Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
But if it is touch screen I assume the sharpness will not be as good as without a touch screen. First I thought the specification looked like the .txtr reader but they had not touch screen if I remember correctly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was to get a new reader, I'd wait till the larger screens were available.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Will it be hanlin clone? V9x series?
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
BeBook or Txtr... BeBook or Txtr.... damn choices!!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
I'm excited.

Now show me some pictures, tell me the touchscreen doesn't detract from clarity and that I can have wifi without paying for a 3g service I'll never use and I'll be more excited !
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #21
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

The official launch is scheduled for summer 2009, though you might be able to get a first glimpse of the new BeBook at the Cebit exhibit in Hannover, Germany next week or at the Paris Book Fair in Paris, France from March 13th to 18th.

What is the booth number on CeBIT? I may visit them next week but I didn't find any info about them on http://www.cebit.de website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so many exciting new devices, i really can't keep up... i think i need to win the loto to buy ALL of them !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hmm, kind of goes against my plan of freeing up some space around here by emptying the bookshelves, doesn't it...
Same here! So, now you need to win the lotto for a big apartment so you can showcase all your readers! And 10 readers still take less space than 10 books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
What is the booth number on CeBIT? I may visit them next week but I didn't find any info about them on http://www.cebit.de website.
I know Netronix will be there. (Hall 19/D64)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But if it is touch screen I assume the sharpness will not be as good as without a touch screen.
Depends what type of touch screen is used. If it's a resistive touch screen, such as the PRS-700 has, where the touch-sensitive layer is on top of the screen, then yes, it will inevitably affect the screen clarity. If it's a capacitive or an inductive touch screen, nothing goes "over" the screen, so it shouldn't affect the image quality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if this announcement means that BeBook are abandoning their current "read every format" policy and concentrating on ePub only? In many ways, that would be a smart move. It's arguably better to read one format really well than a dozen formats poorly.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wonder if this announcement means that BeBook are abandoning their current "read every format" policy and concentrating on ePub only? In many ways, that would be a smart move. It's arguably better to read one format really well than a dozen formats poorly.
You are mixing up DRM and format. Why should they remove format support just because they change which format has support for DRM?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The original announcement says "ePub support (with and without DRM)". It wasn't clear to me whether this means that ePub will be the only format supported, or whether ePub is being added to what's already there. Do you know?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
They will be presenting it at the booth of their German distributor, MacLAND. More info here:

http://www.macland.de/55+M5b1c4eaa8ef.html

Btw, if you could manage to shoot some photos for us that would be great.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #28
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I'm always excited about new devices that will gradually approach the holy grail of the perfect ebook reader and I can see that wifi is a possibly good feature to have but I dont really see the benefits from a touch screen, its smacks a little of gimmicky when buttons work just fine. Am I alone in thinking like this ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I'm always excited about new devices that will gradually approach the holy grail of the perfect ebook reader and I can see that wifi is a possibly good feature to have but I dont really see the benefits from a touch screen, its smacks a little of gimmicky when buttons work just fine. Am I alone in thinking like this ?
No, you're not. Personally I can't bear to have fingerprints on a screen and prefer hardware buttons. Touch screens, however, do seem to be generally regarded as "better", so I guess that's probably what all future devices will have. As long as they at least have hardware buttons for page turning I can live with it .
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #30
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're not. Personally I can't bear to have fingerprints on a screen and prefer hardware buttons. Touch screens, however, do seem to be generally regarded as "better", so I guess that's probably what all future devices will have. As long as they at least have hardware buttons for page turning I can live with it .
I agree about the smudgy screen. Our Canon printer at work is touch screen and it is always a little smudgy and also the button action is a bit hit and miss and clunky on the screen.
And my nieces touch screen Nintendo DS is scratched pretty badly through using the stylus all the time.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote