Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #181
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
ScalyFreak, this happened to me (the library had the first and third of a trilogy in ebook format) and I emailed them, and they got the second book in.
I did email my local library, but I haven't heard back yet. I couldn't find a link to email the Singapore library.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #182
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Mine may be #21 (Los Angeles) but I don't have a problem getting books and ones I want to read.

I just had to update my waiting list putting some on my wish list. I've had 4 books come in less than a week to borrow and already have two I'm borrowing so I have six in right now to read. They are coming in faster than I can read them.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #183
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
According to their website, one of the elibraries I frequent should be on this list:

The Digital Download Collection: http://digitalbooks.moldi.org which is a consortium of 14 libraries across Ohio and Kentucky.

14773 ebooks of various formats.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #184
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
According to their website, one of the elibraries I frequent should be on this list:

The Digital Download Collection: http://digitalbooks.moldi.org which is a consortium of 14 libraries across Ohio and Kentucky.

14773 ebooks of various formats.

Yes, I have them on the list as "Columbus (OH)." Currently #13.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #185
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I heard back! The library said:

Quote:
The plan is to add the rest of the series toward the end of this month. Sometimes we can't get a whole series due to limitations in availability, funding, or licensing problems with the publisher. But this series looks like we should be fine.
I suppose those limitations do make sense.
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #186
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Yes, I have them on the list as "Columbus (OH)." Currently #13.
Ok. Not sure I would have labeled it that way, but I understand why you did.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #187
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I didn't see this mentioned but the Boston Public Library has 7,873 ebooks in their e-book catalog. Many are in Kindle and EPUB format. It also has 6,478 Audio books available for download. Both of these work through the overdrive system.

Anyone from Massachusetts can access and download through an e-card.

www.bpl.org
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #188
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
Ok. Not sure I would have labeled it that way, but I understand why you did.
It is called "Digital Downloads" on their Overdrive website which, of course, doesn't indicate location. So I chose the first city listed under member libraries which also helps others identify it.

Ohio's structure is that all Ohio residents can apply for a free library card at multiple locations.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #189
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I didn't know that service existed. It's (more than) a little annoying that if I lived in a smaller town I'd have access to more ebooks than in Toronto (~5300)! Yikes! On the other hand, I can reserve and walk over and get almost any pbook...
The good thing is, a lot of the small Ontario libraries will let anyone join for a fee, and for some libraries, it is quite nominal. For a 40 minute drive, $25 and a lovely morning spent in a quaint little town, I now have access to 5x as many ebooks.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #190
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Small bump to celebrate that my library came through with flying colors. They just added over 200 eBooks, including the entire series I was waiting for! If they keep adding books at this rate, they're going to end up with a respectable digital library after all.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
I didn't see this mentioned but the Boston Public Library has 7,873 ebooks in their e-book catalog. Many are in Kindle and EPUB format. It also has 6,478 Audio books available for download. Both of these work through the overdrive system.

Anyone from Massachusetts can access and download through an e-card.

www.bpl.org
I have a physical library card for the BPL. I am fairly close to the Roslindale branch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #192
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the issues we have with Overdrive and series is that you may not be able to get the first so many eBook in a given series due to them being published with a publisher that's not Overdrive friendly. So say a series has 10 books and 4 of them are published by Simon & Schuster. The first 4 might be available as an audio book, but they won't be available as eBooks as S&S doesn't all Overdrive lending. The last 6 could then be with an Overdrive friendly publisher. Some big popular series are like this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #193
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If there are books that are in the Overdrive catalog that my library doesn't have, they always add them promptly when I make I purchase suggestion.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #194
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm just glad to have access to the Navy's Overdrive library.

ebooks - 11473
Audiobooks - 22117
So is this something you have to join the Navy to get access too, or could you, say, hm, be the favorite daughter of a Dept of the Navy civilian retiree?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #195
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
So is this something you have to join the Navy to get access too, or could you, say, hm, be the favorite daughter of a Dept of the Navy civilian retiree?
Good question, I think you just have to be in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Your father may have access, I'm not sure. Check here. If he is eligible for an account you might want to help him create a login and password.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote