Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
PapZ
PapZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Half screen gone blank

WTF, dare I say.

My prs-505 suddenly decided to reduce screen estate by half, as the lower half screen shows nothing no more. It was all of a sudden: I was loading a PDF book, and when it was done, I could see just the upper half. I thought it was an awkwardly formatted file, but the whole OS is cropped this way.
I can't help but thinking it's an hardware-related issue, since neither a soft nor an hard reset worked.

You can have a better idea by looking at the photo I've uploaded.

Since I live in Italy and I bought my Reader on a trip in the US in august, 2008, what do you suggest? I have relatives that live in the US, to whom I could send the Reader seeking for repair by Sony itself; but then they would have to send it back to me.
Would the whole procedure worth the while?

Here in Europe vendors of electronics are forced by law to issue a two-year warranty on all hardware failures; what about US laws?

Thank you in advance for helping me,

Francesco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto del 86253-12-2455178 alle 00:01.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	41087  
PapZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Almost without question a fault with the screen controller.

Given that it's out of warranty (it only has a 1 year hardware warranty in the US), there's really no point in sending it there for repair. Probably worth your while to get an estimate from Sony Europe as a "paid for" repair here in Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert