Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Need someone to make ebooks of my novels for me

Well, it looks like Rwood got socked in with too much work (which really sucks, even if you're a masochist) and can't finish converting my Oort Perimeter novel to ebook. So if someone's interested, I've got books 1 and 2 out (Earthfleet series), plus a short story anthology that need converting to ebook (so they can be released for free here), and my ebook conversion skills are on the level of epic fail. So I figure to let one of the experts here have at them. If anyone's interested, let me know. I really, really want to get these out to you guys. You've waited long enough. ^_^;;

As for the formats, Epub definitely, and the other formats are at your discretion. Thanks in advance everyone.

Also, what's a good way to post or share the source files that will be converted? I could post them on my website, email them, etc. It's whatever you guys want.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Fantastic! I was just about to send a message to you asking if they had been converted. I was at your website and didn't see them yet.

Sadly, I don't have any experience in formatting, and really hope a more experienced member will be able to do this for you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'll do it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh, wow, that's so nice of you, Nate!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks nate!
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
nietzschedanced
nietzschedanced doesn't litternietzschedanced doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1
and my ebook conversion skills are on the level of epic fail.

I fear I shall soon join you in mediocrity. I just learned what OCR means. I suspected it was more involved than installing Abbey Fine Reader and owning a scanner.

Could an "expert" list a few hints at doing it right?
nietzschedanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's involved in the conversion process? Is there an electronic copy available that just needs to be converted? If it doesn't involve OCR, I can give it a go and end up woth ePub, LRF, LIT, Mobi, and eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nietzschedanced View Post
and my ebook conversion skills are on the level of epic fail.

I fear I shall soon join you in mediocrity. I just learned what OCR means. I suspected it was more involved than installing Abbey Fine Reader and owning a scanner.

Could an "expert" list a few hints at doing it right?
You do the Abbey Fine Reader/scanner bit and then you A/B compare the paper endition to the electronic edition. Then you make sure you have a good clean HTML copy when all is done and use Calibre to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Nah, all my stuff is in open document format. I use Open Office for all my writing.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
You can convert yourself, easily enough, using Calibre. Another option is to upload to Smashwords. They handle the conversion and distribution.

Good luck.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

lol. I tried calibre and ended up with something that looked like roadkill. >.<