Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
heidismiles
heidismiles began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is a Stanza thing-it tends to override fonts with its settings.
I managed to use the <tt> tag to get Stanza to show typewriter style text...but I did that thru direct editing in Sigil-might work with your conversion though!
I'll try that, thanks so much!
heidismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #17
XanthanGum
Connoisseur
XanthanGum began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-500
Unable to enter CSS code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
In the Ebook Viewer application, click on the Hammer icon (Preferences), then put the code in the "User stylesheet" edit box and click OK. Have an ebook open in the viewer for the full effect, before and after.
ekaser,

I tried entering the suggested code from above by viewing one of my books (Nature news) but...the window that opens up when I click on the hammer icon (for Configure) displays only two options:

Use white background and Hyphenate.

There is a box displayed but I'm unable to enter any code there. I only have the options of clicking on OK and Cancel(ing).

Am I doing something wrong?

XG
XanthanGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
PsyWiped
PsyWiped began at the beginning.

Device: android
anyone know how to get facing pages?
PsyWiped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Sony Reader
Sony Reader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I'm still attempting to play with recipes and struggling. If I get something like this in the viewer,

<div id="page" class="sub"> <div id="header"> <div class="menu"><ul class="menu"><li class="menu-361 first"><a href="/" title="">Home</a></li> <li class="menu-703 active-trail active"><a href="/category/article-categories/cyprus" title="" class="active">

then is it a style sheet problem.
Sony Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
frandav
frandav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy SII
It's been impossible for me to find the box in the preferences dialog to add the styles. I've searched and searched but, no way. Where is it? General, Interface, Conversion....?

Thanks
frandav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its in the prefernces for the viewer (in the viewer itself) not in general preferences. Click the ammer icon in the viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #22
frandav
frandav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy SII
OK. Thanks for your help.
frandav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
FlooseMan Dave
FlooseMan Dave began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5 32GB/Android - Aldiko
A rookie question. I have come across some eBooks that are in straight HTML and the formatting is rather primitive. In order to get them into an ePub format I have made modifications using a stylesheet in the HTML. When I use Calibre to convert from HTML to ePub, I find that all my H1 and H2 headings are formatted into separate files inside the ePub container. If my chapter heading has, say, two lines - one formatted in H1 and the other in H2 - the result is the chapter heading broken up into separate pages when Calibre displays it. What I am after is both lines of each chapter heading as well as the text of the chapter itself displaying on the same ePub 'page'. My concern is that when I send the book to my reader (an Archos 5 32GB Android running the Aldiko eReader) I'm going to have the same issue I'm having in Calibre. For the book in question I am looking at, there are 39 separate HTML documents in the ePub container. There are only 17 chapters and a TOC. I would think I should only see at most 18 or 19 separate files, not 39 of them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

A rank amateur would like to know. Thanks ahead of time for the he'p! )
FlooseMan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #24
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlooseMan Dave View Post
A rookie question. I have come across some eBooks that are in straight HTML and the formatting is rather primitive. In order to get them into an ePub format I have made modifications using a stylesheet in the HTML. When I use Calibre to convert from HTML to ePub, I find that all my H1 and H2 headings are formatted into separate files inside the ePub container. If my chapter heading has, say, two lines - one formatted in H1 and the other in H2 - the result is the chapter heading broken up into separate pages when Calibre displays it. What I am after is both lines of each chapter heading as well as the text of the chapter itself displaying on the same ePub 'page'. My concern is that when I send the book to my reader (an Archos 5 32GB Android running the Aldiko eReader) I'm going to have the same issue I'm having in Calibre. For the book in question I am looking at, there are 39 separate HTML documents in the ePub container. There are only 17 chapters and a TOC. I would think I should only see at most 18 or 19 separate files, not 39 of them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

A rank amateur would like to know. Thanks ahead of time for the he'p! )
I'm probably not the best person to help, but I wouldn't worry about the number of files inside or the contents of the epub, only about the appearance. If you are seeing too many chapters, read the help text of the --chapter-regex and --chapter-attr options (by mousing over them in the GUI) in the Preferences|Conversion|Structure Detection page to see how it detects chapters.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the number of files inside or the contents of the epub, only about the appearance.
I concur with Starson17. You can always try to edit your epub using Sigil. The creator of Sigil is active in this forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #26
marcot
marcot began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Calibre seems to strip away styles applied to most HTML tags (including the HTML 'a' tag, which is especially frustrating in my case--I want to style navigation bar links) when using extra css (under the "look and feel of output" tab of the GUI, or the --EXTRA-CSS switch on the command line).

Is there a workaround?
marcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre does not strip away styles, it consolidates them into a single stylesheet.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #28
marcot

If I add the following "extra css," the stylesheet that Calibre generates does not include the style.

Quote:
a:link {
color: black;
}
a:visited {
color: white;
}
This seems to be the case, even if I am specifically overriding my target tag (e.g., "* div.calibrenavbar a:visited"). Could there be a glitch in the CSS parser, or is there one in my brain?

Last edited by marcot; 06-23-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The calibre css parser does not supported pseudo selectors.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #30
marcot

After some testing, my problem has become that I cannot apply any style to the calibrenavbar class. The CSS parser seems to ignore the following "extra-css" code when applied to the navbar, whether or not it includes pseudo selectors:

Quote:
.calibrenavbar1 {
display: none;
}
Is there a Calibre bug that needs a ticket, or is there a bug in my wetware, as I'm starting to believe?