Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Nooklibrary - scanning folders: what speed?

Just loaded tons of ebooks to my nook (about 12 gigs worth; mostly pdf files). When I now go into my books (0.0.5 - I want to wait with the 0.0.6 until the pdf-bug has been fixed), it says""Scanning folders - please wait". Is the app now indexing my pdf-files? And if so, how long does this take (I had my nook on - tethered - for about 14 hours non-stop)? And if you cancel, does it start again from scratch or continue where it left off? Thanks for any pointers.

-Stephan
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspieg View Post
Just loaded tons of ebooks to my nook (about 12 gigs worth; mostly pdf files). When I now go into my books (0.0.5 - I want to wait with the 0.0.6 until the pdf-bug has been fixed), it says""Scanning folders - please wait". Is the app now indexing my pdf-files? And if so, how long does this take (I had my nook on - tethered - for about 14 hours non-stop)? And if you cancel, does it start again from scratch or continue where it left off? Thanks for any pointers.

-Stephan
I've got about 600 sideloaded PDFs, ePUBS and PDBs. It takes about 5 minutes. Sometimes I "intervene", by using the menu ("n").
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Hi,
That seems to be too slow. I have ~100 books mostly epubs and it takes only 3-4 secs.
Can you do a scan and send me the logcat output? I'm planning to optimize it and since it's very fast for me, I couldn't figure out where we spend most of the time in.
Also, can you compare the time between the my library app and my books app? They should be taking the same time.

Thanks,
Hari
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I just uploaded a new build for nookLibrary. This has additional caching logic for scanned books. This should make the scanning time a bit better.
Try it out & let me know.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
A few things:

1) My version is still listed as 0.0.6, but I have installed 0.0.7 ( I think )

2) Tag / Subject view is case sensitive. This is sort-of a pain, because not all subjects in epubs are set by me.

Suggestions:

1) Author and Subject view. Show only the Authors or Subjects in a view. When one is selected, filter view for that Author or Subject.

2) Popular tags. Tag sort would be a little simpler if tags that only appear once aren't shown (perhaps a setting to require X amount of times to show).

3) Support some calibre extensions, namely series.

Thanks for all you hard work making my nook more usable!
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
hharan
Connoisseur

Hi,
I don't think you have the correct version. delete the old apk files from the my packages folder and try again. It could be using a cached file.

Tag/subject sorting is fixed. This should ignore case now.
calibre series name/nbr is also included in this build.

You can decide which tags you want and put them in mybooks.xml file. These will be in the top of the Show menu, followed by other tags. You can also search for a tag. This change was included a couple of builds back.

Author and Subject view- Not sure what you mean here. Subject is same as tag right? it's in show menu already. You can search for an author name too.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
Hi,
I don't think you have the correct version. delete the old apk files from the my packages folder and try again. It could be using a cached file.
That was it.

Quote:
Tag/subject sorting is fixed. This should ignore case now.
Yep. Thanks!

Quote:
calibre series name/nbr is also included in this build.
This does not seem to be working for me. Example of xml from opf file:

Code:
<package unique-identifier="UUID" version="2.0" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
  <metadata xmlns:calibre="http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/2009/metadata" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
    <dc:identifier id="UUID" opf:scheme="UUID">F466C1F2-2FCB-11DF-962B-D82B4A13FCF3</dc:identifier>
    <dc:title>Endgame</dc:title>
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut">Kristine Smith</dc:creator>
    <dc:language>en-us</dc:language>
    <EmbeddedCover>coverimg</EmbeddedCover>
    <calibre:series>Jani Killian</calibre:series>
    <calibre:series_index>5</calibre:series_index>
Quote:
You can decide which tags you want and put them in mybooks.xml file. These will be in the top of the Show menu, followed by other tags. You can also search for a tag. This change was included a couple of builds back.
Ah. Found entry on FAQ here. This should work.

Quote:
Author and Subject view- Not sure what you mean here. Subject is same as tag right? it's in show menu already. You can search for an author name too.
Yes, I meant tag, but I wasn't clear or correct on what I asked for! What I would love to see would be for a list of authors, then select an author, and then get the equivalent of a search for that author's name. In other words, I want the equivalent of what happens with the Show > [ Tag Name ] for authors (so my request for you to do this for tags was already implemented and an oversight on my part).

Thank-you!

Last edited by riemann42; 03-14-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
hharan
Connoisseur

I'll check the code regarding the series stuff. I think I treated it as an attribute.
I checked in few of the epub series books I have and they all had the series info like this-

<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="2"/>
<meta name="calibre:series" content="series name"/>

Authors menu is a good idea. I'll add it to the list for next build.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
riemann42
Zealot

Thanks. I generate the opfs with my own code, so I'll change it to an attribute and regenerate the epubs and reupload to nook.

I checked your code and you do treat the calibre metadata tags as an attribute, and not as an attribute or content.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Does Nooklibrary scan "My Documents" folder in the second SD card?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Does Nooklibrary scan "My Documents" folder in the second SD card?
Yes. Actually it will scan all folders to pickup those supported ebooks.

You may know that with Nooklibrary, you have a chance to control which folder you don't want to be scanned, by just placing a file which name is ".skip" inside that folder. I use Windows notepad to create this file without any content inside (and no file extension). I usually backup all my old weekly news feeds on one folder in the 2nd sdcard and also place this .skip file. It's quite a handy way for backup my ebooks as well.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Reader2
intentionally left blank
Reader2 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (display damage) so 2nd: Nook still working; Sony hardly used;
Hi,
NookLibrary seems to support more then the just (calibre) tags, all the booktitle words are in the tag-list like "a, The (! >>>" - Is there a way to suppress these
Reader2 is offline   Reply With Quote