2003-2008    *

opt compression: Mobipocket huffdic compression
opt verbose: verbose output
opt version: try to minimize (default)
Info(prcgen): Final stats - text compressed to (in % of original size):  015.60%
Info(prcgen): The document identifier is: "NADSAT_chell-ictionary_v0.5"
Info(prcgen): The file format version is V6
Info(prcgen): Saving MOBI file
Info(prcgen): MOBI File successfully generated!
But the device still ignores the embedded font:
Spoiler:

Name:	Kindle Keyboard v6 screen_shot-37636.gif
Views:	858
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	101824
I think that KF8 is the minimum trigger (though I am not sure of anything).

I agree that if all users of my dictionary had installed a Unicode font supporting these glyphs, there would be no need for embedding. That is the point : to prevent forcing new font installation.

Thanks for your much appreciated suggestions.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
Oh... I totally get it. Packing the Klingon font in the book is the way it ought to be. I'm just sayin'...

I'm not sure what the spoiler picture is demonstrating...

BTW, I have a touch 5.3.2. Your klingon.mobi does have Klingon glyphs in it. But it doesn't always work right; lots of Klingon show up, but the rest is stacked Tibetan characters (which, at 2am, seems half funny, half profound).

And that might be the problem. Klingon lives in the private use area of Unicode, and so does everyone else's great idea for a glyph. Tibetan has it's own range, so the fact that Tibetan stacking characters show up instead of Klingon suggests to me, anyway, that the Tibetan font put pre-composed stacked characters in the private use range, for, well, private use. I've also seen little-used Chinese characters showing up in the private use area until I set the font to what I put in /mnt/us/fonts, and they're from one of the stock CJK fonts. So maybe your Klingon is just getting stepped on (poor Klingon).

Hard to be sure without more tinkering. Do you have fonts in /mnt/us/fonts? It might also need 5.3.2. ?.

Annoying, but possible approaches, would be remapping your Klingon font to a range not used in stock kindles (maybe to Tibetan? Klingons would like that.), replacing the Klingon with html entities just to see if they survive through mobi/kindle gen better.

Good Luck! Kaplagh, or whatever!
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Klingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Is there a way to bypass this problem? My future v0.5 dictionary needs this font to properly render Klingon translations!
If you really want to generate a Kingon dictionary for the Kindle, you're in luck. Thanks to the code2000.ttf fallback font, eInk Kindles support most Klingon glyphs (and glyphs for most Tolkien conlangs) out of the box.

However, they're encoded in the Private Use Area (F8D0 - F8FF) and both books and dictionary obviously would need to use the same encoding.

(The source files are embedded in the .mobi file; use 7Zip to extract them.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	code2000_Klingon.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	101843  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi klingon.mobi (27.2 KB, 423 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you really want to generate a Kingon dictionary for the Kindle, you're in luck. Thanks to the code2000.ttf fallback font, eInk Kindles support most Klingon glyphs (and glyphs for most Tolkien conlangs) out of the box.

However, they're encoded in the Private Use Area (F8D0 - F8FF) and both books and dictionary obviously would need to use the same encoding.

Highly impressive knowledge. : ) Joyous
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
PoP

Quote:

Exactly Doitsu! How about that : I previously went to the trouble of embedding my font for nothing. Just by luck the klingon glyphs are already present in the fallback builtin font and since I am already using the U+F8D0 to U+F8FF encoding, once I remove my embedded font everything is still rendered perfectly for that "ordinary" book.

But my original problem remains, it is within a "dictionary" that I want to display these glyphs. And I think that unless I can produce a KF8 dictionary (Kindlegen seeing indexing only creates a KF7 mobi) the fallback font is not used. See Chelloveck :
On Kindle Keyboard 3.4 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Keyboard screen_shot-37636.gif
Views:	939
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	101863 vs Kindle Previewer Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Previewer.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	101862

BTW DiapDealer post in the crossed referenced forum may force me to only use latin transliterations. HIQaH! QaH!

Work in progress dictionary:
Attached Files
File Type: mobi nadsat.mobi (240.5 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by PoP; 02-24-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: cross reference the other forum
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had a look at the source files and noticed some syntax errors in the .opf file.
After commenting out the .ncx, script and font sections, it seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chelloveck.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	101885  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi nadsat.mobi (209.4 KB, 479 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
twobob

I, for one, thank you both.

Qapla

EDIT: showing that it works in all FONT STYLE TYPES
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_225.png
Views:	603
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	101890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_226.png
Views:	583
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	101891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_228.png
Views:	548
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	101893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_227.png
Views:	573
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	101894  

Last edited by twobob; 02-24-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
PoP

Quote:
I had a look at the source files and noticed some syntax errors in the .opf file.
After commenting out the .ncx, script and font sections, it seems to work.
Fantastic Mobi Master. I will study the corrections and will do-it-so.

Initialy your .mobi gave me the same problem. But then, I removed the (Droid) font hack I had installed and everything started to work fine after. Also, my original .mobi (the one with the syntax errors) now works fine too!

Looks like the builtin fallback font is possibly overridden by the fonthack.

Again thank you very much for the big help.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakaote View Post
Do you have fonts in /mnt/us/fonts?
Good Luck! Kaplagh, or whatever!
Turns out the stock fonts contains the klingon glyphs as Doitsu demonstrated. No need to embed that font in the dictionary. But your question triggered the other half of the solution. I had the Droid font hacked installed. Once removed the klingon glyphs are rendered properly.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
PoP

v0.5

Done

Change license from MIT to Creative Commons. I like the sexier notice.

Added Klingon translation (for a single word)! I used both Klingon glyphs and latin transliteration. I hope it will entice aliens to translate all the other words.

Grab the update from the first post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #29
twobob

LOL... not sure how I managed it.. but... when I downloaded the klingon.mobi I must have had two copies...

so it became:
/home/me/Downloads/Klingon (2).mobi

I threw it onto the KINDLE TOUCH device via SSH AND IT REBOOTED!!! HAHAHAH! perhaps it was the mangled name ??

anyways. no harm done. seems to be fine now. just thought I would share.

(oh the image looks a bit small on the touch) [picture 1]

looks really nice on the 3 [picture 2]
Great work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_232.png
Views:	534
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	101931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_233.png
Views:	580
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	101932  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #30
PoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
(oh the image looks a bit small on the touch)
Grab my Klingon v0.2 mobi from a spoiler in the first post.

I changed the aspect ratio of the cover (matching your's KUAL). Does the cover view look better aligned now?

I also fixed the html table size, and had fun with embedding fonts (thanks Doitsu).

Last edited by PoP; 02-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.