Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
AceHarddrive
Enthusiast
AceHarddrive began at the beginning.

Device: Tapwave Zodiac 2
Cool "Secure" PDF and "Secure" Mobi docs?

Hello all!

Seriously considering investing in an Iliad in the near future and would like to know if you can read "Secure" (aka encrypted) PDF and Mobipocket documents? I've tried to load "Secure" PDF's into my Tapwave Zodiac 2, but it just won't do it. Will the Iliad handle "Secure" (encrypted) files or are they only to be read on the PC?

~Tim ^_^
AceHarddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It depends on the way they are "secured", most password protected PDF's should open on the iLiad without a problem. Any other type of DRM will probably not work.

What operating system do you run? If it's Mac or Linux, try to open it in a PDF viewer other than Acrobat. If it opens in there, it'll probably open on the iLiad.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Protected mobipocket shouldn't be a problem. (after all, the iLiad has official support)
pass protected pdfs are supported.
Restricted pdfs could be tricky. (there are many levels of restrictions)
If you have a "flexible" interpretation of fair use I suppose you could go ahead and one of the many apps that remove such restrictions.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
PDFs that are simply locked down (ex: printing prohibited) should work.

All the "secured" PDFs that I have encountered require that you have
1. Adobe Acrobat to read it.
2. An OS that supports DRM (like Windows and not Linux).
3. An active Internet connection.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Jennifer-Botham
Jennifer-Botham began at the beginning.

Device: no
I don't know. It would be nice if Bookeen could work with eReader to open secure eReader palmdoc pdb ebooks, but we'll have to wait until Bookeen lets us know one way or the other. For now, let us presume you will be able to open unencrypted/unsecure PDFs and Palmdoc files
Jennifer-Botham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From what I hear Mobipocket license agreement forbids having support for other DRM formats besides Mobi.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I can read both DRMed MOBI and PDB on my Palm since I have both MobiReader and eReader installed on it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I guess I should have added "on dedicated readers". I've heard such things said about the lack of other DRM formats on iLiad and Cybook (and now lBook).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket won't license the MOBI format to a 3rd party unless they get exclusivity (no other ebook DRM support). In theory, this does not prevent someone from downloading reader software for an alternative format, but at present there are no suitable alternative down loadable readers for E-Ink devices. For Linux, Adobe Digital Editions may be the first candidate (not likely to run on existing E-Ink devices without vendor support though). I think eReader, for example, could easily gain market share by releasing a Linux reader targeting Nokia Internet tablets, the iLiad, Linux Desktops and MIDs. There may be down loadable reader options for WinCE based devices such as the Astak Mentor, although (at least initially) they are likely to be older (WinCE 3.0) versions of the software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
If you have a "flexible" interpretation of fair use I suppose you could go ahead and one of the many apps that remove such restrictions.
You can't remove the deep DRM (at least from Adobe 6 or higher - for Adobe 5 you could use the Advanced eBook Processor).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote