Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Did Amazon clean up their product images for the PW?

Looks quite obvious and conclusive IMO... I took their product image and pushed the brightness and contrast levels:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PaperwhiteDoctoring.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	93856
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See how the background is "perfect" in all of the whitespace, but splotchy around the word Prologue and the text? Also notice the squared off editing of the edges of the screen area, especially along the top?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
See how the background is "perfect" in all of the whitespace, but splotchy around the word Prologue and the text? Also notice the squared off editing of the edges of the screen area, especially along the top?
Product Photos are not good representations of what you would see in person. Product photography is usually done in such a way to make the product look its best.

In this case, what you are seeing is the limitations of jpg compression. The background is "perfect" because the background is essentially one color.
Dc5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5e View Post
Product Photos are not good representations of what you would see in person. Product photography is usually done in such a way to make the product look its best.
True, and fine... *IF* it's an actual photograph, but photoshopping away the negative aspects is misleading.

Quote:
In this case, what you are seeing is the limitations of jpg compression. The background is "perfect" because the background is essentially one color.
No, it's not. Jpeg artifacts would *NOT* give the very clear squared of stairstep pattern across the top.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Dc5e
Dc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and graceDc5e herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
True, and fine... *IF* it's an actual photograph, but photoshopping away the negative aspects is misleading.
Yes, it is misleading. But everyone does it. Whenever you see products with displays, they pretty much always touch it up, especially in commercials. You'll sometimes see disclaimers saying that it's just a representation.

Quote:
No, it's not. Jpeg artifacts would *NOT* give the very clear squared of stairstep pattern across the top.
I'm not sure where that photo originated from but I'm pretty sure those are artifacts. If it were touched up, it would look better than that if it wasn't compressed.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
I agree with twowheels on this. Even if the display was perfectly even in real life, it would be pretty much impossible to get the lighting perfectly even (whether the light is from the PW itself or from an external source) to get the perfect background that you see here with the contrast cranked up. They've obviously smoothed over the "white" parts of the image.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Dc5e

Yeah, I mean, just go to B&N's website and look at the nook with glowlight. I'm pretty sure they don't look that good... Like I said, pretty much everyone touches up their product photos.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm sure Amazon's photo's are tweaked as are B&N's, Kobo's, Bookeen's and everyone elses (even for some of the non-lighted readers) I don't think anyone has given us images that truly represent the devices in 'real life' conditions although I could be wrong.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I think the problem is that the difference between the marketing images (and even the unit they had at the press conference) and the average consumer unit is so pronounced. If it weren't, I don't think this conversation would even be happening. I mean, I think most of us are realistic enough that if we stop and think about it, yeah, obviously ad photos are enhanced to look as flawless as possible. But as technology keeps evolving so fast, and so many new gadgets come on the market (particularly stuff like newer Apple Retina display tech), we're just not used to there being such a huge difference when the real-life unboxing occurs. If anything, we're used to being totally awed when we first power up the new gadget.

I really hate to invoke a brand name and invite possible unintended flame wars, but I've never failed to be even more impressed with the real-life product when I've unboxed something from Apple.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
I remember when I unboxed the Kindle 3. I was awed. Thought they put a sticky tape on the screen that tells you to plug the unit in! I even tried to peel it off!
I did not feel cheated like you guys do while doing the beta testing for the Kindle Paperwhite.
Oh my I guess when they bring the KPW to Germany next year nobody will remember the startup problems anymore!
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
JPG artifacts are frequently apparent in 8x8 blocks (or tiles) similar to what's seen above. This would be most apparent in blocks that contain widely different values (like the border of the screen or areas around text).

I'm agnostic on this matter so far. Is there a link to the original image? I didn't see if at first glance.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5e View Post

The smoth background is not due to compression. It's due to photoshopping, and not oK. This is the first time I have purchase a device with a screen that looks completely different from the product pictures on the site.
I say something with a screen before people start using donuts and burgers as an example.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I think the problem is that the difference between the marketing images (and even the unit they had at the press conference) and the average consumer unit is so pronounced. If it weren't, I don't think this conversation would even be happening. I mean, I think most of us are realistic enough that if we stop and think about it, yeah, obviously ad photos are enhanced to look as flawless as possible. But as technology keeps evolving so fast, and so many new gadgets come on the market (particularly stuff like newer Apple Retina display tech), we're just not used to there being such a huge difference when the real-life unboxing occurs. If anything, we're used to being totally awed when we first power up the new gadget.

I really hate to invoke a brand name and invite possible unintended flame wars, but I've never failed to be even more impressed with the real-life product when I've unboxed something from Apple.
I agree. I am by no means an Apple fangirl, but I never though, gee, I wish my iPad's screen were as crisp as in their pictures.
Color me stupid, but I really did expect to get a device that looked like in the TV ads, simply because they were showing people using them. When they showed the old Kindles in the past on TV, they always ended up looking the same in your hands. Same with iPads/iPhones, the actual device was always like what you saw advertised. Obviously, the images had to be enhanced because you would otherwise see a glare, but, I am looking at my iPad as am I typing this, and it looks exactly like in the commercials and on their site.
The reviews confirmed that you can not even tell where the light sources were, unless you made an effort to look for them. Amazon explained how this even lighting is revolutionary and even. And, to top it all off, Amazon called this thing PAPERWHITE, which seemed to confirm all of the above.

Edited to add: My Nexus 7 looks the same as in the ads, like do my friends' Galaxy IIIs.

Last edited by xendula; 10-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Do bears do it in the woods? Can ducks swim? Will most women kill for and
love chocolate?

Nuff said!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Have you guys looked at you PW screens under direct sunlight? I turned brightness all the way up (not sure that was really needed) and looked at the screen outside and it look perfect. I think with really bright lighting the screen can look as good as the photos. Of course we don't have lighting like that all the time unless you live somewhere warm, only read during the day, and are willing to risk skin cancer
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote