Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Anyone use a Galaxy Tab 3 - 8" version?

I've been thinking about getting a small tablet, primarily for reading e-books, but also to surf, e-mail, etc. I've read here about the 7" Galaxy (and also the Nexus 7), but don't recall seeing anything about the 8"' which seems to have much better specs. Anyone here have one? If so, which apps for reading do you use? TIA,

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have it, and I like it much more than 7". I don't use a lot for reading but for surfing and reading forums, and it's very nice. I have calibre companion, too, and I believe I have aldiko for reading. I like reading only for a small time (I prefer my ereader for reading).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
I've been thinking about getting a small tablet, primarily for reading e-books, but also to surf, e-mail, etc. I've read here about the 7" Galaxy (and also the Nexus 7), but don't recall seeing anything about the 8"' which seems to have much better specs. Anyone here have one? If so, which apps for reading do you use? TIA, Plumadona
I use Mantao and FBReader because both do a good job of two column landscape. The only problem I have with the Tab3-8 are the touch switches on the bezel. I'm constantly touching the back switch by mistake. If they were all push buttons like the home botton, all would be well.
Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both. By the time I decide, there'll be a whole new crop of gadgets!

Plumadona
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
thejamesongirl
thejamesongirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have the seven inch Galaxy Tab and I love it. I'm able to load ebooks easily via the memory card and I use the Cool Reader app to read the .epub and .mobi ebooks I have. However, I recently purchased a dedicated ebook reader because the battery life on my tablet goes fairly quickly when I'm reading.
thejamesongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have the note 8 version of the Galaxy, and I love it. For me it's the perfect size. I still use one of my e-readers for serious reading, but I do everything else with my note 8. I just wish I could print easily with it, but Android is a pain in that regard.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I have the 7" tab plus and the 10" tab 3. The 7" is a good size for travel and reading in bed, but the screen is a little small for web surfing. The 10" is a good size for web surfing but it is too heavy to hold for reading in bed. I have the same problem as Jabby; the switches for the 10" on the bezel. I wish the switches were along the bottom edge of the screen, as they are on my 7".

That all being said, I had a chance to use my wife's iPad mini (which has approximately the same screen size as the 8" tab 3) and that screen seemed to be good for reading in bed and surfing the web.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have the note 8 version of the Galaxy, and I love it. For me it's the perfect size. I still use one of my e-readers for serious reading, but I do everything else with my note 8. I just wish I could print easily with it, but Android is a pain in that regard.
I have the Note 8 also and an Epson printer and have not had any problems printing. Is you printer 'eprint friendly'?
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have the Galaxy Tab 7" and 10" and also the Galaxy Note 8" and my favorite is the 8". The 7" was great for reading but anything else (internet, mail, etc) was a bit cramped. The extra inch on then 8" made it perfect and still small enough to use as a reader. The 10" was too big to use as a reader. While traveling, I found I could do everything I needed to on the 8" and probably could leave the laptop at home.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I have the Note 8 also and an Epson printer and have not had any problems printing. Is you printer 'eprint friendly'?
Sadly no, it is a Brother MFC that is only Wifi accessible through our router. I am currently looking at getting another printer, but we need a multifunction LaserJet and those are expensive...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Plumadona
Groupie

Thanks again, one and all. Great info!

Plumadona
Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
New tablets should be released soon so I would check into those by Samsung.

My recommendation? LG G Pad. Read some reviews if you are interested, nice specs and good bang for buck.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-04-2014 at 05:12 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote