Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
SD cards cannot be read

After I had some trouble connecting my Irex to the computer via USB and removed and replaced the SD expansion card several times, suddenly my reader doesn't recognize any card. I only have 2 (and both were recognized previously). I reformatted one of them as FAT16 (even though FAT32 should work fine). But no use. Any ideas?

I restarted the reader several times already. If the card reader needs to be replaced, has anyone had any experience with that?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Not sure which device you are referring to.

However, I had a similar problem with my DR800 (would boot and then say something about no card found) and iRex suggested re-installing the firmware. Worked fine after that.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure which device you are referring to.

However, I had a similar problem with my DR800 (would boot and then say something about no card found) and iRex suggested re-installing the firmware. Worked fine after that.
Shaggy, sorry I didn't mention it, since it is in my signature. I have the DR800SG.

I have exactly the problem you described. But how can I reinstall the firmware when the SD card can't be read by the reader? Is there a way to do it from Windows 7 via USB?

Besides, even when I connect a cable the device does not appear as a disk drive on 3 different computers -- it is just charging.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Shaggy, sorry I didn't mention it, since it is in my signature. I have the DR800SG.

I have exactly the problem you described. But how can I reinstall the firmware when the SD card can't be read by the reader? Is there a way to do it from Windows 7 via USB?

Besides, even when I connect a cable the device does not appear as a disk drive on 3 different computers -- it is just charging.
Try this:

Extract the SD card from the DR and insert it on a PC
Then make a back up of the contents
Format it as vfat on the computer
Copy the original firmware on SYstem folder
Insert again on the DR and reboot
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard

Thanks so much, this is working and bringing my device back from the dead!

Kind of stupid of me, I suspected a hardware problem and completely forgot how to flash the firmware. Been so long since the last iteration.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-07-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Thanks so much, this is working and bringing my device back from the dead!

Kind of stupid of me, I suspected a hardware problem and completely forgot how to flash the firmware. Been so long since the last iteration.
glad you fixed it
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I know you solved it already, but just wanted to followup in case others see the thread.

What is actually happening is that the device can physically see the SD card fine, however something got messed up on the system such that it won't mount the card anymore. IE, it can see the card, but after the OS boots it can't find the mapping to it.

When you put in a SD card with a firmware on it, the firmware is automatically installed before any of the above stuff happens. That should fix whatever got corrupted in the system.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard

Fortunately that is what the problem was -- not a hardware failure.