Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I'm leaving... thank you all!

I've just bought a Kobo Glo. The fact that Amazon has sealed tight their PW with the latest upgrade and made hacking it even more difficult was the final straw... I'd like to say thanks to everyone here, especially to ixtab, NiLuJe and yifanlu, who made the Kindle the device it should have been all along.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I've just bought a Kobo Glo. The fact that Amazon has sealed tight their PW with the latest upgrade and made hacking it even more difficult was the final straw... I'd like to say thanks to everyone here, especially to ixtab, NiLuJe and yifanlu, who made the Kindle the device it should have been all along.
Fair winds for your journey!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. The PW seems just fine the way it is to me. I bought it to read books on.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. However, I hope you enjoy your Kobo bartveld.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've just bought a Kobo Glo.
It's certainly got a better name than Paperwhite.

Read and be well. Or...be well beaten.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Enjoy your Kobo Glo.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Raye
Raye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enoughRaye will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm new to Kindle and I love its sells platform. I could covert books and comics into it even it did not hacked. It would be nice if the device could be hacked but it is not a must.

Therefore it is a contest between hardware. Hope to see your review on Kobo Glo.
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I've just bought a Kobo Glo. The fact that Amazon has sealed tight their PW with the latest upgrade and made hacking it even more difficult was the final straw...
I didn't know that. What exactly have they done. I wouldn't mind a Nook Glo (or whatever they call it). It seems it is the hacking e-reader of choice.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I didn't know that. What exactly have they done.
If you update your jailbroken PW to 5.3.0, it wipes your jailbreak and homebrew apps unless you install the latest jailbreak before updating to 5.3.0, and if you're already on 5.3.0 and not already jailbroken, the current jailbreak methods don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I wouldn't mind a Nook Glo (or whatever they call it). It seems it is the hacking e-reader of choice.
The Nooks are definitely the best e-ink readers to hack since they run Android, which opens them up to the entire Android app world, including third party reader apps and stores. Unfortunately, the lighting is worse than the PW, so it's a trade-off.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
If you update your jailbroken PW to 5.3.0, it wipes your jailbreak and homebrew apps unless you install the latest jailbreak before updating to 5.3.0, and if you're already on 5.3.0 and not already jailbroken, the current jailbreak methods don't work.
Is Amazon intentionally attempting to lock down the device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
The Nooks are definitely the best e-ink readers to hack since they run Android, which opens them up to the entire Android app world, including third party reader apps and stores. Unfortunately, the lighting is worse than the PW, so it's a trade-off.
The new Sonys are Androids too. But I got the impression that Nooks are preferred for hacking. Check this out:
Quake 3 on a Nook
I don't know if you could do that on a Sony. Maybe the rooted Nook is more stable than the Sony.

Anyway, sorry to hear the new Kindle is more locked-down. Hopefully the developers will get round it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Kindle 3 (Keyboard) was "locked down" for quite a while as well, if I remember correctly. Then it wasn't anymore.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Have you tried using your Kindle for reading instead of just hacking? It is actually very good at it's primary function. You (the OP) didn't even say why you wanted to hack it. What features did you feel that the PW lacked? And did you buy the Glo because it had those features or you were only interested in hacking devices and not that much in using them?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Have you tried using your Kindle for reading instead of just hacking?
Community developers improve the functionality of devices where the manufacturers fall short. Sure, I don't want to play quake 3 on my ereader, but I do want an improved UI, better formatting, more readable formats (epub for Kindle, for example), etc. All these things are made possible by community developers.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love to tinker, and have hacked just about everything I can (with varying results). But it never occurred to me to do anything with my Kindles except read.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Wouldn't someone eventually find a way to jailbreak PWs again?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote