Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't want to register him an account on my computer because my computer is already set up on my own iTunes account and I don't want to ruin it. I would hate for it to delete all my stuff or something if I try and log in with a different account!

I could set him up a US account while I am there and he can use gift cards on it, I guess, Is it easy for him to change it to a Canadian account once he is back here?
I'm not sure, whether an account can be changed that easily. But you easily can add another one. Each PC/Mac, on which you're using iTunes, has to be registered once to the respective accounts - that's all. Only issue: You have to use/remember 2 passwords/email addresses.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Easiest workaround:
You can register an US account with any valid US address.
Without entering any credit card infos.
If you want to purchase within this US account, you can use gift cards.
You get those gift cards with only minor uplift via eBay and various webstores.
I'm doing this for years to purchase US content here in Germany. Given the exchange rate, even with the uplift for the gift cards, it's about the same amount, it's usually an earlier release and I've got the English original.
Apple easily could block this. For example, I don't use VPN on my AppleTV. But this seriously would harm their business. Imagine US residents on vacation in Europe...
I've read somewhere, 75% of the US gift cards are sold/used outside of the US.

Later on, he easily can add a 2nd account for his actual Canadian address.
You permanently can switch between numerous accounts.
I'm constantly using a German account and a US one.
Apple's support on this matter has been exceedingly frustrating. My situation is similar to that of the OP's--I've an American bank w/foreign billing address--and they simply don't know what to do with me except give me incorrect information to suck up my time. They finally turned me over to billing--who can only be corresponded with via email--and I got the same run-around, stock answers which showed they'd clearly not even read my initial correspondance, i.e. "try paying with PayPal" (when I'd already stated this didn't work) and "purchase gift cards" which I was likewise unable to do for the exact same reason: I can't buy gift cards from Apple because they won't accept my credit card. When I told billing this, they said "oh, sorry..." and then suggested another alternative which likewise didn't work.

...when, apparently, all that needed to be said: you can purchase Apple gift cards from other sellers. So is this what you mean: order an Apple iTunes Gift Card from Amazon.com (or wherever), have it sent to me in the Czech Republic, and then use this to purchase Apps from the App Store? Is Apple.com really so... backwards ...that there's no other way to accommodate people who don't live next to their bank?
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Not so sure. Cannot open a German itunes account from Spain, although I have a German adress and a German credit card. So it may be checking the IP Adress.
I've opened a USA account from Spain without credit card info (for iPhone, not iPad). So, I'm not sure which the problem is.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've opened a USA account from Spain without credit card info (for iPhone, not iPad). So, I'm not sure which the problem is.
Me too, it works for a US account but nor for a german one. This is crazy. Thanks to mgmueller I now have the german account, but think of the hoops I had to jump through....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
Apple's support on this matter has been exceedingly frustrating. My situation is similar to that of the OP's--I've an American bank w/foreign billing address--and they simply don't know what to do with me except give me incorrect information to suck up my time. They finally turned me over to billing--who can only be corresponded with via email--and I got the same run-around, stock answers which showed they'd clearly not even read my initial correspondance, i.e. "try paying with PayPal" (when I'd already stated this didn't work) and "purchase gift cards" which I was likewise unable to do for the exact same reason: I can't buy gift cards from Apple because they won't accept my credit card. When I told billing this, they said "oh, sorry..." and then suggested another alternative which likewise didn't work.

...when, apparently, all that needed to be said: you can purchase Apple gift cards from other sellers. So is this what you mean: order an Apple iTunes Gift Card from Amazon.com (or wherever), have it sent to me in the Czech Republic, and then use this to purchase Apps from the App Store? Is Apple.com really so... backwards ...that there's no other way to accommodate people who don't live next to their bank?
It's extremely frustrating, I agree.
But it's not Apple's fault, it's international licensing and such.
We're lucky, that the "backdoor" of gift cards even exists.
It's similar with most providers: For Kindle eBooks you have to switch accounts as well. Only difference: You can use your country specific credit card in each of those Amazon country accounts...
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #21
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
But it's not Apple's fault, it's international licensing and such.
In my case: I disagree. First, my frustration stems first-and-foremost from receiving bad information: "try this, try that"... ill-informed employees passing on bad advice because they didn't understand the issue (because they either didn't understand Apple's billing policy or didn't read my e-mail stating my American bank/foreign billing address delima).

Second: I have no interest in purchasing books, movies, or music from Apple. I--like and increasing number of Apple customers--just want Apps, which have none of the international licensing issues. Perhaps only 1-in-1000--.1%--of Apple customers have the bank/billing-address problem... and of these, maybe only 20% want just apps and none of the other stuff. ...so at just .05% of Apple's customer base, I know we don't have much pull. :-) But please, Apple: can you set up some sort of account type such that any schmo anywhere with a credit card can purchase some freakin' apps?

...all i want for
Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
In my case: I disagree. First, my frustration stems first-and-foremost from receiving bad information: "try this, try that"... ill-informed employees passing on bad advice because they didn't understand the issue (because they either didn't understand Apple's billing policy or didn't read my e-mail stating my American bank/foreign billing address delima).

Second: I have no interest in purchasing books, movies, or music from Apple. I--like and increasing number of Apple customers--just want Apps, which have none of the international licensing issues. Perhaps only 1-in-1000--.1%--of Apple customers have the bank/billing-address problem... and of these, maybe only 20% want just apps and none of the other stuff. ...so at just .05% of Apple's customer base, I know we don't have much pull. :-) But please, Apple: can you set up some sort of account type such that any schmo anywhere with a credit card can purchase some freakin' apps?

