Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Frenko
Frenko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy Bricked kindle 3: rootfs files needed (mmcblk0p1.dmp)

Hi Everybody,

Today I got it certified by Amazon's customer service: I bricked my Kindle.

I was trying to install Duokan, something went wrong and the device froze, then after a reset the screen went completely blank (and so it remained ever since)... the green light when you slide the power switch is the only sign of life of my poor kindle now

I think that some file in rootfs got corrupted hence I'm looking for someone to send me an image of the rootfs of a working Kindle 3 wifi to try and repair it. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

f

P.S.
Unfortunately I'm still waiting for a serial/usb adapter so I cannot access my device as for now.
Frenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenko View Post
Hi Everybody,

Today I got it certified by Amazon's customer service: I bricked my Kindle.

I was trying to install Duokan, something went wrong and the device froze, then after a reset the screen went completely blank (and so it remained ever since)... the green light when you slide the power switch is the only sign of life of my poor kindle now
Sorry to hear that

which version of duokan? is it Lite1022.1452.rtm?
I don't know if it's possible for you but they offer a free repair service for this kind of situations. you may contact with them via kindleuser@duokan.com .

may help also: http://translate.google.com/translat...42347-1-1.html
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenko View Post
I think that some file in rootfs got corrupted hence I'm looking for someone to send me an image of the rootfs of a working Kindle 3 wifi to try and repair it. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Are you tried cold restart? (Holding power switch for 25+sec)
Which firmware version you have and which Kindle model?
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I can send you an image of 3.1 .
However, I've made few modifications (installed few hacks, disabled auto-update,...).
I can also send you a zip file containing necessary user store contents needed by some of the installed hacks.

Next time consider installing Yifanlu's custom kernel, that is able to export rootfs partition from recovery menu.

EDIT: I have Kindle 3G, don't know if that makes the firmware any different.

Last edited by dsmid; 10-26-2011 at 02:33 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Frenko
Frenko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for your answers guys

@everybody: I've already got hold of an image and I'll try it as soon as I have the serial adapter w/ custom serial connector.

To build a serial adapter I'll use a FTDI chip TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE cable connected according to the attached image (credits to: @blkhawk for the original image and the custom connector schematics and DaveJones@EEVblog for pin order — I know: the wires are on the wrong side ). Any correction or advice would be greatly appreciated

I'll visit some electronics shop in the next days to see if they can help me with the etching/soldering part.

@thomass: Thank you. It was the last non-lite version I think. As for the repair service I called Amazon and it seemed they would replace my Kindle for free, as I understand it they wouldn't even bother to check what's in the device... I'm not 100% sure though. So if I can't solve it myself I'll probably just send it back to Amazon.
Anyway I would rather have access to the device via the serial port rather than having it repaired for free... 'cause I'd like to keep experimenting with it

@SirAlex: Yes I tried that. At first the screen froze (on Duokan's start screen: the one with the progress bar), after holding the power switch for some time the green led blinked then the screen went blank.
I have a Kindle 3 wifi, not sure about the firmware version I THINK it's 3.1 but since the usb connection doesn't work anymore — and I still don't have a serial/usb cable (nor the custom connector... and that is what concerns me the most) — I can't check it right now. Also thank you for the KDT

@dsmid: I don't think a 3G firmware would work, but thank you anyway. I would most definitely install Yifanlu's custom kernel!

Cheers,
f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3-adapter.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	78172  

Last edited by Frenko; 10-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Frenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bricked, kindle3, mmcblk0p1.dmp, rootfs