Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
I think I have fixed it - Horray

Give the PRS-600 a major heart attack, by deleting all the files except the actual books and MP3's (Background reading music)

Basically after analysing the "READER" and "SDCARD" virtual disks on my PC (I run XP)

1. I backed up the two Disks to my PC

2. On "READER" I deleted all information except that found in \database\media

3. On "SDCARD" I deleted all information except that found in \Sony Reader\books and \Sony Reader\audio.

4. My next post USB comms was the usual 12 mins.

5. The next post USB comms was 30 secs.

Success .....

Conclusion ... move the files on manually and don't use fancy Sony screwup software

I will try some large amounts of books tonight ... just because I can ... thanks for all the comments Guys and Girls they pointed out to me that there was something wrong with my machine ...

dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I have 96 ePub books in main memory, and 13 ePubs on an SD card (1 GB). From the time I pull the USB plug, it takes ~7 seconds to display the dimmed main menu with activity arrows, and another 10 seconds before the arrows go away. A total of 17 seconds from plug pull to usability.
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I've changed the content of the reader or not. BTW I'm using Calibre for reader support.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
dclavey
ePub Junky

Yes I'm using Calibra to get my daily paper. And convert Lit's into ePubs. Love it. Fantastic piece of software.

I will try an experiment of 1000's of books tonight ... onto a 16Gig SD Card

Here we go ....
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
dclavey
ePub Junky

This one gets odder and odder

Put on 600 ePub's onto the SD Card

- If I use Sony eBook Library software - It takes 12 mins between each USB insert before I can read any book.

- If I delete all the indexes (Cache) on SD Card - It takes 12 mins to rebuild indexes and then Just 3 mins before I can read any book - Success.

Conclusion - Sony software sucks at building its own indexes (Cache)

Add a 1000 lrf books to my 600 ePub's onto the SD Card = 1600 books

- It takes 1 hour and 1 min to rebuild the indexes

- It takes 33 mins to before I can read any book - Huh some success.

Conclusion - There is no way you can put 13,000 Books on the device (As sony adverts say) because it takes too long to enter the software after you have used the USB (even when you don't do anything with USB than recharge the book.)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclavey View Post
Conclusion - There is no way you can put 13,000 Books on the device (As sony adverts say) because it takes too long to enter the software after you have used the USB (even when you don't do anything with USB than recharge the book.)
If you have an AC charger for the reader (either PSP or the Reader specific one) that plugs into the round yellow port on the reader, you could conceivably do this. You can use the Reader while charging via AC, so I'm sure the reader would re-build its databases while charging as well.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #21
dclavey
ePub Junky

Good idea,

I tried 2000 ePub's last night but the 600 ran out of power before the index was built.

I here by give up! Because I like to get the daily papers using calibra and there is No way I am waiting 4 hours before I can read them !!!!!!!!!!!!

I will write a letter of complaint to Sony.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're using Calibre to catalogue all your books, could you not simply keep a few dozen books on your Reader at a time? I know it's a nuisance, not being able to have thousand, but it doesn't make the device unusable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Where do they actually state 13,000 books anyway as a matter of interest, on the sonystyle.co.uk site they mention 100s of ebooks or 1000s of ebooks with optional memory cards.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
dclavey
ePub Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Where do they actually state 13,000 books anyway as a matter of interest, on the sonystyle.co.uk site they mention 100s of ebooks or 1000s of ebooks with optional memory cards.

Sony site:

Quote:
Built-in 512MB memory easily stores up to 350 eBook titles, so you can carry all your favourite novels on-the-go. Add more memory with MS Duo (up to 16GB) and SD card (up to 16GB) slots for up to 13,000 eBook titles - practically an entire library
And it is true you could have 13,000 eBooks on the devices as long as you then never did USB comms again. So say you went away for a couple of weeks you could load up with the library, wait 12 hours for it to reindex. Then use it happily charging the device with the power supply not the USB.

Why would you want to do this? - because you can. (I'm a Guy)

The fly in the ointment is that I like to download a daily paper, and I can't get the papers onto the device without causing a reindex ...

Last edited by dclavey; 10-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #25
dclavey
ePub Junky

Seems the 505 has the same problem see here

Just exchanging my machine, according to Sony Support my machine is faulty.

Last edited by dclavey; 10-13-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:07 AM   #26
shineofleo
shineofleo began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
This is obviously a design flaw.

The 16G memory card support means highly possibly huge number of books in it. But it is ridiculous to re-index it each time the card is inserted.

At least there should be some switch or options to turn all these 'auto' stuff off. Sony should look into it.
shineofleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
busy, ebook, prs-600, sony