...all i want for
But aren't all apps available in every iTunes store?
Can't you get the apps in the Canadian iTunes as well?
I'm permanently switching between US and German iTunes. But only for movies and TV shows.
For apps I haven't seen any difference so far...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't see how it's a 'licensing' issue. My stepdad is a Canadian resident who has a Canadian address and credit card and bank and wants to register for an account in iTunes Canada. The only issue is that he happens to be physically located in the US at this precise moment...

I'm going there in a week, so he'll probably leave it until I come. I am going to suggest to them using the US address for now with a gift card.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't see how it's a 'licensing' issue. My stepdad is a Canadian resident who has a Canadian address and credit card and bank and wants to register for an account in iTunes Canada. The only issue is that he happens to be physically located in the US at this precise moment...

I'm going there in a week, so he'll probably leave it until I come. I am going to suggest to them using the US address for now with a gift card.
By "licensing issue" I meant, they want to avoid scenarios, someone with a P.O. box and virtual credit card purchasing content from elsewhere. But of course you're right, for someone on vacation, a business trip or something like that it's really annoying.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
vonCZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
yes, as far as I know.

I don't think I explained myself very well. You said Apple's hands are tied because of international licensing issues. This may be true, and perhaps that's the reason I can't purchase anything with a foreign billing address. Otherwise, anyone from Thailand, Japan, etc could simply set up an American account--with his Thai or Japanese credit card and billing address--and buy stuff as an American could... before licensing agreements were in place to make various media available in those countries. In this case, I can see how international licensing agreements might apply. [on the other hand: why couldn't a Thai or Japanese do this very thing if Japan and Thailand were also covered under Apple's current licensing agreement?]

Anyway, in my case: I don't want to buy movies, 'tunes, or books. Just apps. So if Apple is indeed restricting from selling stuff online willy-nilly because of licensing agreements, they could at least sell their Apps... which have no restrictions placed on them by Miramax, Penguin, or Atlantic Records, etc.

Currently there are two basic kinds of accounts, far as I can tell: 1) free accounts (which enable you to download just free stuff) and 2) normal accounts (with which you can download/purchase anything in their store). If your licensing agreement theory is correct, I'm advocating a third type of account: an in-between account through which I can purchase just Apps... and anything else, I guess, not restricted through licensing agreements, but at least Apps.

Listen up, Jobs: Angry Birds is on Android, too, and without the friggin' hassle!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Can't you get the apps in the Canadian iTunes as well?
I'm permanently switching between US and German iTunes. But only for movies and TV shows.
For apps I haven't seen any difference so far...
Apps are country specific as well. It's up to the developer to choose which countries to allow it to be sold. Most of the time they are available everywhere but not everything is.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
I did not found anything blocking me while I am in EU. However I do miss the possibility to use public library books -overdrive - and some sort of paid video like Netflix. I will set up this things next year on my vacation in US. However if anyone can share HOWTO, please do so via PM. I am not US citizen.
Thanks
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizda View Post
I did not found anything blocking me while I am in EU. However I do miss the possibility to use public library books -overdrive - and some sort of paid video like Netflix. I will set up this things next year on my vacation in US. However if anyone can share HOWTO, please do so via PM. I am not US citizen.
Thanks
Netflix is easy.
Just use VPN on your iPad/iPhone/Android smartphone.
I'm using pureVPN, it's $ 6 per month (haven't found a free service).
In the pureVPN forum you find all the details you need for configuration.
VPN is simulating a US IP address. So you can use Netflix, Pandora and other services like a "real" US citizen.
I'm using Pandora frequently. I've used Netflix for a month, they have a flatrate for streaming videos (I'm just not into watching movies on iPad/iPhone, that's why I'm not using it anymore).
Netflix would be interesting for my new AppleTV though, so I may give it another try...

BTW: It's no use, to configure Netflix while in the US. Netflix and Pandora are checking the IP address in each instance. You'd be fine in the US, but back in Europe your account won't be working anymore (without VPN).
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #29
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Netflix is not easy if you are not a US citizen. The IP filter can be bypassed by a VPN service, but the problem is the payment: Netflix does not accept international credit cards. For me it worked to open up a new US PayPal account with my EU credit card and feed that to Netflix. But that’s a loophole that, for example, does not work on the iTunes Store so there is no guarantee that Netflix won’t close it someday as well.

Netflix is really terrific, though: for merely 8$ per month you can watch as many movies from the relatively large library as you want! The German streaming services are really pitiful in comparison ...
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
raymiles
raymiles began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, MacBook
I have had an iTunes UK account for some time and log on to it with no problem from my ISP here in Mexico (I can't recall where I was when I set it up, but it's registered to a UK address and a UK cc).
The other day I wanted to download the Kobo and Nook apps for iPhone. I switched to a US VPN (StrongVPN) and opened a new account with a different email address. Since the apps are free I didn't have to give any cc details. I can now log on to that account without using the VPN.
When buying books from B&N I don't bother to switch VPN using Strong VPN, since I only get 5 free switches a month, but use Hotspot Shield instead. I registered my Mexican debit card at B&N, but to a friend's address in NYC. It works.
raymiles is offline   Reply With Quote