Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #91
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Taping a record isn't something you would do in public or advertise in front of the whole world, so it would have been pretty much impossible to prosecute.
I'm pretty sure that many teen films in the 90s had a guy give a mix tape to a girl.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
Probably just throwing petrol on the flames, but...

Here's the scenario; I have several dozen metres of books in my study, Hardback editions of authors I particularly like, Paperbacks of many, many, others. In some cases I have multiple versions of the same book, different covers, earlier editions, etc.

However, I have the opportunity to download the collected works of these two of my favourite authors to fill my new eReader, in non-DRM'd ePub format. These authors are Stephen King and Iain Banks, for example.

The Stephen King collection contains all of the Dark Tower series, which I don't like and have no physical copies of. It does have all of the books I own as well.

The Iain Banks collection has all of this SF and non-SF books, all of which I own, multiple times.

Now, it seems I have no legal right to download any of this, even though I would not be depriving anyone of revenue as I would not have bought the Dark Tower books and have paid for original copies of all of the others.

Would I be on stronger ground if I exclude the books I don't like/own from the download? Legally, of course, it makes no difference what-so ever as it seems that I am depriving someone, somewhere of profit. This is, in fact, not the case.
Mr. King's works are all available as legal eBooks; I would strongly urge you to buy them, if you want to have them in eBook form. The fact that you own a paper book does NOT entitle you to a "free" eBook, any more than the fact that you've bought a hardback version of a book entitles you to a free paperback.

I am doing exactly this at present: replacing my extensive mystery collection with (legal) eBooks, and selling the paper books on Amazon or eBay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #93
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I'm pretty sure that many teen films in the 90s had a guy give a mix tape to a girl.
I'm pretty sure you can simulate a crime for entertainment purposes, it would only be illegal if you actually carried out that crime for real.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #94
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can simulate a crime for entertainment purposes, it would only be illegal if you actually carried out that crime for real.
If they were capable to show that teenagers smoking was bad, they could have done the same thing for taping if they wanted to say that it was in any way a bad thing.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Giving someone a mix tape is not a "crime" - it's a case of civil copyright infringement, which the copyright holder would need to take action against, should they wish to do so - which is vanishingly unlikely.
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #96
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Is making a mix tape really a crime? It rather leans towards fair use if you'd ask me -- especially if used to impress a member of the fairer gender
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #97
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Does this mean that the chicks in the movies were impressed by the dude making the mix tape not because that showed he was a romantic, but because he was being a bad boy?

I guess nice guys do finish last
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #98
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Does this mean that the chicks in the movies were impressed by the dude making the mix tape not because that showed he was a romantic, but because he was being a bad boy?

I guess nice guys do finish last
Yep, it's always the bad bananas that get the girls!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #99
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mr. King's works are all available as legal eBooks; I would strongly urge you to buy them, if you want to have them in eBook form.
Or instead, spend the money on a trip to the Netherlands, where it is still legal to download books from any source. (But don't wait too long, legislation is going to change.)
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Or instead, spend the money on a trip to the Netherlands, where it is still legal to download books from any source. (But don't wait too long, legislation is going to change.)
It's not a matter of what's legal - it's a matter of what's right.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #101
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not a matter of what's legal - it's a matter of what's right.
Although I don't disagree with that; it seems companies don't have a problem with issues that are ethically dubious but are legally correct whereas consumers seem to feel doubly restricted to keep within both legal and ethical boundaries.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #102
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Although I don't disagree with that; it seems companies don't have a problem with issues that are ethically dubious but are legally correct whereas consumers seem to feel doubly restricted to keep within both legal and ethical boundaries.
*snap*
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Well, personally I feel that it is both morally AND legally "the right thing to do", to buy commercial eBooks to replace your paper books, if that's what you want to do. If your books are in good condition, you can do this at minimal or no cost. Eg, I look after my paperbacks so that they are in "as new" condition, and have sold many of my Agatha Christie paperbacks on Amazon at a higher price than I've paid for the eBook with which to replace them.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #104
Soldim
Not so important

Quote:
Well, personally I feel that it is both morally AND legally "the right thing to do", to buy commercial eBooks to replace your paper books, if that's what you want to do.
Oh, I fully agree. The only times I 'cheat' are when eBooks are available on Project Gutenberg, or here at MR that are not officially in the Life+70 public domain yet. The only exception there I would probably make when I'd want to buy a copy of Peter Pan -- though I doubt GOSH sees much of the Peter Pan revenues generated through Amazon US.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #105
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
The fact that you own a paper book does NOT entitle you to a "free" eBook, any more than the fact that you've bought a hardback version of a book entitles you to a free paperback.
It does if you convert them yourself (depending on what country you're in).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote