Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
USB Device Not Recognized

I realize this has been discussed prior; but, I continue to have an issue. I purchased a new HP ENVY laptop, I can not connect my reader. It connects to my old HP Pavillion laptop, new ASUS tablet--but not ENVY. I have wasted about 7 hours with SONY & HP; but no resolution--they blame each other. Two HUBS work with other devices (phone, IPOD). I tried a soft boot & a hard boot--really frustrating. Msg: USB Device Not Recognized. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's not clear from your post: Are you connecting directly via USB, or through a hub? I'd definitely skip the hub.

I assume you are using Windows? What version?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Likewise... skip hub... I've had three different ones give trouble with Sony but no problem with direct connect...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
As pidgeon and el said, ditch the hub. If you have, let us know your Windows version, what level of permissions your account has, and whether you have manually updated any of your drivers.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Sorry I was not clear. It is directly through a USB. I have Windows 7 (64bit) OS.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Oh, and the permission is as "administrator"; and I have done the typical updates with a new computer.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried using all the USB ports on the laptop? They are often not all "equal"; often, some ports have a direct connection to the USB controller, and other go through an internal hub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Yes I tried both USB's. And, I know they both work because I tried both of them with my HTC phone & Apple IPod. But, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Oh, and the permission is as "administrator"; and I have done the typical updates with a new computer.
Through Windows Update, or did you go to HP's website and get the drivers there? Windows Update is months behind, so if you used that method you may not have the latest driver.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
Sorry I was not clear. It is directly through a USB. I have Windows 7 (64bit) OS.
I never was able to get my HP Windows 7 (64bit) desktop to recognize my 950. It had no problem recognizing my 350 though. My HP (WinXP) netbook recognized both the 950 and 350 without any issues. I spent a lot of time researching the issue and talking with Sony and HP but was never able to solve the problem.

Since I've read quite a few people have this issue with the 950, I assume it is a Sony driver problem which Sony refuses to address properly.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
If you haven't tried a reset on the 950 and reformatting its memory, that might be worth trying. It helped with a Windows 7 64-bit PC I have, but not with another Windows 7 32-bit. Be sure to back-up the contents of your 950 if you do reformat.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

I did a soft and hard (backed up the info) reset, that did not help. I agree with jswinden that it is a Sony issue; but I can not get them to admit it or to help. I will continue to hound them. The bad issue is that I can not attach my device to my main working computer to transfer info, etc.