Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
One
One began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Force Kindle to open at cover page?

Is there a way to make new books open at the cover instead of the first page of text? I am kind of surprised publishers allow this as I, for one, love the feeling I get when I start a new book looking at the cover first and thinking of all the wonderful adventures I am going to find inside. Then there's the enjoyment of flipping through the Other Books By This Author, the title pages, and the Table of Contents. Opening instead at the first page of text and having to page back to the cover ruins some of the magic for me.

Not that big a deal but one more annoying thing some suit in some office decided I should prefer.
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That is a question of formatting. Apparently, most publishers set the beginning of text at the beginning of Chapter 1. Some mess up (in my opinion) and do not include prologues, etc., so I always hit page-back, just in case.

I personally do not care at all about seeing the cover. I'm perfectly happy starting to read the book at the beginning of the actual text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
not all ebook covers are built the same. i prefer to start on page one. the closer i am to the end that way.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
One
One began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The end will come soon enough.
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
I always like to see the cover, and it baffles me why publishers wouldn't set the book to start at the cover. Of course for music, cover art is becoming a thing of the past and I think that's sad. Way back in the days of vinyl, an album cover was frameable wall art.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert