Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
agione
agione began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Half of the screen just died

Yep, thats right. Was reading a book as normal, clicked the next page button and all of a sudden, half the screen was dead. Tried reseting it, plugging it in, soft resets and any other usful tips i could find in this forum.

I have attached some images as to what is actually happening.

Sucks that this is my first post on the forum. I haven't had any troubles with it at all so far, no indication what so ever that it would have failed and it has never been dropped and always in the original case.

Has this happened to anyone? or does it look like i have to ship it back? The crappy thing is that my relative bought it for me as they live in the states and brought it over to Sydney for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ereader_halkscreenblank1.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4086   Click image for larger version

Name:	ereader_halkscreenblank2.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	4087   Click image for larger version

Name:	ereader_halkscreenblank3.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4088  
agione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ouch.

I'm afraid that does look like a return it type problem to me.

Perhaps your relative can handle the warranty return for you? At least you've got someone in the States that you know you can trust to handle it for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
It does indeed look like a hardware failure. I hope you can sort it out with your relative. Good luck!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The white band is intriguing!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ouch!

I suppose a hard reset won't help here. Have you tried?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
dbdguam
dbdguam began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 650
My reader too

I share the pain. Two weeks ago I charged my reader and after charging the bottom half of the screen was all white and blotchy with vertical and horizontal lines running from edge to edge. I called Sony's 800 support number and was surprised to find myself talking to a guy in Manila. I live in Guam and have an office in Manila so we had a nice chat and I ended up sending the reader back to San Diego, I am now waiting for the replacement. If you need help, send me an email, I am a little closer to you than the mainland U.S. dbdguam@yahoo.com
dbdguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
agione

The hard reset is done from the little reset whole in the back right? yeah i tried that, didn't really do anything at all.

I guess i will have to send it to my relative in the states. Hopefully he can get it sorted for me...

Damn it, i loved reading books on the reader. 100x better than my old eBookWise i used to have. Kids unfortunatly dropped it on the floor so i can use that either these days. Guess i have to go back to the psp for now.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds like you're doing a soft reset -- the full instructions are here.

It probably won't work, but I don't see any reason not to give it a try.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
agione

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It sounds like you're doing a soft reset -- the full instructions are here.

It probably won't work, but I don't see any reason not to give it a try.
Yeah tried the hard reset and that didnt do a thing either... ohh well

Thanks for the the suggestion though.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
bluephoenix
bluephoenix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader - PRS500
My screen died too...

Hello,

I just posted this elsewhere on the forum. I have also a problem with my ereader screen.

3 months and 3 days after buying the reader, the screen stopped working (white and black areas starting from a central point, no physical damage on the surface, no mishandling between the time it worked properly and the time it ceased to work).

I sent it for repair. SONY says that I must pay $272 to repair the ereader. The warranty lasts 3 months, and their flat repair rate does not include screens. Now, a new PRS500 costs $298 (prices have dropped).

I tried to negociate with the customer service, with no success.
SONY has a sexy product but a terrible "after sale" policy (no worthy from them).

If anyone from SONY is reading this, and is willing to help, please react to this post.

((
Bluephoenix
bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

I wouldn't expect Sony to respond here-- they do seem to read us sometimes, but I think I heard/read somewhere once that they have a policy against participating in forums like this.