Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Calibre Metadata displaying on the PRS-T1?

I haven't yet opened my PRS-T1 as I won't be doing that until Christmas morning.

I was wondering if the OS in the T1 allowed for displaying the metadata on a book, for instance, the book description? I've attached a screenshot to show the information that I'd like the PRS-T1 to display. With a large collection waiting to sync with the PRS-T1, I'd like a way to read the info on a book so that I can pick a book to read from the library on the T1.

tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
I haven't yet opened my PRS-T1 as I won't be doing that until Christmas morning.

I was wondering if the OS in the T1 allowed for displaying the metadata on a book, for instance, the book description? I've attached a screenshot to show the information that I'd like the PRS-T1 to display.
When you've got a book open on the T1, you can access "Info" on the book via the hardware menu button. Some metadata is displayed there, but not all. Author, publisher, ISBN, and not much else IIRC.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
With a large collection waiting to sync with the PRS-T1, I'd like a way to read the info on a book so that I can pick a book to read from the library on the T1.
I don't think T1 has any built-in function to access all the info; especially the summary or reviews section of the metadata.

One workaround is to put a check mark on the "Insert metadata at start of book" under Structure Detection. This way, you can read the summary/reviews as 1st pages of the book. But this also means you would need to convert your ebooks.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I use the "insert metadata as page at start of book" feature of conversion. Since I have to open the book anyway and press "info" to see it anyway, then I just turn the page after the front cover and I see all of the included metadata.

It's very useful to me because I can hand-edit anything I want in that comments section. (aside from the standard metadata that calibre looks for) I can remind myself why I was interested in the book to begin with.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hmmmm thank you for the idea. I might look into figuring out a way to do this as a batch job to the books on my reading list in calibre.
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
tayseidel
Zealot

Thanks! I did a few books individually to make sure the structure of the epub remained intact and it did. I've batch converted my Star Trek list. This is an acceptable workaround, it is great in fact. When I had the PRS-505, I had to manually bake in the "book trailer" in Bookdesigner 4. Using the insert metadata as first page option in Calibre makes it seem like the best invention since sliced bread. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
And don't forget that you can customize your jacket so it can include all the metadata you desire, not only the standard metadata.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
When you've got a book open on the T1, you can access "Info" on the book via the hardware menu button. Some metadata is displayed there, but not all. Author, publisher, ISBN, and not much else IIRC.
Just a follow-up: I created a book with Sigil that had all the metadata set from the "Basic" page of the GUI. Only the following items are shown:

dc:title
dc:creator opf:role="aut"
dc:publisher

The following are not shown, which is a bit disappointing:

dc:date opf:event="modification"
dc:rights
dc:subject
dc:type
dc:description
dc:date opf:event="creation"
dc:contributor opf:role="trl"
dc:date opf:event="publication"
dc:language

In addition the T1 displays:

(the book cover)
Format (i.e. EPUB or PDF)
Date (date loaded onto the device?)
Size (size of book file)
Location (i.e. "Internal Memory" or presumably SD card)
Path (e.g. Sony_Reader/media/books/testbook.epub)
Digital Rights (for DRMed files, e.g. "Full, viewable". Not the same as dc:rights)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote