Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Change file name during conversion?

Is there any way to have a user selected name for htlm files during a conversion to epub.

Where does Calibre get its file name. Is it some place in the meta data that the user can modify?

Thanks -John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Is there any way to have a user selected name for htlm files during a conversion to epub.

Where does Calibre get its file name. Is it some place in the meta data that the user can modify?

Thanks -John
You did read this sticky? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 it applies if you use the GUI.

You might be able to use the command line interface which is tedious, but allows converted files to NOT be stored in the Library.

Send to Device and Save to disk can use Metadata to set a file name and path when saving ELSWHERE.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Ducks-

What I'm asking about are the html file names as seen in the sigil book browser.

The book browser would show something like this:
How_High_Browse_Thou_Brown_Cow_split_000.html

I would like it to show:
Cow_split_000.html

The reason is so that I can keep the book browser to a reasonable width and see the number portion of the file name. It makes it easier to to build a TOC from scratch. (the chapter number is the file number plus X)

I am not trying to make any structural change or in any way modify how Calibre maintains its files.

As the bard said: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

Regards - John
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Ducks-

What I'm asking about are the html file names as seen in the sigil book browser.

The book browser would show something like this:
How_High_Browse_Thou_Brown_Cow_split_000.html

I would like it to show:
Cow_split_000.html

The reason is so that I can keep the book browser to a reasonable width and see the number portion of the file name. It makes it easier to to build a TOC from scratch. (the chapter number is the file number plus X)

I am not trying to make any structural change or in any way modify how Calibre maintains its files.

As the bard said: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

Regards - John
Gotcha! Some of those can get obnoxiously long
Calibre just tacks on the splitxxxx part. (I don't see a reason to even keep a base name as the book is normally kept ordered and assembled)

Sigil book browser does have a bottom scroll bar (when needed).
I run Sigil on a multi-head system, so I have the Browser detached on another screen, so wide is not a problem for me. Normally.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sigil book browser does have a bottom scroll bar (when needed).
Aren't you running Ubuntu? I'm running Widows 7 and don't have a horizontal scroll bars. If I had it would probably solve my problem.

Maybe someone here will tell me where I can find the data that Calibre uses to form the file name and tell me how it can be edited.

Regards - John
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Aren't you running Ubuntu? I'm running Widows 7 and don't have a horizontal scroll bars. If I had it would probably solve my problem.

Maybe someone here will tell me where I can find the data that Calibre uses to form the file name and tell me how it can be edited.

Regards - John
90% of my Sigil use is on XP.
Scroll bars only appear when needed (Might be part of detaching the browser. Try that.) There is only a vertical scroll.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I think it is something you should raise as a request in the Sigil forum, as it is really a Sigil thing to solve. Even if you changed the calibre code, you shouldn't have to reconvert a book in Calibre just to shorten file names for editing in Sigil.

Certainly it has crossed my mind many times as being a desirable Sigil feature. If they don't add it themselves then I figured when they eventually get to implementing plugin support for Sigil it would be a candidate, a "Bulk Rename" feature basically.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
I don't know the answer to this but I have a workround that I use whenever calibre generates these long 'split'-type filenames:

(1) Explode the book using Tweak ePub.
(2) Rename all the 'split' files as required.
(3) Update the corresponding reference/s in the book's OPF and NCX files.
(4) Rebuild the ePub.

You can do (2) and (3) manually, (=slow) or you could script it, (e.g. using VBScript).
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Agama - you have missed something in step 3, of making sure that any other links within the html files are updated with the renamed files - such as an inline TOC or links to footnote pages etc.

That is the problem with trying to do this manually, you will inevitably miss something. Better to have it automated via a tool.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I think it is something you should raise as a request in the Sigil forum, as it is really a Sigil thing to solve. Even if you changed the calibre code, you shouldn't have to reconvert a book in Calibre just to shorten file names for editing in Sigil.

Certainly it has crossed my mind many times as being a desirable Sigil feature. If they don't add it themselves then I figured when they eventually get to implementing plugin support for Sigil it would be a candidate, a "Bulk Rename" feature basically.
Since I always have to convert from source to epub, I thought that since Calibre got the name from someplace (that I can't find), it would be an easy matter to let the user supply the name. In any case, a reconvert is preferable to the alternative

Plugins are on the Sigil docket - just don;t know when. And then, of course, someone has to write the plugin. So. I guess for the time being it's manual city for me. Tedious for sure.

Regards - John
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Agama - you have missed something in step 3, of making sure that any other links within the html files are updated with the renamed files - such as an inline TOC or links to footnote pages etc.

That is the problem with trying to do this manually, you will inevitably miss something. Better to have it automated via a tool.
Thanks, that's a very good point. I have been using large text files without links and no inline TOC, so this has never been an issue.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote